Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometimes Old is better than new - 1932

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am a real fan of the 1932 Ford roadster in all forms... but a classic patina looking hiboy really gets my heart pumping. I write about cars on Pewsplace.com and many of my followers send in photos for me to post. The photo below is one from the NW Goodguys show and hits the target for "The Old Look". Just my opinion but I would spend more time looking at this one than a brand new shiny red hiboy. I like both styles but is Old style better than New in this case? Any opinions on this perspective?

Attached Files:

2. I like them both. I wouldnt say old is better than new or the other way round. I would say if the style is done correctly and old style and a new style car can be equally cool. Take the Limefire thread on here for example, glass car with disc brakes on the front and built in 1987 - people are still getting warm and fuzzy over it. New Brizio or SO-CAL cars are cool and plenty of fun I am sure just as the older version you post here would be too. Can we have both in the garage please :)

3. To me, one looks like a hotrod. The other looks like a street rod. I'll spend my time looking at the hotrod. :)

4. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

One makes your heart beat faster - the other one's red.

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Greg, I agree with you one of each please. I have the room for a few more.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Everyones trigger trips over different stuff, for me, its the Red car. Patina is Kool, I like it, just not my trigger. Kind of like Girls, They are are beautiful, BUT some make your head spin. John

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I don't particularly care for shiney hot rods. They are old, and they should look old. Just my worthless $0.02, pre-tax of course.

8. The old one looks like it has a story,
    the red one looks like it has a credit card statment

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i digem both. if the red one has paint chips on it from being driven on a regular basis then it would get more of my attention. they r both kool...............................

10. Nobey

Nobey

Park them next to each other at a car show and take a consensus.

11. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Hehehe, Flowmeister that is funny....... and so true!
    One looks like you just need some keys and a couple bucks for gas, the other looks like you need a coach, enclosed trailer, trophy wife and some hired hand to take care of all of it! :)

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a little bit of the crusty look, but I also like a nicely painted, single color, non metallic hot rod with the early Ford wheels and bias ply tires along with other early components.

I don't really have anything against patina...it does make it look like it's been pulled out of a barn after having sat for years. But I consider these cars to be time machines...and none of them looked like that back then. I pretty much prefer them to look as they did...for the time warp effect.

So much of it has to do with the wheel/tire combo. You can keep the mags.

13. You guys are complaining about that red deuce with the Americans and hairpins? Really? Then you're just rat rodders. It's been said too many times, the guys who built hot rods in the era that this site honors wouldn't run around with rusty stuff. I doubt that very many of you are over 50. I like the car scene now just fine, but please recognize that what you prefer is not true to the time frame. These "patinaed" cars are a twenty first century idea. That said, I have an old, faded custom. Done in the mid fifties, but, money permitting it will get shiny paint again. It gets lumped with that rat rod crap and I resent it.

14. gtowagon

gtowagon

If the patina car was built 50 years ago and has aged to look like that from a on e nice paint job then I like it however if it was built 5 years ago and fake patinad of built from parts that had patina not so much. The red car is nice but does have a street rod look to it. Now paint the patina car red or some other better color now that's nice. I would still drive either one

15. Fenders

Fenders

This is the way I built it to drive back in '80 -- never heard the term rat rod... sure there were shiny ones then and way before, but I spent my money on gas, not paint....

Attached Files:

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Respect for patina and rust has risen in popularity, that is true; but there's nothing new about appreciating and old car for what it is. Rusty cars were always the most interesting to me as far back as 1980.

[​IMG]

17. I like both. Both cars have similar, nice stances and both look like they were well planed and executed. At a show the older build would catch my attention first. If I were given the choice between owning them I would probably chose the older build just cause it looks sexier.

18. Leviman

Leviman

Here's my take on it as a young guy. From my perspective, old cars have always been cool based purely on their shape and age, not how shiny their paint is (however nice that is at times). So to us younger generations I'd say the look of faded paint is acceptable and at times cool. However, rotted out cars with flaking crusty paint jobs from the 70s or 80s and bondo cracking off are not at all cool, and not what i would consider patina.

19. badshifter

badshifter

I'm on the HAMB for the reason it exists. History, and the past. Tradition. On this forum, I don't even see the red 32. I can't debate what I don't see.

20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

It's simple. The red one is not a traditional rod.

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Traditionally the goal was never to have a clapped out lookin car …. that rise in pulse rate you get is from the just found it (and it for sale) in a old garage feeling.

Personally
    I like a car that’s painted or cleanly primered is driven and looks it …. but when saving old paint that’s two - three or four different colors … it just plain looks like shit.

22. Right on!!!

Time for some chili!:cool:

23. If I owned the older one I would not leave it that way. A nice original style color and mechanical resto would be how I would want it. The other car could easily have a more vintage look with a simple tire and wheel change.

24. In my opinion (that means nothing), when you try to mix the old yet well engineered styling of an early hot rod with a bold new loud look , you create an imbalance in the flow of the design. When you try to aattach a big, dead object like billit wheels to something that was created long before they were cconceived, it creates a clash to the eye.

I mean the real question is what is easier to look at? Fluency or WHAM! BANG! CLASH!

Face value is one thing, but history is a style all its own. Most people now days cant take the time to actually look at something for more than 10 seconds. It makes me ill. And makes CNC wheel companies millions.

Hack

25. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Nobody wanted to drive around an old, ugly, rusted out car back in the day. Your pals would just keep givin' you shit about it. The chicks wanted to be seen in a rusty Model A with bailin' wire and old street signs covering the rust holes in the floor? No way man, now a new Corvette or T-bird was the cat's ass.

Patina, otherwise known as rust, and other stuff is kid stuff to me. A fad like angel hair or organ pipe speakers in the back. Maltese crosses, skulls, whatever...

Hey but whatever floats your boat. It's all damn sight better than all the Japanese jelly bean cars that are visual pollution on the road today.

26. Really? Why not? I see a '32 with hair pins, a good stance, Americans, tasteful louvers... I see an early to mid sixties hot rod. I'm no child. I know this: Red is more traditional than the "as found in a field" look. That paint that you don't like says the owner respects the car.

Red roadsters aren't traditional? They are on Planet Earth, my friend.

PS, your coupe would look better in a coat of shiny Washington Blue. It would look more traditional that way.

27. 2racer

2racer

not everyone likes the same thing, do what you want and let others do what they want, geez...

28. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I like the rusty one more than the painted one, but "patina" for me only goes so far... A very old paint job with some worn through spots and a little oxidization I would keep clean and leave it alone. If *most* of the paint is completely gone, and its just metal I would have to paint it.

Car 1 looks awesome, but I would have to put 30 coats of lacquer on it. Everything else I would leave alone

One mans opinion

Just one mans opinion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1964 "Patina".

Attached Files:

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My tastes have changed as I age. Old style is more appealing now. I appreciate the new car as well but not as much. Horses for courses.