Register now to get rid of these ads!

souix valve grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archied1067, Oct 15, 2008.

1. archied1067

archied1067

i have the opportunity to get a valve grinder does any one know what its worth. it has no literature, and ive never used one. its missing some wheels. just dont know what their worth:confused: but im willing to learn:)

2. F&J

F&J

Is it a seat grinder or valve refacer, or both?

I have both. Bought at different swaps. Seat grinder with stones, resharpen tool, 30 or so valve guide pilots, etc was $60 and a great deal

Valve refacer was $75 which was a great deal. Both are old Souix

3. archied1067

archied1067

its both is there any thing out there for it or some where to look

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Check Ebay for manuals stones etc. The valve refacers sell for less than the seat grinding sets. Again check Ebay to get a idea of value. I have both seat and the valve machines. My valve refacer has every accessory Sioux made for it. Nice tools to have if you have a use for them.

5. Dyce

Dyce

See how many piolets come with it too. What engines do you plan on doing? Most common sizes are .343 11/32-sbc or sbf, and .375 3/8 bbf. Flathead piolets are big, and they go in the guide bores. There are different speed drive motors too, but I won't get into that.

I paid $300.00 for mine 10 years ago. It had alot of stones and extra stuff with it. See if you can plug the stuff in to make sure everything runs. And bring a valve along to grind and make sure the chuck is true. Grind the valve, then releise the chuck, turn the valve in the chuck and grind it again. If it skips when you grind it either the chuck needs cleaning or the spindle is bent. Bearings in the spindle can wear out too.
    Good luck
    Jeff

6. 350 to 500 for a model 645 complete is about right.
    Very good machines

7. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

The old Souix are good machines and do nice work when they are right.

8. SPELLED SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last one I saw was at a swap here, great condition with tons of extras. I think it was $700.

9. LOL. That was annoying the hell out of me, too.

10. archied1067

archied1067

thanks for the info it comes with every thing ,but the electrical is undone i know you can set it up for dual voltage just not sure what wires do what.it also has a pump i guess for the dressing?

11. BigChief

BigChief

It "its" both then your looking at buying two different machines.....one does the head, the other does the valve.

The valve seat grinder looks like a heavy duty drill motor with pilots, stones (hopefully a stone dresser as well) and a drive. This allows you to refinsh the seat surfaces in the head....provided the valve guides are in good condition and your stones are good. Its very important to find and learn how to use a wheel dresser so that you can dial in your seat angles correctly. Stone holders are sometimes a commodity depending on the style you have.

If its a valve grinder then it'll be a bench-top machine taking up the same foot print that a microwave oven may take up on the countertop. It may or may not sit in a wet sump full of lubricant with a pump that carries lube directly to the contact point between the wheel (stone) and valve surface while in operation. It'll have a quill that holds the valve stem in place at specific angles so you can resurface at any seat angle.....and may also have an additional attachment to redress the valve stem tips.

-Bigchief.

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i bought a Sioux seat grinder for $150 not too long ago,it came with 6 stones,numerous pilots,and a stone dresser.
    i figured one valve job on a V-8 it'll pay for itself.

i used to have a valve grinder,but all the engines i work on are so old the stems are too worn to bother with,so now i just buy new or NOS valves.

13. john walker

john walker

i bought a nice used 680 facer recently for a grand. my old 680 served me well since about 1975, but it was making a slight chatter mark on the valve face lately and i figured it ran it's course. so make sure you face a valve before you buy it. should be super smooth, no ripples when you hold it under a good light.

14. archied1067

archied1067

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lubricant for the valve facer is soluble oil available through NAPA and other parts houses. I can't remember the mix I used as it has been over 20 years.

Usually the handcrank screw (wheel on front of machine with handle) that you use to move the valve face closer to the stone is a wear point and you my have to turn the wheel quite a bit to get the adjustment. Not a big deal if you only use it once in a while but a pain to deal with if you are grinding valves on a daily basis.

The diamond nib that goes in the stone dresser is about 35/40 bucks each and they are very delicate if you happen to try to take too big a bite out of the stone (this is on either machine. You don't usually get a second chance as the diamond is knocked out of the nib and gone if you take too big a bite. Once you get the hang of it it is easy to dress the stones though.

Around here a pair meaning the valve facer and hard seat grinder with extra pieces usually go for around 650.00 maybe a bit less now as I haven't been watching for one.

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

souix is what scooby doo says

17. archied1067

archied1067

Sioux there sorry i miss spellt it.shit j/k

18. archied1067

archied1067

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. archied1067

archied1067

here is a pic of it

20. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I got a valve grinder, valve seat grinder, several valve spring compressors, a bunch of stones and other random tooling, and an armature lathe for $150... Figured it was a pretty good deal all together...

The valve seat grinder has it own case, Hall brand.

21. BigChief

BigChief

Looks like it needs some TLC.....the ones we have sit in a tub/resevior for lubricant....that one either runs dry or needs its bathtub. If its dirt cheap it may be worth the effort to bring it back to a useful state.....otherwise spend the extra money and buy a unit you can walk up to and try out before you leave with it.

If you already own it start reading up on the care and feeding of the little beast and see what its gonna need besides a disassembly, cleaning and adjustment.

-Bigchief.