Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sorry OT....Old Semis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

A couple more pics of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Thread....Keep Em Coming!!!

3. S1B

S1B

I think its very cool. I dig the paint combo also.

4. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. S1B

S1B

Love those Internationals

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

Yes an awesome collection,but I'm hesitant to out it on the internet. Just
    an old guy that has done really well for himself. As far as I know its only
    open for his birthday party these days and one of those deals where you need to know somebody to get in for that...

I REALLY dig that Cornbinder Sightliner too. Of course in my mind the display would include a female mannequin driver with a skirt and stockings....
    and possibly some IH panties.:eek:

<script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

YoYoDyne, CHAIN DRIVE! Awesome. Back in the eaarly '70s I worked night shift in a local factory. One of the older guys in the Maintenance Dept., was a county commissioner & he spent MANY hours restoring a 1918 White with solid rubber tires & chain drive. The day foreman never caught on, OR maybe looked the other way! LOL It was sure fun to watch it, piece by piece -- THEN, finally, to see it running and all assembled at the local car show on the County Fair Grounds!

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Maybe I missed it, but did anybody post a pic of a Stude cab-over? Weren't they one of the pioneers of cab-over design in the later '30s? If I overlooked one, please say post #, bros! MANY THX; GREAT thread!!!

9. S1B

S1B

Here you go jimi'shemi291

Attached Files:

10. S1B

S1B

Also, Did anyone see this on Ebay?

Attached Files:

11. havi

havi

Flyin 51 just posted these on FTE. I really like this one!

Attached Files:

12. S1B

S1B

That thing is cool!

13. Just as a point of reference that might be interesting,.... the first International SCOUTS were 100-inch wheelbase!

104-inch is darn short for a semi tractor!! ;o)

JG

14. There were all kinds of attempts to build extremely short-cab (or cab-over-engine) designs by many manufacturers, almost from the beginning of trucking. This was brought about as the various states passed laws regulating the over-all length that a truck could be, and the desire of the truckers to maximize the available space for cargo.

Diamond-T developed (AND PATENTED) the first TILT-CAB, where the entire cab tilted forward to expose the engine, making them much easier to work on. All other manufacturers had to pay a significant royalty to Diamond-T for many years (I think 15-years, and about $150 per truck) for each tilt cab they produced. Even though Diamond-T was bought-out by White Motor Co. and no longer produced trucks, the royalties from this patent kept coming in and made them quite profitable for many years.

Cab-overs dominated the US over the highway trucking business untill the day the new Interstate Deregulation law was passed making 65-feet Overall length, and a maximum of a 53-foot trailer legal. The industry then switched to conventionals almost overnight.

JG

15. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

I used to see these in British Columbia up until about ten years ago. More pics of them here http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/kwpix4.htm

A deceased Canadian based manufacturer that the Kenworths were modeled after were the Pacifics. They were insanely overbuilt and oversized vehicles that were exported all over the world for logging and mining. If you didn't see the Kenworth badges you often didn't know if it was a Pacific or not.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pacific.htm

16. johny1i

johny1i

I agree that anyone should catch an ATHS show if you are fortunate enough to have one near where you live--anyone who has ever tinkered with old cars can appreciate what these guys do, given the scarcity of parts (as compared to passenger vehicles). These are just a few of my favorites from the show in Huntsville, AL this past May:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the only remaining "Convoy" truck (coincidentally owned completely restored by the same guy who owns the "Duel" truck that appeared earlier in this thread):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. havi

havi

Cool white GMC! And I have to agree....a bunch more effort goes into a project like this. Looking at an Auto Restorer mag that had a 1959 Brockway told me that.

18. darrync

darrync

V12 Kenworths, with some of the different owners over the years. If you look at the 2 blue Kenworths you will notice how much longer the v12 bonnet is. The photo with the sleeper is as the the truck currently looks, it will be painted back into the original colours when it was new next year.

Attached Files:

19. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Great thread! Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

20. 41 C28

41 C28

I found these old photos in my archives.

Attached Files:

21. Not a damn thing OT about this thread! Excellent pics, people.-MIKE:eek::cool:

22. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I know where one of these are... it's a four wheel drive, and when it last ran it had a turbo charged SBC. It might be for sell.

23. Man! That DODGE Class-8 Cab Over is a RARE one!

24. Now that's a real "Wiggle Waggle" there ... :D

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

There was an awesome big rig salvage yard on I35 south of Kansas city but they are just about done clearing it out. Made me sick.

26. johny1i

johny1i

You guys have piqued my interest, so here are a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. S1B

S1B

That Autocar looks like it run over a house with those tires. Great looking truck!

28. Sweet thread fellas. Thanks for posting it.

29. Here's a few oldies from my stash.

#1 '29 International '6-speed special'
    #2 '34 International
    #3 '37 Kenworth
    #4 '38 International Woodie
    #5 '56 International RDF-405 'Westcoaster'
    #6 1912 IHC AutoWagon
    #7 1932 International

JG

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.