Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers - Rules of the game

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillyB, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Try coming out to a couple races before you make up your mind.
    It's a great group,and the rules are well thought out,by a guy who knows what he's doing.
    Give it a chance,and I guarantee you will have some fun.:)
    If you can't have fun with these guys,you definitely need to re-evaluate some things in life.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

There seem to be several groups getting started, Sam's Central State Gasser Association https://www.facebook.com/68gassergarage/ , the Southeast Gassers Texas Style guys https://www.facebook.com/SoutheastGassersTexasStyle/, and the Dirty South Gassers https://www.facebook.com/DirtySouthGassers/

loudbang likes this.
  4. Brother, you live in Macon Georgia. I drive down from Canada to watch these guys do their thing, and it's worth the drive. Wish I could do it more often.

5. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Flying in from the UK to watch these guys get it on in Knoxville!

Sent from my SM-T550 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

These guys put on the Best Drag Shop around and are stealing the thunder that the NHRA used to have back in the 60's.

I for one love what the are doing and it's just pure drag racing without all the electron crap on the cars.

Beware go to one of the Southern Gassers Shows and you will be hooked for life on this style of drag racing.

Jimbo

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea I'm here just not much time to post. willy b is doing a good job so far but i have my eye on him LOL.

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Here is the latest official video. Search "Southeast Gassers Official" in youtube and have a supply of beverages handy. This one is an hour. Others are about 30-45 minutes.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the great show, good luck !

catdad49, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. WillyB

WillyB

I left drag racing when it was still heads up, class racing, 1966.
    Handicap racing , to me, is boring... because one car always leaves first and the race
    is actually the last 200 feet! With heads up, from the reaction time at the tree all the
    way to the win light, the cars are closer. Last Southeast Gasser show, there were drive-by
    wins, with guys stretching it out on the top end to catch up and pass their competitor.
    With bracket racing you never really see the reaction time, unless one guy passed out at
    the tree.

catdad49 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  11. Another interesting take.
    But like I told 34Larry , there will be plenty of heads up racing at the US Nationals on Thursday and Friday. I'm sure those guys would love to have you there.
    Ask Danny Byrd..He'll tell you.

CudaChick1968 and loudbang like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

You're gonna Love It! Too bad you can't bring the truck in your carry-on. Don't be afraid to approach these guys, they are a great bunch!!

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

The best true nostalgic heads up show going. The rest are old car bracket races.

14. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Digging up an old thread from a year and a half ago. I noticed a lot of interest from Oklahoma/Texas and surrounding areas in this thread. As many of you may know, I now live in Oklahoma. My job allows me to travel all over the state. I would like to maybe meet some of you (face to face if possible) to talk about our cars/common interests. Being an active member in SEGA for quite a while and even being fortunate enough to win a couple, I would be glad to talk about my experiences and answer any questions and listen to your views and opinions about this type of racing. Please feel free to contact me via PM or just post on here if you want.

15. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm so old.....I usta watch Gene run when he was row'in a 4 speed! Usually him and Ed Skelton for the trophy. He deserves a "pass"...leave'em alone!
    6sally6
    6sally6

powrshftr and catdad49 like this.
  16. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love the SEG follow races & bunch of builds on line but: why the hate of bracket races? Allows me to run the hardest I can ( afford ). Have to cut a good light & run my dial in. If someone else builds a $100k car then slows it down with electric shit & I can beat him with my cheap junk I feel happier. At least I can race & have fun with my hobby on a budget. Sometimes it means just go to Friday day tnt & run some friends. Give me the cash & i’ll build a blown Hemi & stick trans & tow all over south east - I live 10 miles from local track now & have fun with my hobby.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I don't "hate" on bracket racers. I was track champ 2007 at Mid Michigan Motorplex and went to Indy for the NHRA Division 3 finals and ran the race of champions. Bracket racing has kept drag strip gates open for the last 50 years. But you have to admit that bracket racing draws zero paying spectators in the gate. I can also say having won big money bracket races still does not compare in my eyes to winning a heads up elimination race that pays $300. I've done both. Some of my best racing friends are awesome bracket racers. I don't look down on them and some of them don't get what I do now. Heads up racing isn't for everyone. Bracket racing for some is better than not racing at all. To each his own.

The point of SEGA was to try to go back before bracket racing was invented. To a time when the stands were full of spectators. Can't argue that has been accomplished. Many people long for that again. Many of those folks left the sport when bracket racing came to be and are now coming to SEGA races in droves from literally all over the world. I think that is mostly the points being made here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

What part of Oklahoma are you in now?
    Never mind just flipped through your build and see you are OKC

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Well said, Rusty! Hope OKC is treating good. Great article on the Bad Banana, Carp.

20. old sparks

old sparks

it always evolves into a rant against bracket racing. one thing no one can deny is bracket racing is the best thing that's happened to race tracks in 50 years. it allows racers with a limited budget to have fun. class specific heads up cars are more fun to watch but the back gate keeps the track open. just a rant and I wish seg the best

AmishMike likes this.
  21. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Wow, just found this thread. Good stuff.

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Having started my driving career when a flag man waved us off and a handicap start was car length's.
    Then seeing the Christmas tree come in which allowed handicap starts. I raced in the first bracket race at Miami- Hollywood with my 55 Chevy . They had 5 brackets based on E.T. Then ran the 5 winners in a king of the hill format.
    Then I got involved in stock eliminator racing and modified eliminator racing.
    Having crewed on alky funny cars after getting out of the army gave me a taste of heads up racing.
    Not being able to afford my own car , I went dirt track racing until our local track closed.
    Bracket racing was my only hope to stay involved. My avatar gave me a chance to get back into heads up racing, but it was in Super Gas which is the stupidest racing I have ever done . Guys build 7 second cars and slow them down to 9.90. Thankfully nostalgic racing was getting popular and a group out of the Carolina's started up and my car fit into the B/Gas category.
    Divorce ended that and the car got sold . Then along came Quain and an idea to bring back the 60's.
    Whether I can be competitive or not my Morris Minor small block Ford 4 speed car will be in the staging lanes next season and this 69 year old will be reliving his fading memories.
    Thank you Quain.

23. tpw35

tpw35

We are working on rules so altered wheelbase A/FX style cars will have a class in the southeast gassers, They have 2 cars running exhibition races now, the Dixie twister and the Georgia shaker , if your interested you can look at the current A,B,C gas rules to get an idea on approved parts and the appearance of the car, the A/FX cars will run a 4 speed like the other classes, they will also be required to move the rear axle forward and the front wheels forward.

catdad49, Fiddle Picker and Gammz like this.
  24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Rusty I love what the SEGA boys are doing and your Bad Banana has been one of my favorites all along. Look forward to maybe getting to see it person soon now that your much closer to home.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Love the SEGA. Obviously so do a LOT of Other People. I Bracket Raced in 70s, still enjoy Brackets, with Real guys running, over corporate computer (George Jetson) cars running now. By the way, yesterday NHRA(No Hot Rods Allowed), announced that for 2020 Pro Mods will be a Touring Professional Class. That will be exciting; Pro Mod Camaros, Pro Stock Camaros and Mountain Motor Pro Stock Camaros. woo hoo. In the 1970s There was a guy with a 15 second Lemans that won a LOT($$$) at St. Thomas Dragway(Canada). The most competitive guys in the faster classes always wanted to run him, at the end of the day. SEGA is all Positive and Fun to watch. Although it has NOTHING to do with the show, I am curious about E.T.s & mph. I LOVE the Variety of Cars & Engines. Quain got it Right. I'm located about 40 minutes North of Toronto, Ontario, so hopefully Sega in Indiana in 2020.

Fiddle Picker and catdad49 like this.
  26. galaxie68

galaxie68

I understand having rules in place to keep the cars period correct. I have read there rules for gassers and super stock. And it goes beyond just that it is more like a dictatorship of one mans idea of what they want the result is all very nice cars that all have the basically the same look and performance. Also not a chance to race a car and make improvements as you go. I liken it to Bill France Sr. and his ego driven nascar rules. Just my opinion, and we know what thats worth.

1971BB427 and Callmaker like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I _ _ confused.
    Pat, can I buy a vowel?

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

One guy, @Quain Stott started the SEGA. One guy took the financial risks. His game. His rules. There are tons of tracks out there that let guys bracket race without the restrictions. Tons of so called “nostalgia races” without the SEGA rules. I would look into one that fits your criteria, rather than asking an organization to mold to your requirements.

Just a casual observation.

ottoman, loudbang, Tman and 5 others like this.
  29. Why not come and run by the rules instead of bashing them with your worthless opinions. We had over 70 cars at the race this weekend from as far away as Texas that could have run anywhere else they wanted. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it and nobody would come out to watch. We had a packed house!
    This is meant as a response to galaxie 68, not you.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, they're putting on a show. I don't get into it, either...but I'm still glad they do it, and it's neat to see how many cars they've got in the program now.

catdad49 likes this.