Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Something from nothing. 29 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wheeldog57, Oct 8, 2016.

1. 66gmc

66gmc

2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Got my number today and decided to wait until the sun was low to paint it up 2017060995195815.jpg a little nod to the wife 2017060995201020.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ITS a CHICK magnet !

wheeldog57 likes this.
  5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

In the pits 20170610_092755.jpg 20170610_092815.jpg got to stage the car but it overheated. Now me and the car need to cool down!

6. bct

bct

Dang. Fine accomplishment regardless. Good luck!

wheeldog57 likes this.
  7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Miracles do happen. The bearing in the left water pump let go, it was puking bad but I thought I could get one race in. . . NOPE!
    Got towed from the staging lanes. Mike Bowling say "ask Eli English, he knows a lot of people here, he might know where you can get a pump." Eli says " left side? Yeah I have a new one right in the trunk of my coupe." WOW! Just unbelievable! Now I can race tmrw.

OLLIN, Moondog13, Tim and 10 others like this.
  8. Just like racing used to be racers helping each other! Before it go so cut throat.

wheeldog57 and Mikel50 like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

would we expect less from an "ALTER BOY"... go Eli go !

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

So the list of characters who helped and supported me today. My wife, mother, uncle John, fordgasser1, onekoolkat, Mike Bowling, Eli, Cody, blind owl, Nick, Mikel50. Probably more too,
    Anyway, I will be racing tmrw thanx to them.

11. Mikel50

Mikel50

I apologize for the poor quality photos ...taking pictures of my camera display
    [​IMG] the professor and his student

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

13. Impressive story so far- now you just need to race!!! Hopefully you get a couple extra passes in today.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

A new day brought a new problem w/the car. Intermittent spark put me on the trailer. Heading home busted up a little. I am pretty tore up about it but I have to say I came a long way from just a few weeks ago. Almost doesn't count but I was very close.

biggeorge, clunker, Mikel50 and 3 others like this.
  15. greaser

greaser

I applaud your efforts, Wheeldog. Too bad things didn't work out the way you had hoped.
    But in reality, you won with all your accomplishments. Just in the fact that you attended the R.O.G. is something most of us have never experienced. And, being there with a lot of your Buds is the best reward anyone can have.

brEad, wheeldog57, Mikel50 and 2 others like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Ditto... not every ball player gets to the biggest game... but lots of em played very well...
    look how far you got... you got in, you passed tech?, you got pictures of your "snappa" that the whole world can enjoy, you rubbed elbows with some of the legends, you got a year to run the bugs out of it and ...... look at the friends you made...
    there on the sand and here on the hamb...
    ...... ....... ....... GO WD57 GO ! ..... .......

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I agree with what the others have said Ronnie..You built a car in a very short period of time,got entered for TROG and got on the beach..Most people will NEVER be able to say they did that much! You can get her ready for the next one! Great car bud!

biggeorge, wheeldog57 and tomschev2 like this.
  19. Mikel50

Mikel50

You made it to the big show Ronnie !
    You built a period correct hotrod in a short amount of time.
    Sometimes you have to wave the white flag.

Your car looked right at home at TROG.
    I've got lots of pics to prove it.

Congrats on you accomplishment.

[​IMG]

20. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

It's a win 100%. Everyone has issues with there car . You should be proud to make it on the beach . Well done

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Should read " MB, retired Mass DOT employee, looks on as Ron W works ( I forgot to pack a shovel).
    I wore my old "Cam Snappers" shirt to support Ron, and because it was the 42'nd anniversary "T" given to me by Jere Sheehan ( club founder, 1952)
    I have since gone rogue. My bad ( HaHa)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ronnie is my Hero- he did what he set out to do and although there were "bumps in the road" he made a great showing on his first swim in the shark tank. Way to go my friend!! ( and a big HUG for Maureen!!)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Had second thoughts about going, but this weekend was a blast! I'm hoarse from talking so much!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  22. Mikel50

Mikel50

I have 3 SD cards with pictures on them from Trog. Over 1200 pictures...here are a few. I'll be posting them up over the next few days.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, biggeorge, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  23. Mikel50

Mikel50

24. Mikel50

Mikel50

Moondog13, FlatJan, biggeorge and 6 others like this.
  25. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod. You'll get em next year.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

chryslerfan55 and Mikel50 like this.
  27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

love those black and whites...

wheeldog57 and Mikel50 like this.
  28. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Valiant effort there. I really enjoyed following along with this build. Next year......

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  29. mike bowling

mike bowling

I don't mean to post more on here than Ronnie, but I think some background on this whole deal is appropriate. Ron and his brothers are ALL car nuts. The big thing was muscle cars and drag racing because that's the era they grew up in. Then Ronnie got his '57 Chevy and totally rebuilt it. It had sat behind a garage forever and was totally f#cked as far as rust. He's got it looking and running great now- 327 with trips, 4 spd ( and that guy can BANG some gears) paint and interior ALL done by him.
    Then along comes myself and some others that were into the REAL old junk, and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. He started collecting parts and info , and set out to build himself a roadster. Not only that, this car would face a "trial by fire" and be entered in the ROG. Now Mr. Wheeler works a job where he travels a lot, and it's not unusual for him to put in 12 and 14 hour days ( sometimes staying overnight). He's married , has a house, and all the things that go along with that.
    To say he was pushed to the limit trying to get this car finished is an understatement ( as with most entrants). But HE DID IT!
    He rebuilt the flathead himself and had never done one before. He fixed body panels that were pretty gnarley. He designed and built his own frame and suspension. And on and on.

To me this was not an "attempt" or a " maybe next year" try at what he set out to do.
    I know it was hard not to race the 2nd day, but he chose to pull the plug and not beat the car to death.
    I think it was a total success- he wanted to build a car and race it at TROG and he DID.

I don't mean to sound like his head cheerleader, but I've known Ronnie for a while and respect him more than ever for this. "Plan your work and Work your plan".

GOOD JOB, BUDDY!!

Moondog13, 97, Tim and 11 others like this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Nice background MB...
    Fourth of July weekend Ron will be making "chips and dips" grocery runs for anyone on his street that wants party refills ...
    I know this because being on the road for 3 days before our 1984 rod run, I was offering to make beer/ice runs for anyone in our club... didn't want to get out of the darn thing !
    .... Drive the wheels off it Ron...

Jet96, brEad, Mikel50 and 1 other person like this.