Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometines, You just have to say "Good Bye".......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 21, 2013.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Brother, the bottom line is as you know, we all have only so many summers on this old planet, and God is the only one that knows when our time has been served.
    I have watched so many of my friends (and my oldest son) pass on, and leave a garage of cars and parts for the family to have to deal with, and it's not a good thing.
    You only need one project, because the older we get, the tougher it is to do the work. Send the others on to someone that can finish and enjoy them.
    Most importantly, get in your Hot Rod and hit the back roads now, and enjoy the good folks of this country...... Life is short, don't waste it in the garage everyday.

Your decision will be answered with prayer.
    God Bless,
    Glenn

2. I've heard this before,but what do you win,,,not a damn thing! HRP

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

a lot of good answers. ive been thinking about the same thing. i dont have anything historic, but some decent stuff. old crain got me on a project, and i have been hot and cold, but the clock is running. im planning on finishing it. but as you get older you cant help but think about not leaving your family alot of mess. but i think i would have a hard time not finishing that little blue roadster! looks like your off to a good start! just depends on how much you love it.

4. I had the same type of thing two years ago but i never thought about finishing some of them as just owning the cars was cool.So i sold my first Willys i got in 76,my 29 Whippit and a 29 Essex based pickup i started in 78. I kept the ones that mean the most to me now,i kept my teen car (37 Willys) my 35 Willys and got my RPU> i realised i was running out of life to do more than what i have now.Good luck. JW :)

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

No, it's for the goddam birds. I get under the dash of the 40 and I either have the wrong tool or I can't quite get where I need to be. Sucks.

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Sound wisdom.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can totally relate to this topic. I had the Don Noyes "U.S. Mule II" that won AA/MSP at the US Nationals in 1965. I just parted with "Alley Oop" a Lyndwood rail with a great local history after being caretaker for 23 years, and I never finished the restoration. Both cars are in good hands, it was time for me to let them go, and focus on finishing my '30 Roadster before I hit room temperature. No regrets, it was time, and I feel good about it. Bob

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Blue Racer does have NHRA history, and to keep that history would have to be totally restored to its "AS RACED" appearance. Is it the best looking Roadster to ever hit a race track? Wouldn't you rather spend the time restoring one of your other cars with personal history? Bob

9. mrdodge

mrdodge

There is also..."The man who dies with the most toys...still dies !!" :eek:

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep,...... But I want to find a a good home for the Blue Racer,.... I guess it's just really hard to explain...... I'm just glad the old girl got her history and story back, But for the sake of NHRA racing history as well as American Hot Rod history,... It would be nice to see this old warrior restored and preserved.

Somebody once told me "You can't buy History", And it certainly has that....
    And thanks to everybody that has posted on this thread.....

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

And leaves a big headache for all of those that loved him and put up with, and indulged his hobby/passion.......

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Well, old Harms Way really stirred the pot with this one. I've got a '32 5w that has been in my care for over 40 years. I've always considered it the "crown Jewel" in my collection as I've wanted/lusted over a Deuce 5w ever since I built a model of one when I was 9-10 years old. I always had a vision of how I wanted it finished but due to lack of funds to make the dream happen I've been collecting parts all of these years and just recently realized with exception of some engine pieces I've got the makings of the perfect "fab32 5w" sitting here waiting for that "kick in the ass" to make it happen.
    Hmmmmmmm, maybe the time is now, at least to drag it out and see if the desire is still as strong as the day I brought it home. In the meantime I've got a lot of junk/valuable items that should find themselves under someone else's roof and that alone would more than finance the "dream".

Frank

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

You'll find that guy, I did when I put "Alley Oop" up for sale earlier this year. The car will get finished to the same quality I had put into it up to the point that I sold it. Bob :)

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Bob echoed my thoughts about owning a car with history. That car should be restored as it was back in the day and the history gods forbid you to alter it. So therefore it will never really be your car. It will be a museum piece and you will be a caretaker. If it's a streetable car, you can drive it and enjoy it but a drag car becomes a cackle car. Thank god for the guys that can afford to do that and take the time to show it off.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

327, that's a very big consideration on such things. Your pour your heart and soul and untold $$$$$ into it. It's all done and you say, "Now what?" I know what people spend to get a car to a concours for a day. Even if it's local it can be pricey. I couldn't imagine being limited to maybe just Indy or the occasional local gasser bash with something so prominent. I don't know your finances Harms, but how often will it see Bakersfield or Pomona? Will it make an appearance at Amelia Island? Hershey? Glenmoor? Yet one of yours will go to all those places for the right reason. It took YOU there. I'm with you bud, I'd love to see it get done and follow the circuit of historic racers every couple years and hit some of the big indoor shows too. There's got to be a few collectors who live for that, who take pleasure in getting these things in the eyes of the next generation. I didn't pick the right "6 numbers" yet so count me out, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the means.

16. Model T1

Model T1

Something I am learning from this forum is there are a lot of old guys here who have never gotten to finish their dreams for various reasons. I don't have a lot of stuff, yet valuable to someone.
    Wadding thru the greedy car collectors and junk dealers only interested in making a quick buck, I have never tried to sell anything. The cars I did sell people really liking, begged me until I parted.
    I know it's stupid. But I'd rather just let my kids worry about it. At this point in my life I see most of it is worth a lot to me and worthless to most others.
    I finally got rid of cars I never finished, yet said I'd never sell. I still have cars I'll never finish so loosing those others really doesn't matter now.
    I know, I'm babbling. I have no answers. Just worries about what's gonna happen to that junk that most don't even care about. Now I see there are others thinking the same things.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have been really fortunate in my life unearthing cars that "got away" totally by accident. There is the 36' Coupe, which I mentioned has the longest history with me (that I have yet to drive) It's been in and out of my life for close to 50 years.

The 32 5/W That Dad and I got into a big argument over from the late 60's. The Factory Big block O/T car I know my Dad did the break in on at DPG, and probably a number of the tests as well...... Those are three of the keepers.

I ended up passing on the 64' ElCamino that I hauled my sons all over creation with when they were little.....

And I just decided that the O/T 72' Corvette that I had when my wife and I were dating,... we got engaged in , we drove all over with, we left the church in after the wedding and went on our honeymoon with...... Was sold when my our first son was born, and turned up almost 30 years later.......Didn't make the cut of keepers. (Knowing I'm the very last chance it has,.. because anybody in there right mind would part it out)

In the eyes of the world, These cars mean absolutely ZIP !,... But the personal value I find them is monumental.

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Frank, my dear friend,.... You are one of the "Lasting friendships" I talked about in the OP...... We are only caretakers of the cars and other material possessions we temporarily can call "ours",... There are only three thing we ever really "Own",... The love and personal relationships we forge (one for another) during our lives, with Family and friends... The moment at hand.. And the greatest relationship of all that we take with us from this old world.,..

Dave Crane has a sign in his garage "It's not about the cars,.. it about the people"...... And truer words were never spoken. I know you like to build your own stuff, Because that's how you've always done it. (And because your really really fussy :cool:) And I really respect that. BUT !,... There are a number of guys that care about you,.. That live for the day we can see the goofy look on your face from the inside of that Deuce 5/W's windshield as you doing 80 in a 35 MPH zone !.....:D

You just let us know, and I am sure we can rally the troupes to make it happen.... You can impart your building wisdom on us, And we can all pour out how much we care about you, and a little piece of each one of us into that coupe !,... This way you can take a part of us along with you when ever that car moves... You just say the word....

There are a lot of us that think your pretty special,.... You old fart !!!

19. Two thoughts; I had a good friend that was a Honda motorcycle mechanic at his own shop. He collected all of them that he could get over the years and had them stashed everywhere. I am talking bikes that are only special to a few people, not worth much to the general public. Anyway, 10 years ago he died from pancreatic cancer in his 50's and left all his friends and family with this huge amount of all things Honda motorcycle. It was a couple years to get rid of it all. He always said that they were his retirement and he would build/sell them then. It of course was not his intention to leave it to the family to deal with, but that is what happened. It was a horrible situation and he was the only person that knew who to pass the bikes on to, some of them were rare and worth a good deal, but we didn't know to who and it was hard to go through it all.
    Point being on this topic, I know that no one wants to deal with it, but it is bad enough having a loved one pass, then to spend the next months/years dealing with their 'junk' just makes it worse.
    I have accumulated way too much myself, but I have started to trim the fat and come up with a plan of what to do with the rest. I have also tried to inform my wife of what some things are potentially worth and to who.

Thought 2; what about getting friends together and doing a barn raising? The Amish will get together and help their neighbors build a barn and get it done in a flash. What about the idea of getting together with your buddies and working on a car until most of the big hard to handle projects are done on it? I know that usually the funds are not there to build it that fast, but if there were someway to have everyone chip in to make it happen, then move onto the next one it might work out for the better of all involved. The local car club here built a car for a guy that was diagnosed with cancer and had never had a chance to finish his car. They were even able to get a few donations of parts etc to help move it along. Why wait until someone is given X days/months left to do this?
    This is just an idea and I figured that I would throw it out there to generate more ideas etc.

As for the blue racer, I have not read the threads on it, but my reaction is to find it a good home and focus on the ones that are special to you and your family. Work on the one(s) that your family will want to keep and drive, my guess is that the blue racer is not worth any more than it's monetary value to them, but some of the cars that you have are very special to them.

Jason

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,... That's it !,....I have to say good bye to the old girl,... But the HAMB Brotherhood has first right of refusal...... Thanks for all the words of wisdom,... And for letting me ramble guys............. Sometimes even when you know it's the right thing to do,... you need your pals to give you that last little nudge.

21. I always enjoy your threads, but I understand your perspective. Maybe someone will ask to buy the car so they can restore it. It would be cool to see.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

I would really like to see it finished, And at all the events it belongs at.

23. No, the man who dies with the most toys is DEAD. He didn't "win" shit.

My neighbor died about 12 years ago. He was the definition of a hoarder. He lived for the quest of acquiring and storing all kinds of junk. Three mobile homes and three buses full of crap, plus two acres that barely had a walkway through it. He died one day of a heart attack. His wife figured he was dead before he hit the floor. Now, she had the arduous task of getting rid of all his junk. Why saddle your loved ones with shit like that? She sure as hell didn't "win" anything with his passing.

I agree with you, Harm's. Pare down the stuff, keep what you are truly passionate about, and take the time to enjoy life. Life sure as hell is NOT about acquiring stuff. I'm in my early '50s and even now, I'm looking to liquidate a lot in the next 12 -18 months, now that the kids are graduated from school and out.

You never know whether you have 20 years, 20 days, or 20 minutes left here on this rock. Sometimes, a guy just knows when to start ridding himself of the stuff that's acquired over the years, and just enjoy the life that God has given.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  24. 4tford

4tford

I'm feeling the same with my projects since it is getting harder to complete them due to age. So I am thinning the herd based on which have the most grip on my soul. I want to enjoy what I have now and not worry about getting to projects I really won't finish.

25. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Went to a customer's house to work on it. He had about 5 cars and a boat in various states of disrepair. He explained the problem I was there for, so I went about working. He must have been in his 80's and coughing up a lung at the time. One of his cars had rolled down his driveway and into his and his neighbor's fence, breaking it. I had to climb over the car just to work on his problem. It was a '62 chevy. He also had an early 60's Chrysler Imperial. After I got his service back, I commented on the cars. He told me they are projects he'll get to, soon. His boat's engine was laying in the yard under the boat as the floor had completely rotted out. After I left his house, I proceeded to sell off the 5 british cars I had at the time. I don't own anymore british cars, yet they all were drivable. I don't want to leave that mess for my wife and kids to deal with after I'm gone. But you'll know what you'll be able to get to if your honest enough with yourself. Good luck.

26. Back in the early 80's when I was in my 20's I "acquired" up to 4 '54 chevys.
    They sat due to lack of money and one day I got rid of them all.....sold some and scrapped the rest with a ton of parts.

It felt bad until they were gone....then over all it felt good......relief....
    All that "eyesore" (as I kept hearing) gone....
    Took awhile to really get over it, but it WAS the best thing at the time.

The empty feeling didn't last long as I acquired an off topic Vega bracket car.
    It was a mess, and I HAD to make it better. Put a ton of time and money into it and then lost interest, mostly due to lack of money. It sat in the back building for almost 20 years, until one day I realized I had plenty of projects keeping me up at night and taking up my time with distracting thoughts. I put an ad in the local "shopper" paper (kinda back before the internet was where it is today) and SOLD that project too......and it was TOUGH to let it go! I know I got lucky, one guy called and only one.

Up until I watched it head down the driveway and turn onto the road...it was tough. Then I looked at the cash in my hand, and felt a huge relief again. Haven't thought as much about it as I figured I would, IOW I have never missed it or the '54's, not a real lot anyway.

I drive by a house about 3 times a week, and when the garage door is open there is some sort of hot rod or race car up on jack stands that I can see as I pass by. I noticed a lot of activity in that garage few years back in summer, lights on at night, etc, about 3-4 years ago....
    Last summer and this summer (so far)......nothing.
    Once in awhile the door is open, and I see the car has become obscured with misc....boxes and stuff piled high on it, MIG welder sitting in front of it, garage looks packed full to the door....

I wonder what happened?
    Lost interest?
    No money?
    Life or health got in the way?
    Anythings possible....

I've wanted to just stop and talk to the guy, see the car, ask some nosy questions......
    But I am afraid, very afraid! What if it's a really cool project??
    What IF it's FOR SALE......maybe cheap!!

;)

dk

27. I love the quote, "If I could get back all the money I ever spent on cars......I'd probably spend it on cars!"

Enjoy YOUR life NOW. Someone else will enjoy their's when you're gone!

28. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

I'm one of those that have said that.:D

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

I don't think I'll be running out any time soon. And that's part of the problem. I have a few I really want to finish,.... the older I get the slower the builds get,... When the music stops,...... I don't want to leave the people I love "Holding the bag" on trying to liquidate the remnants of "My Passion".

And I care enough about the stuff I have, to try to get it all into the right hands....... (If that makes sense)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And friends,........ This ain't the half of it........ But as strange as it sounds,... I have to talk myself into selling them one at a time.... Like Frank Mack once told me. "It's not selling the cars, and the parts,.. It's selling part or your life, your plans, And your vision."

This is just the storage barn (I took it apart from Frank Macks place on 8Mi. And Randall, And reassembled it up here in 97' )... There is more in the shop and my attached garage, Our daily drivers have never been inside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  30. Life throws changes at you.
    I had been removing things from my place. felt good about it working hard
    and was finishing my vacation last week by my self ( wife was called back to work on her last weak)
    replaced A/C on the motor home ect.
    felt good. went to my friends muffler shop to relocate the exhaust on the 37 Plymouth he was running slow so I went to get some food.3 hours later I was real sick. thought I got food poisoning again got home wife had the flue.
    2 days later she was fine I could not walk 10' with out being exhausted
    went to the Doc. they were checking me and now I am heading to the emergency room.
    I had no symptoms and felt ok enough to walk around. 15 min later I had a temporary pacemaker stuck in me
    next morning I am wired like a terrorist bomber. doc came in and said you are getting a permanent pacemaker.
    hay Doc I am a welder and build cars. he said ok
    3 hours I am on the table waking up and they are not finished. I let them finish with out going back under
    that was 3 weeks ago
    I can still weld got a high end Boston Scientific unite I have to stay 24" away from welder
    I was given the symptoms of what it will feel like if I am to close
    I have finished a welding project and feel good
    God has given me a second chance at life
    I am making plans of where things will go
    my oldest daughter and her husband work in my shop a lot they both tig weld he does beautiful work
    the shop is theirs I am teaching them body panel making at this time
    I am getting ready for a scratch build 28/9 RPU I will form body myself
    it will be high boy style bigger cab by 6"
    and I most likely will not post pics until finished