Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SONIC founder has died RIP troy smith

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Oct 28, 2009.

1. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my buddy and the founder of sonic drive-ins has died. he started the cruising here in shawnee and spread it to over 3000 places nationwide. giving us rodders a place to hang out and munch burgers. met a lot of good people because troy had a dream. started "chicken in a pan" top hat rootbeer and the launched sonic.

i'll never forget my friend....

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

So to Sonic I go tomorrow for a burger and strawberry limeade!

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG]

FIRST FRIDAY OF THE MONTH ITS THE PLACE TO BE, SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR FRIEND.

4. Gdog3225

Gdog3225
    from Tennessee

Thats bad nothin like cruisin sonic in the old truck

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

one of my best friends was a commercial artist and was nearly starving to death in 1958. troy smith asked him to draw his vision of a futuristic drive-inn complete with cars.....his drawing featured an edsel car....strange that your pic also has an edsel!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. damn that sucks..Their java chillers are the shit, I think I'll go get one now..

7. borndead327

borndead327

damn
    i will honor him with a route44 limeade
    i work a block away from one

8. 61TBird

61TBird

hotrod-Linkin,
    Sorry to hear that you've lost a Good Friend.

Hey Drew, Is that the Sonic in Merced?
    I ate there opening day...
    Funny how in the Central Valley something like that is "Big News"!

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i put a million miles around sonics in low gear! and i can say i actually cruised the original and worked there for 50 cents an hour...now you can't get a small coke for that.

10. The Sonics here are big supporters of the car culture. Hope that does not change. No reason to. It is in their corporate culture.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That's some real history right there. May your friend rest in peace.

Frank

12. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Sorry to hear about your loss. The Edsel in the picture posted by DRUGASM is actually his own car! That picture is from the Sonic in Atwater.

13. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

R.I.P. to one of the best hamburger stands...

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

That sucks my wife and I sometimes walk there and eat at the outdoor table late at night.

15. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

We have three of them here....they are always packed, esp. during happy hour. My dog and I like the dollar menu chili, fritos wraps with a cherry limeaide. Thanks to your friend.....

From the sweet grass to the packing house, we all live between the eternities.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow. Sorry to hear. Prayers for the family and friends.

And yes, I guess it will be off to Sonic for a memorial drink and some chili cheese tots.

17. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

when we needed a new ymca for the kids in town,troy donated 5 million. when the vets wanted a memorial park..troy made it happen. i guess there was money in those tater tots!!

18. Good friends are are show of respect that you give to others and they give back, without a word being spoken. Sorry to hear of your loss sounds like you had a truly great friend! Take Care , Rob.

19. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Sorry for the loss of your friend first off. But think of the huge footprint he left not only on rodding but on popular culture. May he R.I.P

20. RobErnst

RobErnst

I LOVE Sonic. I drive about 40 miles to go to the closest one to my house and I pass about 200 drive THRU's on the way. Nothing like a Drive IN! It even has car hops on roller skates.

RIP Troy.

21. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG]

Wow. That is kinda weird. It certainly has a '50s feel (I think, I am only 27).

TBIRD Dave -- Even worse than Merced,....its little sister neighbor to the North, Atwater. You think Merceds got nuttin....head to Atwater. You should cruise down.

First Friday of the month...every month.

22. Very sorry for your loss.The first Sonic I ever saw was 28 years ago in Independance,Ks. it was the coolest(read only) place for gearheads and the like to hang,fast forward 25 years and Im back inTucson and Love sonic even if I am a dibetic I find goodies and cars everytime,,,,,,,your pal started a legend

23. only one in Washington (Pierce County) always packed ! R.I.P.

24. BBobb

BBobb

The little town i was raised in had a sonic and tastee freeze.Many weekend nights we all hung out and kept it simple......Thanks for the memories Mr Smith

25. Freeland

Freeland

Just put the Differential back together this evening on the truck, so Ill be there tomorrow for sure... Rte 44 Cherry Limeade it is, maybe even something on Texas Toast..

26. My wife and I ate at one in Bloomington, Mn just a few days ago. Always liked going to them when I lived in Kansas.
    I think I'll have to cruise over in my Merc in memory of your friend. He had a great vision. Condolences

27. 21tat

21tat

Still love Sonic. I'll eat a burger there soon in his honor.

28. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Sonic is the best! I remeber first time going to Sonic, 1990 in my first duty station in Panama City. Saw a burger joint advertising $1 burgers every Tuesday. Went there damn near every Tuesday for burgers. Hey Rob-Redm, there's gonna be a Sonic in Tacoma on 6th ave just off of Hwy16 right near Kmart.

29. Texas-Greaser

Texas-Greaser
    from EAST PLANO

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a good friend, and a good man. I'll hoist a Route44 lime slush for Mr. Smith!

30. FuelFC

FuelFC

Sausage breakfast burrito, large tots, orange juice, and large coffee to start the day tomorrow.

A hero of a man in my book as you could always get breakfast anytime.