Register now to get rid of these ads!

Someone's got their years mixed up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Anyone get a look at teh '64 Chev pick-up on page 15 of the new Custom Rodder?

The article says it's got:
    '61 Plymouth front sheet metal and fins
    '57 Imperial trunk and rear quarters

Looks, to me, like it's a '62 Chrysler nose and the rear quarters and trunk off a '60 or '61 Chrysler.

I wonder if they inherited this project and believed the rich owner's misguided idea of where the parts came from.

2. DrJ

DrJ

I think all the real car guys (like Scribe) have left the business in disgust and the mags have their Bling ad salesmen pulling double duty attempting to write articles about stuff they know as much about as a Lady's Home Journal proof reader does.

Usta be the worst thing that happened in a hotrod type magazine was they'd print a transparency backwards and you'd think the car was Australian... [​IMG]

3. Does that mean there's no such thing as the 32 Deuce I just read about?

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I know it shouldn't bother me when they call a Chevy a Cadillac or identify a 53 as a 51, but it does. I think it's really sloppy for a car mag to get the year or make wrong. It makes me question the acuracy of the rest of the article. I'm sure the writer took the word of the owner. One of my many character flaws.

5. [ QUOTE ]
    One of my many character flaws

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too....

To top it off, the Fresno Bee movie reviewer wrote, "Chevrolet Bonneville" in a movie review piece he did this morning.
    Probably goes along with his other car, you know, the Pontiac Impala....

6. RPW

RPW

And then theres guys that calls a Buick-powered Buick a Buford...

7. It's this type of post that got me banned last week for being defensive. Usta make we want to follow ya'll around 24/7 and critique what you do for a living, but then I realized YOU ARE PERFECT! [​IMG] Have fun!

8. plan9

plan9

there are mistakes with everything... at least some are UBER-ELITE enough to spot the mistakes

if someone gets ALL their information from a magazine, well.. they are retarded... plain and simple.

i read plenty of mags with questionable grammar... but, if its a good read, who cares [​IMG]

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I think "a lot" of magazine articles (Popular Hot Rodding in particular)are written by "english major" types doing to build their resume so they can get a job at Road and Track or Motor Trend. They definitely aren't written by anyone who has been around a hot rod for more than a week.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I read a interview of either Pete OR Jake one time and he said when the magazine guys offered him a job on the magazine he said I do not have the English skills required. They told him that the English skills were secondary......that he had car knowledge........they could get his stuff proofread by someone with English skills.

How true.........they need car guys...not English majors.

[​IMG]

11. I KNEW this post was going to deteriorate into another pissing contest [​IMG]Seriously folks I notice that the majority of the respondents thus far all share a common thread:they have WRITTEN articles for various publications or books in the past.
    I think I know the reasoning behind most of the complaints:The seeming lack of experience in deciphering what part or parts were used in the construction of a vehicle and a heavy reliance on that evil of the New Age of Communication:Spel-Chek(sp).
    I will be the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about the requirements for producing a modern day publication but I do know that proof-reading is not among the high priorities or so it seems.
    I guess I too am a little old-fashioned and out of step with the times but it seems to me that we(the country as a whole)are in the middle of a great,"dumbing down" as a society and nobody save a few really give a damn.We have people graduating from high school who couldn't make change for a dollar without counting on their fingers and toes if the display on the electronic cash register fails.
    An article with multiple spelling errors to me is harder to read if I have to stop and try to translate it.
    I know there will always be errors in ID'ing parts on a heavily reworked vehicle and a lot of times the only source is the build sheet supplied by the owner who may or may not have actually built the car.
    Again I don't know the first thing about putting a magazine out but I'm sure there are others here who could address these issues.Sorry for the long rant but I think I understand what the others are saying.
    Ray

12. Tommy has voiced my feelings exactly. [​IMG]

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    , but then I realized YOU ARE PERFECT! [​IMG] Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim!! you noticed!! [​IMG]

Believe it or not a magazine type took a picture of my hot rod and included it in the magazine on purpose! The guy that wrote the copy for the single picture called it a Cabriolet. That's a tough one for most rodders. He got very defensive when I poked a little fun at him at York. "I didn't write the copy!, I didn't write the copy!" I thanked him anyway.

I understand. Shit happens.

FWIW I keep a dictionary handy for spelling while typing on the HAMB. I still get fat finger typos and brain farts.

14. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

man,they have been messing stuff up like that as long as there have been customized cars to write about,,, i dont pay attention to it,,i know what the author is saying and i think it may have to do with the proofreader/editor or whatever. whats the worst case scenerio,,your gonna write in to a mag to tell them they are wrong,they'll print your letter,,then you look like a 'knowitall'

there was a tiny pic of my 56 in custom rodder that said i had a 4 bolt rear end...i thought it was cool! [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

and JimA,,why is it that you only respond to threads dissing magazines,,i,myself know you are an awesome journalist as you wrote one of my most favrotist stories in TRJ(Barnett story),but man you dont need to defend the magazines, be one of US or be one of THEM,,,and im sure from your past post that you are one of US...

16. Good points all and it doesn't hurt any of us to remember that nobody is perfect and mistakes happen.

However, the magazines hold themselves up to be the bibles of hot rodding and therefore owe it to their readers to at least try and make sure they have their facts right before a story goes to print.

On the other hand, if the owner tells them, these are the facts, then what can they do? Write something completely different to what the owner said? An example that I wrote to an editor about was a feature in Custom Rodder whereby the owner of the car took credit for the massive and radical body work that I know for a fact was done by someone else who never got so much as a mention in the feature. The author, the editor and the proof reader had no way of knowing it was bullshit.

On the other hand, in my job it's critical that each thing written and published is 100% correct to the most minute detail and it's not easy. Takes us around three months just to proof and approve a service manual for printing. And that's not including the six months it took to write it.

Fact is, working to tight schedules and deadlines, there's pressure on the people involved that will invariably always mean that something will slip thru, by way of typographical or gramatical error. That stuff can be forgiven, provided the technical facts are not compromised.

Yes, the magazine editors have a duty to deliver accurate and correct information and I'm the first one to notice and belt them when I see blatant errors in fact and detail. Other things I can forgive them for because I know what they are up against.

And I know that even I am not perfect... but I go pretty close most days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I know that Desoto has prolly forgotten more MOPAR facts than I ever knew so if he says it's wrong then it probably is wrong.

17. [ QUOTE ]
    ...be one of US or be one of THEM,

[/ QUOTE ]

So if it's them and us, why do we bother buying and reading the magazines? And why the hell are we so put out when THEY write stuff WE think is wrong. I always thought we share the same basic interests and only the perspective was different. Them and us attitudes is what ultimately leads the demise of both side in a stupid and meaningless fight that nobody understands how or why it happened..

18. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

well Carps..i TOTALLY agree with you on that aspect!! but myself ,i was responding to the fact about years ,size of tires,etc,being off,BUT when it come to shit like WHO built it,WHO painted it,shit like that,,man im all over that...

i was at a local car show a coplue months ago when i saw a "aqutntence"(if id even call him that) who had a "show" truck there id never seen before,,he had mentioned how he had been building it and had just had it finished this year,,which i thought was cool(even though it was REALLY gaudy) it was a niceley built truck,,

,,,afew days later i stopped by my dads and we were Bs'ing since he's builing the same era truck and i mentioned it.
    he said "what???" and i repeated the story..he said "oWWW" he then pulled out an issue of "classic trucks" or "street trucks" or whatever and pulled out that very truck in a full spread in a magazine spread... so i understand the thing your saying about owners giving false info,,had this truck never been featured then nowbody else woulda known differently...

19. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]

So if it's them and us, why do we bother buying and reading the magazines? And why the hell are we so put out when THEY write stuff WE think is wrong. I always thought we share the same basic interests and only the perspective was different. Them and us attitudes is what ultimately leads the demise of both side in a stupid and meaningless fight that nobody understands how or why it happened..

[/ QUOTE ]

im saying if your gonna be on the HAMB then be a fuckin HAMB member,,,(lets talk about cars)dont just be here to defend evertime an ANTI magazine issue comes up...no hidden messages or anything

20. Missing Link

Missing Link

my ass hangs out.

21. [ QUOTE ]
    and JimA,,why is it that you only respond to threads dissing magazines,,i,myself know you are an awesome journalist as you wrote one of my most favrotist stories in TRJ(Barnett story),but man you dont need to defend the magazines, be one of US or be one of THEM,,,and im sure from your past post that you are one of US...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because after spending 20 hours a day producing a magazine it's all I have time for- seriously. And that's why I feel bad for all the guys doing it because they actually love rods and customs like I do yet people have no problem saying blanket statements like "except for so & so- all others writers suck, know nothing about cars and are only in it for a paycheck." I know most of these guys, they work really hard and most of them do a better job leaving their feelings off this board than I do. I'm not supposed to talk shop here either. That last post was osed to be funny. I could loose my job tomorrow- I'd still be a rodder and a HAMBer (sorry Ryan [​IMG])
    It gets even blurrier when the person ponting fingers is a "fellow journalist"- Must mean he's totally perfect- or busily unemployed looking for others mistakes [​IMG] So I'm not just defending magazines because YES they are all full of mistakes, but the guys that make them work hard enough makling them without getting slapped around by their "buddies". I'll stop defending them, but I'll still feel bad [​IMG] Anybody want to come help me work on my Model A so I can STOP! Maybe I could even do some tech stories like I used to WAYYY back in my days with Petersen.

22. Design Guy

Design Guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I think all the real car guys (like Scribe) have left the business in disgust and the mags have their Bling

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense DrJ, but that's just about one of the most narrow minded comments I've read here, only because I know these people.

If Rob, the editor of CR saw this post (and he might), I think he'd be upset by these comments because he tries to put a lot of effort into that magazine to make it the way he thinks we, the readers, want it. Of course he has to cater to the whims of advertisers, but that doesn't mean he doesn't spill blood for his job. I also know that Eric, the guy responsible for making the magazine look good, does so because he knows what crap some mags end up looking like. CK Deluxe might have "cooler" content than CR, but CKD is lazily put together and looks completely half-assed.

I don't know why I bother, honestly. Nobody appreciates the aesthetics of the magazines anyway. Just don't get down on them because it's the POPULAR thing to do in here. Keep in mind, if they weren't doing it, we would have any bathroom reading material.

23. Design Guy

Design Guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I think "a lot" of magazine articles (Popular Hot Rodding in particular)are written by "english major" types doing to build their resume so they can get a job at Road and Track or Motor Trend. They definitely aren't written by anyone who has been around a hot rod for more than a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scratch that... this is the most narrow minded comment I've read. There are a lot of really smart guys here when it comes to cars, but when they write, it's almost painful to read. I don't mean to pick but ThirtyTwo knows his shit, but when he types all in one paragraph and misses punctuation, it makes me not want to read his posts.

You take the language for granted. I guarantee it, if they didn't have guys that knew how to write CORRECTLY, you would notice it... and then bitch about that too.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

I bought my first magazine in 1972. I still have it , and every one I bought since then too...
    I dont just buy rodding magazines, I buy different kinds of car magazines as well.
    At one point I had 14 different subscriptions ( from several country's ) and I was still buying buying mags off the rack.
    When I was growing up the Rodding type magazines were a window into a world 8000 miles away. In fact, they were the only reason I knew it existed...
    My guess is that the articles I read back then were written by people who had a passion for it. They did not know they were influencing my choice of hobby and career, but they were.
    That does not mean that I liked every article in every magazine, and thats OK...
    Over the years there were enough good ones that I think I got my money's worth.

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    it seems to me that we(the country as a whole)are in the middle of a great,"dumbing down" as a society and nobody save a few really give a damn

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head! Didn't Dan Rather do a series called "The Dumbing of Amerika" a while back? That got pulled likely because it was so true!

The schools don't teach spelling & grammar anymore...and society doesn't care.

Oh yeah - Never rely on Spell-Check!

[​IMG]

26. Machinos

Machinos

Blah. I picked up one issue of Custom Rodder like a year ago, and I'm pretty sure the magazine was actually a brochure put out by PPG (seeing as how every car feature had a huge "PPG" logo on the pic of the car, and every car was painted with PPG). I can understand making a mistake or two, and really understand not knowing what part of what car something is, but I would've done my research if I wasn't sure. Anyone can go to www.carnut.com and check any car out. Eh... Rod & Custom is all I need anyway.

What really pisses me off is when I'm reading a genuine professional publication, like a big-city newspaper or a widely-read magazine, and it's full of typos and grammatical mistakes I wouldn't have made in 8th grade. By typos I don't mean stuff like "you're" and "your" either, words that would have DEFINITELY been caught by a spellchecking program. So somewhere, someone is getting paid a LOT more money than I've ever made to write worse than I would if I were half asleep. Even if I were half asleep I'd be able to click the "Check Spelling" button.

27. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    By typos I don't mean stuff like "you're" and "your" either

[/ QUOTE ]

Those DO bug me because they aren't typos - that's poor grammar. Not understanding the difference between there, their, & they're is either lazy or ignorant, but above all, annoying when read in a professional publication.

Here's an interesting & informative website - I sent it to my sister, the English teacher [​IMG]

Common Errors in English

[​IMG]

28. I guess most of you didn't see the article.
    It wasn't a car feature.
    It was up in the front of the magazine where they print new product announcements and other newsworthy stuff.

It appears the shop doing the work sent in some pictures, specifications and some stickers. I would imagine the editor simply copied the information down word for word.

I think it's the shop doing the work that's got it all wrong, not the magazine.

Browse through a copy on the news stand. The thing's on page 15. You can't miss it. Even in primer you can see the waves in the sides of the car.

This thing'll need a couple more gallons of plastic before it hits the local World of Wheels like the article says is the goal.

29. [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know why I bother, honestly. Nobody appreciates the aesthetics of the magazines anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! I think Buckaroo have really messed up American Rodder in terms of content but the layout and quality is good enough to keep me buying it even if I'm only interested in a small portion of what's between the covers nowadays.

30. [ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah - Never rely on Spell-Check!

[/ QUOTE ]

Never do here coz it too often changes S to Z and doesn't know the correct spelling for tyre or colour etc. Dunno how the dumbarse who designed it gets away with selling something that's so clearly stuffed up and wrong! [​IMG]