Register now to get rid of these ads!

south bebnd lathe offer $$ ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zbuickman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. zbuickman

zbuickman

The sale was closed up for the night. the lathe was still there soo ill hit it again in the morning... guess Ill be late for work again:)

Edit: heres a pic of one like it. its a 13x40 the one Im looking at is in better shape
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Nice lathe.
    I have a South Bend 10" "light" - stamped 10L on the end - tailstock just loaded with patina that looks very much like the one in the lathe pic.

Everything turns free believe it or not.

It was locked up when I got it, but soaking it in kerosene for 10-12 months freed it up pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interested?
    Make an offer....

3. toddc

toddc

Which ways are worn? If its the cross slide or compound slide adjusting the gibs would probably help a lot. If its the bed where the carriage runs its a real PITA. I used to work at a place that had a Hercus lathe ( very similar ) with 0.008" ( 0.2mm) wear in the bed under the chuck from doing small jobs all its life. It was fucking horrendous to use - nothing would come out parallel or smooth. The carriage would rock around on the bed. If the one you're looking at is like that - pass on it.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If a Prowler fits!! I've owned and operated Altas,South Bend -Reed&Drum, Clausing [sp] etc.,and yes if I was going to run a machine every day for the next 20 years that would color my decesion on what to buy. My "Chink" Accu-turn will out last me by a factor of 10. I'm much more inpressed with its' quality than my 20 year old big ENCO. Chinese mainland stuff 15-20 years ago was kinda like early 50s Jap stuff some good a lot bad. I am able to own tooling [rotary tables-co-axiaul indicators -bore gauges etc.] that if it wasn't for the Chinese I could never have afforded. I wish I could afford the big names but I can't . The import stuff might not live long in a production setting but I can't fault it for the use I will give it. As far as lasting generations my son doesn't hardly know his ass from a lathe so why should I worry about passing it on.
    Respectifualy , John Evans

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

Well I got it $1200 delivered to my garage:) 13x40 south bend no visable wear. there family was the original owner of the lathe. so it never saw "production" sweet.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That's a South Bend "Heavy" .you got a good deal. Have fun, after welding equip a lathe is a must have.

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Good for you! Practice with tool steel turning bits that you can sharpen on your bench grinder. Save carbide tooling for when you get familiar with the machine. This way you won't be breaking 5$ carbide tools.

My 10" came from a high school, had very little use also.

Get a keyless drill chuck for the tailstock, too. Saves a lot of time and effort when making bushings and sleeves.

13 is nice, brake drums and rotors , most will fit.

Frank

8. Heres my sad story and an offer to "HAMB"ers.

SouthBend 10 lathe,3 phase motor.

FREE :)

Heres the catch.

Was working fine until it fell over while being moved.

Cracked the gear casing and the gear handle controls off.Probably repairable but I got a smaller unit.

Balto Md. WILL NOT SHIP or PART OUT!

Come and get it.

Heres some pics.Contact me direct at

[email protected]

Attached Files:

9. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Do yourself a favor and find a good phase converter. The $100-150 are shit. They have no starting torque.

10. Whoever scoops this up, contact Dennis Turk. He got the parts I needed to restore my lathe. He restores machine tools, cars, airplanes. Very talented man and a real nice guy as well. Probably be only one or two hundred for those parts. Here's a link to contact him.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/member.php?u=72840

11. Skidmark, Where did you get South bend parts? I have an old 9" that could use some repairs but still work great. Picked it up for $900 about 8 years ago.
    TK

12. See my post above. This guy is an expert on South Bend, and others, and has lots of parts.

13. Congratulations, I think you did very well and free moving besides!:D

14. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Nice buy. I wasn't trying to talk you into a Chinese lathe, I was just showing what was available around here. I would take the South Bend anyday.
    I bought a 13x36 LeBlond Regal 25 years ago and have never regretted it. I went to buy a Bridgeport and my Dad talked me into buying the lathe the guy had also. glad I did.

15. For some of the stuff I am wanting to do I could use a minimum 16" swing - anything with a short bed available that a guy could fit in his garage with this size swing?

Steve

16. zbuickman

zbuickman