Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sources for old electrical connections?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gene-koning, Jan 21, 2019.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, I trying to reuse an old heater switch with the Bakelite knob as the heater switch on my project. The switch actually works, but it has two male flat spade connectors for the wires to connect to. These spades are 5/16" wide and have a raised section in the middle. Everything I'm seeing as female spades are 1/4" wide. I'm going to need to connect 12 gauge wires to this switch for the blower motor to handle the amps. I would really rather not have to file the edges of the switch terminals down so the modern terminal ends will fit, if I don't have to.
    Does anyone know where I can look for the yellow (10-12 gauge wire) female 5/16" wide spade terminals?

While I'm asking dumb questions, does anyone know how to pull off this Bakelite knob without killing it? I don't see any set screws, but I'm a little concerned about prying it up. Gene

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      45 KB
      Views:
  2. Dennis D

Dennis D

Try "theelectricaldepot.com"

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The knob pulls off … there should be a # 51 bulb in there. It appears to be a '46-'48 Ford switch.

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. These guys.…. http://www.riwire.com/

Look under 'supplies'. This is an obsolete size, you'll need a 'vintage' specialty supplier. They have the ones you need. Probably cost you a small fortune and you'll need the special crimper for them too. Be far cheaper to file them down to 1/4" size....

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

All of the above only have spade terminals for .250 wide (1/4") and they do not fit on the switch terminals. I need female spades for terminals .3125 wide for a 10-12 gauge wire.
    Any other suggestions?

302GMC thanks for the heads up on the knob, hopefully it will pull off and still be intact. The switch and the panel came from a swap meet years ago, I had no ides what it came off of.
    Thanks Gene

7. According to RI wire, that's a GM size, although it could have been used by others.

8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

10. F&J

F&J

...or drill out the spade centers and use a small machine screw & nut. Then use a common eyelet terminal.

All of the heater switches I have here were using eyelet connections when new. One thing about those under-dash resistor switches is that they run very hot, and if you used a cheaply made thin push-on terminal, it could loosen from heat cycles.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

12. X2. I have done this many times, on industrial mains power heaters.