Register now to get rid of these ads!

Soon to be Suicidal, my 62 Caddy Project Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pOrk, Nov 22, 2005.

1. twofosho

twofosho

I had a neighbor when I was about 12 that had a 57 Seville, and it was pale pink. First one I ever saw. A little old lady 2 houses down, yeah, they really did exist, proverbial little old ladies and pink Cads!
    It's your Cad, but I second the above on the doors, why? If I was doing one that looks that good starting out, I think I would have restored the paint and interior, built a Turbo 200R4 and stuck a built 500 with a couple of hair dryers on it in there, and gone around picking on all the late model hot shoes who wouldn't know any better than to try you on.

2. twofosho, i understand what your saying it is a nice car, but, i think that pork like myself is a kustom guy. and that just what we do.

pork, great job on one hell of difficult project. whats next for the cad?

3. twofosho

twofosho

Hey, I'm not slamming the quality of the work, just never could see the door mod thing, hell of a lot of work and engineering to change something that wasn't broke and doesn't show 99% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love customs, nose and deck, rolled pans, bar grilles, lowering, great paint, etc., etc.. And I although I know most weren't, I just wouldn't build one for myself if it wasn't also an in your face hotrod, so I couldn't help suggesting a "little" hopping up.

4. pOrk

pOrk

I'm still chewing, when the door swings open it has a bit of a twist to it. I am going to need to run some stock at an angle and stiffen up the door. All in all, it swings great thus far. Thanks!

Always try Mike! You still goni next weekend? I will be there on saturday most likely with my buddy TIM and Chad might go too, who knows?

Will do, today I ripped out the carpeting and shop vac'd :D

When I bought this car, it had the original title with it and on the title it said the previous owner of the car was MARY KAY HOPKINS. One of the guys on here told me that the MARY KAY Package wasn't started until 68 I think? But still pretty neat. Although I'm not an old lady, I still love this car. And again, you ask why but I ask why not? THe passenger side door hardly opens and I couldn't see spending weeks searching for new hinges when I could make some work that I already had. Just so opens they make the door open backwards haha :D It's something in my blood that makes me fix what 60's auto stylists messed up. Clearly, that being the doors :p

I am working on sound deadening the interior, fiberglassing the door panels and I am considering body dropping it 2" so it lays rocker. I still need to finish the doors and I want to pull the motor so I can smooth the firewall and reseal/gaskette the motor. Everything is still kinda up in the air. I am going to drive the car this summer in primer so I can decide if this is how I want the body before I paint it. Oh yah, I am re-doing the suspension and adding air to the front ( was just air in the rear and cut coils up front ).

This was a project for me to push my limits, I'm 21 and have very little expierence to most of you guys and I look up to every single one of yah. I just wanted to push the enevelop and see what I could do with this car, it beign my first OLD car. So far, I'm having a blast and learning a shit ton.

Everyones comments and suggestions are always much appreciated, thanks much for your input! I cant wait till spring:D

5. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Yes i'll be there. I took the car to Milwaukee fri so it there in case of bad weather.

6. pOrk

pOrk

Supposed to be shitty all week :rolleyes:

7. brewsir

brewsir

Right on pork...I like it. Yea ya never see them until you get out but it is just one more detail...and to me a custom really is about the details...I think of it like this....when I go to a show I can roll right by a lot of cookie cutter 32 roadsters just because they all seem to have the same parts used (1-800-order a part) anyway...when I see one built with ingenuity and a lot of cool details I can spend all day going back looking for more cool stuff. Suicide doors may not be seen all the time,but when they are seen its just one more cool detail.
    Keep it up!

8. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

that's some pretty cool schtuff. Been (dreaming) thinkin bout lambo doors on all 4 on the sedan... front open normal, rears open in reverse. Just a crazy idea. Who knows. Would get a few looks I bet.. but I'm shittin myself really.. it'll never happen.

9. pOrk

pOrk

Everytime I hear " lambo doors " I damn near vomit. BUT when someone says " reverse lambo " I get excited. I cant wait to see it done, make sure you start a thread when you start yours ;):D