Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Southern Manners" a 1953 f100 build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Better hope some reckless speeding 17 year old doesn't wipe it out after all that hard work. That would be a bitch wouldn't it?

2. Brog

Brog

Yeah what I'm mostly worried about is all of those retards in my generation texting instead of driving.

3. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

Nice build , I'm currently building a 56 f100 as we speak.

4. Brog

Brog

Truck has been in OJ's shop (Clarke County Speed) where I usually get to work/help out. I've been OJ's "shop slave" as he calls it for almost a year now. He's taught me alot. We've been working on some good stuff together. The temporary 302 is going in mated to a tko-500 tranny, got a new original hood in excellent shape, and also Got a late 50's 9 inch axle.

Here is a preview, shits gettin' technical

Engine mounts that I made
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jhutch713

jhutch713

Love it, keep the pics coming. Great truck, great work. Keep it up. Mid-fifties rule.

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sweet truck! Awesome work so far !

7. Brog

Brog

This stage is done and onto the next one. Truck has been at Oj's (Clarke County Speed). Me and Oj have spent a good amount of time working on the truck together. I did not simply leave the truck at his shop and come back when things were all finished, that's not the way I do things. Motor and trans are in exactly where they need to be. Shifter had to be mounted forward and the floor pans had to be cut/notched. Mustang seats are also in on a beautiful set of risers made by me and OJ (I helped out with the risers but the idea and a very fair amount of the work is his credit). BIG THANKS TO OJ. For doing his share of the work, giving his time, and most of all being my mentor.

More pics to come.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. kracker36

kracker36

Cool truck buddy. Glad to see the 302 in there as well.

9. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Love those Ford trucks. Glad to see some young guys playing with old cars too. For the record, that girlfriend of yours appears to have this kind of thing in her blood being her Dad has been helping you out some.

Keep up the good work.

Andy from STL

10. Brog

Brog

Oh I know she does. She's into old vw beetles and has 2 of them we're workin' on. She's into all the old stuff with me 100%, except for the old school Harley I'm building next, haha something has got to go in the bed of this pickup

11. windsurf88

windsurf88

She sounds like a keeper. This "hobby" is a hell of a lot easyer when they don't hate what your working on.
    Also, nice truck can't wait to see it done. I just started building a 54 myself.

12. Great work so far,I think I have the twin to your truck...must have been the same previous owner,thought he would just weld everything together instead of nuts and bolts. By the way did the PO put a 55 grill and gravel shield on your truck? it doesnt look like a 53 ...it looks much better.

13. Brog

Brog

I'm assuming so. This truck has the original "Glacier Blue" paint on it in alot of spots. Looks like it was kept original for quite some time, someone drove it into the ground then someone started "hot rodding" (read: hacking) it. But I like the look of a '54 grill so I'm out lookin' for that

14. Brog

Brog

Seat Pics. Yes I know the seats are swapped, just mocking them up. My shitty cellphone pics don't do much justice for the risers. I'll get my girl to take pictures with her nice camera one day, that way it will be easier on yall's old, tired eyes haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Riser looks good!! plenty of storage!!!

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Haha ! Looking good man!

17. Brog

Brog

Oj stretched the stock floor/trans pan for me. I think we're gonna try and make it work.
    Here's how everything looks all mounted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

19. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Nice looking retrofit going on. Your welds are pretty damn good for first time out. Here is my 53.
    546040_4218296829053_1121145117_n.jpg

20. Brog

Brog

Haven't had much time or money to get much done, part of that is thanks to a bike build. I did however mock up the doors I got from "DeSoto" on here. Doors imported from good ol' California. Thanks to an extra set of hands to mock them up, all I can say is wow. I did have to hold them up a bit for the pictures, but you get the idea. Especially compared to what there was before (original overbondo'd door on bottom of first page).

I really feel like I have a fighting chance here, I think this one just stepped up from "piece of shit" all the way up to "mediocre pile of junk" here boys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The door actually matches the cab profile!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  21. cakes

cakes

Awesome build, I love the mid fifties f-100s

22. n847

n847

Good lookin build!

23. bigbackwindow1956

bigbackwindow1956

24. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Great Looking project !! You are doing a nice clean build. I used a 96 explorer rear sump pan on my Jag front end.It clears the cross member.Keep the pics coming.. Great job!

25. shadams

shadams

Nice, I swear your build is just like mine, wonder if the previous owner built ours one after another. Nice work you got goin on there. I cant imagine building a bike at the same time as my truckc, I wouldnt get anything done!! Keep it up...

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good work bro !!! you had a lot of bondo issues like my apache. as youve already found out with the doors, nothing beats fresh western sheet metal. look for deals man and itll save you shitloads of work , time and money. i want that big ol' tremec too !!!!:eek::D

27. Modernhippie

Modernhippie
    from Virginia

Nice truck! As to the girlfriend, I agree. VW's are the best.

28. Brog

Brog

That's her above, her trailer in her photo album is what this truck will one day be pullin'

29. coupe man

coupe man

If your door hindges are org. and have some play in them you can drill out the 5/16 dia. pin,redrill the hindge to 11/32 and buy hindge kits from NAPA for late 60,early 70 GM and replace them.A little play at the hindge equals a lot at the end of the door.Those doors are36 in. wide.Those kits are about 6 bucks each.