Register now to get rid of these ads!

source for cam specs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50shoe, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 50shoe

50shoe

this is kind of OT, but I trust you guys.

I've got this early 50s military jeep and the engine is kicking my ass right now! problem is a over rich condition caused by what I believe is low vac, right now I have around 17" of vac at idle.

I've checked lines, etc for vacuum leaks. nada.

pull a compression check last week and find #2 with 185# compression! cylinder is 1/2 full of gas.

find that #1 intake is on the rock 35 deg before TDC. is this normal? anyone know where I can find specs for this cam? willys 4 cylinder F-head early 50s.

any ideas?

2. panic

panic

over rich condition caused by what I believe is low vac

Not likely.

3. moter

moter

This doesnt quite make sense what you have written. First a low vacuum condition will not cause an over rich issue. A poor running engine with a missfire will cause fluctuation in vacuum reading. A plugged exhaust will cause a Low vacuum reading... 17inches of vacuum is very good as long as it is stable. Next thing if the cylinder is "half full of fuel" It will hydro lock...bend a rod and you will not be able to get a good compression reading.. It will also wash down the cylinder and cause a low compression issue if you are able to spin engine over.. So which is it? Start with the basics...battery has good charge, alternator is working ok,plug are clean,points are set to specs,condensor is good. Carb is adjusted correctly...