Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Someone Stole My Fuse Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falconewbie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Alright, so I should clarify this now — My car knowledge is limited. I can change my own oil, spark plugs, read a shop manual, follow directions, etc., but I have no real knowledge to speak of. So please don't make fun. Moving on.

I just picked up a 1961 Ford Falcon automatic, and it's fantastic, barring a few issues. The biggest right now that's going to keep me from passing inspection is the turn signals not working. Currently, the turn signals don't work, the radio doesn't work, and the brake lights only work if I have the headlights turned on. I went to search for the fuse box and found - nothing. Just a bunch of jumbled wires, which when "jiggled" caused the ignition to stop working, so I had to "jiggle" them again in order to start the car.

Any advice on getting the turn signals operational? I can send/take any pics needed. Thanks!

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Dude. if you 'jiggle' a bunch of wires and crap stops working, then you need to rewire the car.

You have a short. Probably multiple shorts. And if you want those shorts to go away, and avoid soiling yours- you really need to put in a new harness. Jiggling a bunch of wires to get the ignition to work is a good way to burn your car to the rims.

I wouldn't trust the electrical at this point.

You have some options. IF you're electrically savvy- then you can start chasing the gremlins with a tester. But even the best of us would get quickly frustrated with that.

The other option is to pick up an aftermarket wiring harness - Rebel comes to mind. Remove all of the old harness, and rewire the car from scratch, front to rear. That's also a daunting task, but it's the less daunting of the two I mention here.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Or find someone that can rewire it for you.

4. I would say replace the harness as well, most of the time, people get intimidated with electrics because its something you cant "see" working, but if ya think of it like water going down a pipe its really not that bad, also alot of the new harnesses have each wire marked as to what they do and where they go, if you get a simple one there not that bad to do, and they often come with instructions to step you through, and since your in dallas, i bet there are a few hambers who for the paltry sum of beer would help ya put it in.. so you have options, but yeah what david says, be carefull, thats a good way to turn your car into a car-b-cue....

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Hey, I'll wire your car from scratch for the cost of materials and 3 first class tickets to Texas :)

6. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Do yourself a favor and buy an original factory shop manual.

7. Fuse box is on top of the head light switch. I'd check out the wiring before jumping into replacement. Might be a easy fix. In the mean time disconnect the battery!

8. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

STOP !! Disconnect the battery cables before you have a melt down.

Rewire the whole car. NOW !!

9. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Okay, I'm actually okay with the solution to rewire. I kinda thought I was looking at a future with no turn signals, therefore no inspection, lots of tickets, etc., so rewiring is fine by me.

Should I be looking for a turn signal harness, an ignition harness, or a whole-car-so-you-don't-burn-it-down harness? Because I have yet to find that last one.

Thanks all!

10. ev88f

ev88f

Fighting a harness that's a huge rats nest isn't really worth it. There's always going to be something wrong and you generally won't trust it even if you get it sorted out. The harness you have now sounds like a nice way to burn the car down. Pick up a harness from rebel and start over new. It's not that hard and you'll have less time invested and probably money too, than trying to fix what you have. What ever you do, I wouldn't be leaving the battery hooked up with the wiring you have

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't know if new harnesses are available specifically for Falcon but you need one!
    Dangerous to proceed with any driving with that short situation you have now. Jiggling to start is not a good idea!

12. ev88f

ev88f

Check out the rebel 9+3 harness from tugmaster here on the hamb for a whole car harness

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

You are headed for a smokey, fire engulfing ending, SOON. I wouldn't drive that car another inch without a different wire harness. There's a lot of good things written here about a HAMB vendor named Rebel Wiring (Run a search of his name). You fuse box is hiding behind the headlight switch, and if you "Jiggle it" to start your car, you're one jiggle away from a melt down, OR WORSE. Rewiring a car is not tough at all, and the feeling of tooling down the road with the security of knowing you're now safe, eliminates constantly sniffing to know if something is burning yet.
    Welcome to the HAMB. You'll find a ton of us here that have Falcons, and are eager to keep you safe on the road. You also might try "Falcon Club of America".

14. Yes! Rebel makes nice stuff.

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

16. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Wow, thanks so much everyone! I have gone out and disconnected the battery, so I'm safe. I'm also checking with a local hot rod shop to see if they can get me the harness so I can do the work this weekend and be driving by Monday, but I'll also check with Tugmaster and Rebel Wiring.

I'm impressed — my first post and so many people were so quick to helpfully respond. You guys rock, I can tell I'm going to love this place!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the first thing that anyone should do when buying an older car. The Factory shop manual (s) that were used at the dealership and not the ones you get at the parts house or book store.

There are several original ones on Ebay along with the copied ones and ones on a disk but I'd go for the original factory one complete with fingerprints.

18. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on FalconParts.com! Rosie and Ron both know their stuff, will treat you well, and get you your parts fast.

19. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Alright, found a local shop with a harness, the only catch is the guy on the phone said I'll need to do some splicing and soldering. I do not solder. How hard is this going to be?

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

21. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Before you buy a harness have someone to look at it.It may be a simple fix. we can't see your wiring .One shorted or loose wire can cause alot of problems, but be easy to fix.Disconnect the battery .

22. Take your time, get the right harness, don't rush this. It will come back to haunt you.

23. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Go back I just added more

25. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

26. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

bought mine from tugmaster on here shipped so fast and was a snap to install for the money just put new in all the way and know its save..... my 2 cents

27. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

After looking at your diagram and my picture, it looks like I DO have a fuse box. Is it that black box with all the wires going into it in my photo? And in that case, do I need to pull the gauges out to access it?

28. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Personally, I'd pass on this guys advice, and harness. Most quality harnesses will have you gut your whole car of its old wire harness, and start from scratch. The idea is to have a fresh start. Not a little of the old, with some of the new. The objective here is to know, and trust that EVERYTHING electrical will not fail you. I've rewired a few cars, and have never had to SPLICE, or SOLDER anything. I like Ron Francis kits, but they're usually the most expensive kits. Still less expensive the a fire though, and peace of mind is priceless. Again, I'd check with fellow HAMBer Rebel Wire. Try a search for him, and read the testimonies.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yep thats it, now keep in mind. I say yes because I can read diagrams and by what I sent you and your pic that you sent is how I know. But I have never done A Falcon. The Ford guys can answer better on how to acces the fuses. The wiring don't look bad (the word here DON"T). Your problem may only be corotion at the terminals. Best of Luck with your wiring.

30. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Pulling the gauge cluster is a breeze. 2 screw on top, 2 screws below. removing it, or just getting it down out of your way will make the job a whole lot easier, and more accessible. Remember, this is a simple car, with a very basic wire harness.