Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

On occasion.......Working in the Drop hammer shop now, smashing out parts, making patterns, making dies out of Kirksite, and working on retirement.......SOON!

I'm ready to pull up my pants and move on!

Roothawg likes this.
  2. Thanks

3. My clutch deal is still up in the air right now.
    Any suggestions?

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

The Southeast Gassers are sponsored by Ram Clutches, so I would think that they have exactly what your going to need.
    Take a look and give them a call: http://www.ramclutches.com/

Quain Stott likes this.
  5. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

I use a McLeod softlock and a Jerico trans in my camaro but was very pricey. Quain told me he is using a Ram clutch and a Hightower trans in his car. He says the Hightower is $1000.00 cheaper than the Jerico and just as strong. I am looking for a more economical setup for my dad's Gasser but have no experience with the Ram clutches. That's why I asked. Keep up the great work!

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Ram makes 2 different clutch's just for the Gassers. Ram sponsored my pro mod for 17 years. We did a lot of R&D together. So when I went gasser racing I worked with them and we came up with the perfect set up. They give me a special deal to pass on to the SEG members. The phase 1 set up is $1,090 for the disk, aluminum flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing, even the flywheel bolts. That's also shipping to me but I can have it drop shipped to your door might be a few dollars more. Phase 1 is for lower power light cars. (white Trash Anglia has this setup). The phase 2 set up is $1690 and comes with all of the above. Phase 2 will hold anything a gasser can dish out.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like you fixin to have some fun.
    Thanks for the clutch info Quain.

Quain Stott likes this.
  8. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

Yes, thanks for the info. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Quain Stott likes this.
  9. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

Don't want to hijack the thread but are the Ram units adjustable?

10. I'm sure they are, but I don't know how. You need to talk to Quain. I have never run one.

rt1976 likes this.
  11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Yes.. 2 adjustments. Base pressure and counter weight. PM me if you need to know more. They are an awesome piece.

loudbang, Quain Stott and rt1976 like this.
  12. Here's a picture of the RAM unit, its got a sintered iron disc

IMG_3630.JPG

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This pic is the phase 2 unit. The cheaper one don't have the sintered iron disk and don't have the trick aluminum reinforcement added to the doughnut. The aluminum reinforcement was added after some testing in the Pale Rider 55 chevy. And yes they are fully adjustable.

loudbang, Russman69 and rt1976 like this.
  14. Bugguts

Bugguts

This is going to be too awesome! I've owned a 65 Barracuda since 1983. Love having something different. Just took mine to the track this fall for fun. Had the most fun I've had with it in a long time. A 65 gasser is way cool. Looking forward to following along. Thanks for sharing.

15. Been a very good couple of days! Got the seat mounts done, steering box mounted, made and mounted steering column, fabed and installed clutch and brake pedals...used some really nice greasable, bronze lined bushings on the pivot end of the pedals, mounted master cylinder. Dash is just temp installed for now. Mowed the yard--on Thanksgiving day at that--and made a trip to Tractor Supply speed parts outlet. Things are going too good. Wonder what will happen to fowel things up? TG2.JPG TG4.JPG TG5.JPG

T-roaster, lawman, saltflats and 6 others like this.
  16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Bert

Inside is looking very good and you got the right steering wheel too, a black Grant dished 3 spoker just what we all used

Keep up the great work as she is right on target for a cool mid 60's gasser !!!!!!

BTW are you going to put a little roll on the inside of your rear fender cut outs ?

DND

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Quain Stott likes this.
  17. Yes, the body work will have to be last to do. There is quite a bit of over all body work. Too messy for inside. I will wait for early spring weather for outside work.

18. I guess I'm ready to go now. The guys at work decided that I needed some help on race day and got me these. All I need to do is keep them on the proper feet! SOCK1.JPG SOCK4.JPG

T-roaster, Magnus, lawman and 11 others like this.
  19. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Awesome build, I actually run a Mopar A833 in my gasser (behind my Chevy) Works pretty good but they need to be faceplated to work well, and they are kind of heavy. Quick question, what are you doing for your engine build? I have built quite a few BBMopars in my day so curious what your combo will be. Great build, keep it comin.

20. I know they are heavy, but I have three...so I'll use them up first. Engine will be somesort of a low block, small cube combination. This used to work pretty well in a # per cubic inch application. I'll start with carbs/tunnel ram and switch to Hilborns when everything else is sorted out. Either a 4:89-5:13 gear.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

From the looks of these new sticky tracks & tires a little weight up front might just help keep the front tires planted so you can steer it

I used 5.38' for the 1/4 in my 37'and was just right for 120 mph back then, but we were turning a lot less rpm too

DND

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Quain Stott likes this.
  22. I found a new set of bbc tri-five headers on Ebay. New headers that someone had cut the flanges off. Don't know why, but I got them for $117.00. Combined their pieces with an old set of Hemi headers I had + a set of Hooker flanges that were laying around to build my headers. Not bad for home-made. All the tubes wound up being < 1"> in length. Got steering linkage all fabed and installed. Turn the wheel right and the wheels point right--a HEADER1.JPG HEADER2.JPG HEADER3.JPG HEADER4.JPG lways a plus. Cutting and fitting my interior panels as I go, but not installing them til frame is finish welded and painted. Same goes for the door bars. Much easier to work around with them out. Have the last 2 weeks of the year off, so I'm trying to get all my little pieces parts together for a big end of year push.

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Really looking good, Headers look like they should.

24. Hey Hemibert, was wondering if it not to much to ask can you show the bracket and steering box mount you build for your Corvair box, a couple of picks on here would be nice, I plan to use the same box on my Willys.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Any reason why one side was installed with studs and the other with bolts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hipster likes this.
  26. It's not a corvair box, it's a stock Chrysler box turned on it's side. I've seen several street rods do it this way, so I thought I'd try it. Besides, it's what I had.

27. "Any reason why one side was installed with studs and the other with bolts?"

It's a junk block and heads. Studs didn't want to come out easily, so I just left them in.

hipster and loudbang like this.
  28. glrbird

glrbird

Ok, I was looking at the entrance of your shop and noticed it seems to be going underground. Is that the Bat Cave and you are building a Bat Mobile? Wish I lived closer to the SEG racing area, great car "Bruce"

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. ^^Ha! Probably! First shop picture shows a winged warrior in front of his Barracuda play toy. Yep, Batman may fit.

30. Sorry I seen the aluminum box and the ribs so took it that it was a Corvair box, so what Year And type of Chrysler Car, maybe something I could use instead of the Corvair box. People are telling me the Corvair Box may be to lite for the Willys, so am looking at all types, I will be using a drag link instead of cross steering it.