Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good to see you put some shade.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Southcross, yesterday my Dad, Nephew and I went to the SEGA race at Lyons Indiana. My hat is off to you and all of the Guys and Girls who race and help put on such a Fantastic race! It was the all time coolest drag race I have ever been to or watched. I can’t wait to see your car finished. My 18 year old nephew wants in the worst way to race with you guys. He has never raced before and I think we will start him off in brackets first. That being said, there is something truly magical about seeing screaming small blocks and four speeds racing heads up. If you already covered it, I apologize, but what kind of transmission and clutch are you using? If Muncies and Toploaders take that kind of punishment, I have an all new respect for them!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Southcross trust me I fully understand your header dilemma and my mopar isn’t any easier I cut the fender well out yesterday and started building headers because the only headers you can buy are multiple thousand dollars and me being a poor Kid can’t afford it so after 12 hrs and only getting 1 tube made and a couple of others started I now know why they are so expensive the one thing I can say is when I am done I will be able to get to every one of the bolts with a socket and be able to change all the plugs in ten minutes not ten hours lol anyhow don’t give up and keep up the good work

chryslerfan55, AHotRod, Gammz and 6 others like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

a complete Crites conversion kit and maybe an upper control arm relocation.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

6. Southcross, thanks for the response, I agree on the super stock class idea. As far as your engine, I’m completely with you on building your own. I have a great machinist and I will certainly build my own engines too. I’ve been doing engine work for 30 years and have trust issues when it comes to engines, besides, if something happens I only have myself to blame.

chryslerfan55, AHotRod, enloe and 3 others like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well today was a realization that those Doug Headers will not fit the car . Since modifying the engine compartment it is 24 inches at it's widest point . The motor with the headers bolted on is 27 1/2 inches.
    I could make up an inch with a hammer and some heat.
    It is my fault because I believed an ebay seller and I didn't do enough research. These headers will fit this car if I either put a straight axle under it or cut everything out and put a Mustang 2 setup.
    In the small print when describing these headers it says you must do a Mustang 2 and they will not fit the stock suspension. I found this out on speedway's website.
    On to plan B Colbyw has a set of Hooker chassis headers and then I can put the motor back in and get it running.
    In the mean time I am going to wire the car and finish up the brake lines and fuel system .
    Anybody need a set of big tube Dougs headers that are brand new ?

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

i have a set of headers you can have if the other ones dont work out - they are pretty nice - let me know if you want pics or measurements - they were very tight (rubbed) in my 65 mustang

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will take them if you don't need them. Send me some pics. Do you know what brand and what size are the primary tubes.
    That's why I love the hamb. Folks are not trying to squeeze people for every dollar and are willing to help out.
    We may be grumpy old men sometimes, but when there is a need we step up.
    Got my fuel line ran and my fuel regulator mounted. Got my solenoid mounted and partially wired.
    Won't get much done today. Have to work at the golf course.

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

they are pretty heavy/good quality - the flanges on the collectors are welded on if that helps with identification. no rust or pitting, just some clearance dings (nothing major) and cheap white paint.....IIRC they are 1 5/8 primaries -Will these choke your motor? I have your address from when I sent you the pitman arm Headers1.jpg

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

They look beautiful to me. Send them out and I will send you the freight back and one of my new t shirts as soon as we get them back from the company that is printing them.

AHotRod, Hang'emHigh, brEad and 7 others like this.
  12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

20200729_222357.jpg ready to ship tomorrow!

13. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

You are the man ! I will have to put your name on the car as a sponsor.

15. Wow...that’s why I’ve hung around this place all these years..I hope Someone pays ya back 10 fold..hell of a shipping box

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you pack a sticker " Headers By I Didn't Do It":D

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Don't worry it will be hand lettered because SEGA only allows certain stickers.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

DSCF3738.JPG DSCF3739.JPG DSCF3740.JPG Worked all day on the Comet and managed to take all of the OEM wiring harness. It had been cut and spliced together . I saved the wiring to the headlights and tail lights.
    Got the radiator mocked up with a pusher fan .
    Fabbed up a cable clutch pull conversion. Hope it works .A store bought kit costs about $ 160 and I have about 10 bucks in mine. Started trying something on my door panels . The plastic that use on dirt late models. A local shop has ends and pieces left over from a job. I get it real cheap. The guys are golfers and they bring me some pieces whenever they have some and then we play golf. DSCF3743.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  19. Looking great! I really wished I lived closer so I could come over and help out(learn neat, new stuff). I think the door panels are genius.

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well that explains a lot, wrong headers. I was following along and wondering why you were having so much trouble. I used to have a customer who brought me several Falcons and Comets with 351w motors installed to do custom headers on. They certainly weren’t my favorites but they weren’t that hard to fit a decent size tube in. And the 351 with it’s taller deck height had even less room at the spring towers than the 289/302 cars. The ones I really hated were the 427 Fairlanes he brought me.
    I hope you have better luck with the headers from Ididntdoit, you may have to drop the tie-rods out of the way and pull the starter during the installation but once they are in there they should fit ok.
    Your progress is impressive as always, can’t wait to see it running.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a little bit done today. It was our grandson's 26th DSCF3745.JPG DSCF3744.JPG birthday and him and his wife wanted to spend the day with us . So we played golf and then cooked out. Good day.
    Got my leaf springs all clamped and my rear brake line run to the brake hose.
    Got my cable clutch conversion bracket all painted and ready to install tomorrow. Got a box of stuff coming from Summit tomorrow . Then I can do a lot of the wiring and some more small projects.
    My headers should be here by Wed. Thrashing to make Alabama, but looking at Knoxville.

Thor1, chryslerfan55, enloe and 8 others like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

It fits ! The clutch cable bracket fits just like I hoped DSCF3747.JPG DSCF3746.JPG it would.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Mounted my charging lugs. Rules say they should be out of site on the Super Stockers. didn't want to roll the back window down after every pass and didn't want to crawl up under the car. So they are close to being hidden ,but easy to use. Made 2 brackets and used my license plate screws and drilled the bumper. There is a rubber filler panel that goes across from the body to the bumper that will keep the rain off of the back side of the lugs. DSCF3749.JPG

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not much got done yesterday as we had a false alarm. Our granddaughter is about to have her first child and we are about to welcome our 8th great grandchild, a boy . She thought she was going into labor yesterday so we headed to Cleveland to wait. False labor and a first time mom wasted my day.
    I did manage to get my Moroso front wheel studs installed last night and some more paint scraped off
    before I quit for the night.
    If anybody is still running drum front brakes and need to install the longer wheel studs to be legal and safe the Moroso part number is 46180. They also work on the rear if you still have stock axles with .615 stud shanks.
    I got an email from Fedex about my headers that ididntdoit1960 was shipping me. they went from Mass. to Conn. to Ohio to Va. to Nashville and were in Nashville on Monday. Fedex screwed up the bar code and shipped them back to Conn. to put a new bar code on and then ship them back and I should get them today.
    Almost a whole week wasted. Why couldn't Fedex attach a new label in Nashville or contact me. I would have driven up there and picked them up. It's only 2 1/2 hours from here. Better than wasting 5 days.
    Even the post office isn't that screwed up. Please don't blow up my thread with comments about the Govt. or your experience with shippers. I just needed to vent a little.

chryslerfan55, enloe, brEad and 12 others like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well the Fedex guy finally showed up with my headers wrapped in shrink wrap. No wooden box that
    ididntdoit1960 built to ship them in. Just the headers. This time they went through Knoxville.
    Fedex is one screwed up company.
    I test fitted them on the engine and because of the design of the Pro Maxx heads I had to trim a little off the mounting flanges to clear the heads and the head bolts. Not enough to get into the gasket portion ,just along the bottom.
    They are considerably narrower than the Dougs . I should have plenty of clearance as much as I have cut out of the shock towers.
    We will find out tomorrow when I try and install the motor and trans and the headers. Cleaned them up and shot some high temp paint on them today. DSCF3750.JPG

chryslerfan55, enloe, brEad and 9 others like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those look like Hooker 6901's, or a copy of them....

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its been a long time but they resemble the Cragar headers I put in my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon but in 1970. Super tight fit and I got greasy hand prints all over the nice white VHT paint on the headers during the install. As soon as I fired it up to break in the Sig Erson solid lifter cam all the paint burned off.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I found a number stamped on the inside of the flange . It is B 6101. Tried looking it up with no success.
    Has anybody seen headers with that number ?
    Only supposed to be 93 with 65 percent humidity for a high today. I was worried it was going to be hot this afternoon when I get off work at 1 pm. May have to wear a jacket.
    going to try and have the motor and trans in today. Working alone today so don't know how much I will get done.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the motor and trans back in the car and the headers will not fit. I took the motor mounts back off and the frame mounts off. The driver side slams into the steering box and the pass. side will not clear the scatter shield or the floor toe board.
    colbyw has a set of Hooker headers from his Falcon Ranchero when it had a Windsor . So I know that they will fit. I will get them from him at the Alabama race.
    In the mean time I will get the wiring done all the plumbing done . I can start sanding and priming the car so Llyod won't have as much to do when I take him the car.
    If hot rods and race cars were easy everybody would have them.

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Started fitting my Crites fiberglass front bumper today. The inside brackets lined right up.
    The outside brackets have to be moved. I got the driver side shortened and that put it in the right place.
    Tomorrow I will do the other side before work.
    I didn't even know these cars had a bumper bracket on the side of the bumper because the original did not have one. I will have to fab up something. The sides of the bumper needs to be pulled in closer to the fender anyway. DSCF3753.JPG DSCF3754.JPG

AHotRod, chryslerfan55, brEad and 9 others like this.