Register now to get rid of these ads!

Source for custom match touch up paints?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EchoOfGecko, Dec 30, 2010.

1. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a source for custom matched touch up paints, preferably aerosol cans and paint pens?

Unfortunately I don't know the paint code for my color. I believe it's Dupont Hot Hues Blue Mood, but this is just a guess based on info I had when I bought her. It appears to be satin out of the can rather than a base/clear but I'm a noob regarding paint. I'm having a hell of a time finding a retailer or local body shop around Portland that carries Hot Hues anymore.

Does anyone know of a place that can custom match a sample and spit out a spray can and or paint pen? I found a couple places on line but they seemed to be geared towards industrial applications and had minimum orders of like 40+ cans.

What do other people do for touch-up paints? My only other guess would be a body shop, I'm just worried how much this would cost and how good the match would be.

[​IMG]

2. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

This wont help you much, but in Milwaukee , Wisconsin there's a a paint store that I ran across. If you gave him the gas door, or for the interior, the ash tray, he would mix you up a few spray cans. I dont remember the cost, or the number of cans but it was something like a 3 or 4 can min and it was around 20 bucks or so a can. It matched perfect.
    Contact a automotive paint store in your area, they must know someone close to you that does the same thing

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. maniac

maniac

There is a parts sotre here in Ct that has a machine that scans a part and can reproduce the paint in a spray can, the can runs around $25 bucks, and once the number is in the system, he can make as many cans as you like.

I gave him a part off an O/T truck I have and he was dead on with the match, I mean DEAD ON !

4. OGS41

OGS41

I use Tower Paint which my wife found on the internet. Paint by code,primers,clears, and more and they are very helpful. Matched my Plum Crazy with no problem. Bottles of touch up, large spray cans and more.

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Try your local auto body supply store that is a Dupont dealer,they have a camera that can shoot your color and upload it into a computer and come up with a paint formula.most can mix you small amounts and if equipped make you up some rattle cans......Rich

6. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Something like this would be perfect. I stopped by a couple local paint stores, the local Sherwin Williams: Architectural can fill aerosol cans, but they don't do automotive paint, and the local Sherwin Williams: Automotive can do automotive paint, but can't fill aerosols, so looks like I may have to make a couple trips. :p

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

there is a company that advertisines in old cars weekly magazine i forgot there name, i bought spray cans from them according to paint code on the vin and wow perfect match

customer service was great and the prices were high

trail and error cans are on you, i had this happened to me it took 5 cans to get the color right, but it worked

they had a big ad and were in minnisota or wisconsin

8. grey46

grey46

My local O'Rileys has a cumputer matching machine ,they just come out to your car put a sensor on the car and the computer figures out the correct mix ,go inside they mix it and will fill aresol cans I think its about $16 per can.