Register now to get rid of these ads!

Someone put a lot of work in this old custom chevy I found for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rathbone, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone

Not an unfair price if you like what's been done.

[​IMG]

2. Rathbone

Rathbone

3. Rathbone

Rathbone

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Somebody really screwed that up

6. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

i guess there's a reason why it was never finished, guy took a step back and said "wtf have i done"

7. I've seen worse....with a few tweeks to the front end like....ditch the park lights and put a Pontiac grille in it, and possibly lay the "continental" tire down to follow the trunk line (instead of sticky straight up) and wrapping it with a '36 Ford tire cover it could be somewhat cool. Hell... pancake the hood and give it the same chop as stickylifter got from the GMB crew and I'd take it home:D

8. If Classical Gas has it, it is a bigger piece of shit than it looks.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, it would tkae some serious rethinking and tooling to get those lines to work ... could be cool, eventually.

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

the venetian blinds in the rear window are probably worth more than the rest of the car.

11. everyone has a right to dream, but someone should have woke that poor builder up sooner

12. That thing has more issues than TV Guide.

Bryan

13. Actually it could be cleaned up and made presentable. Granted it would be work but what sled isn't.

I saw a '40 Chebby a couple of years back that someone had started to put apache quad lights in. I'm guessing they were either inspired by the Johnny Cash Caddilac or gave up aftere the drivers side, but the concept was good.

Like this one it just needed a little finishin' up. :D

Building a sled is work there ain't no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

$3,995.00.... as stated if those are GM blinds in the back window they could fetch 6-7-8 hundred.

if that amount of labor was done on a tasteful manner it could be worth that much. but as it is.. no thanks.

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typical east coast custom.

16. looks like a FLORIDA build. :)

17. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

00Mack told me last week that customs were dead. If this is an example of what's being built now he's absolutly right.

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Customs aren't dead, but I think we are looking at one that wishes it was.

19. Gigantor

Gigantor

Kustoms are Dead??!?! Says who?! What's their reasoning behind that statement?

20. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think Anthony raises a valid point. Seems to be fewer and fewer NICE kustoms around, especially as new builds, and more and more piles of shit lately. Less stuff is being built in the traditional style and more in the neo-traditional style...which just isn't the same. Seems more people nowadays would be more concerned with spiderweb accents and a 12" chop than kaiser guards and taste. Thank God there are still people carrying the torch

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Gigantor, it's called irony.

Boy that Chevy's ugly, it says 'East Coast' in big neon letters. The hubcaps seem to be saying, "which direction are we going in?"

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

You guys have no imagination. Could (with a lot of work) be a pretty cool late 50's style kustom. I am imagining a lime green watson-style paint job. Different tailights, maybe packards, different bumpers, and lose the fake ass continetal kit. Ditch the astro-van hubcaps (or whatever the f*ck those are!) maybe flippers instead.

24. Never seen Henry J fins grafted onto anything else before. Those are okay. The continental kit bites.
    The stance needs adjustment. The whole thing needs adjustment but with work it could shape up into something.
    I think those are (yech) Dodge minivan discs.

25. I think most of us can envision this abortion in a better state, but currently and at that price, yuck!

Bryan

26. markanthony

markanthony

May be.. but did you see the 40 mercury coupe for sale on there????

27. Oh come on now...... I just ate dinner!!!!!!!

YUCK

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I don't think those are Henry J fins... :rolleyes:

It looks like ass hit with an ugly stick...

29. Chad s

Chad s

Absolutely true. I agree with you, I prefer the peiod when a custom was built to make a plain, average car beautiful and graceful, look like a higher end luxury car. I dont plan on building a car for myself any other way.

However, in my current personal quest to try and be more open minded, I have grown to accept that a custom can be many things. I think some of the more radical stuff is neat too. The spiderweb crap and so-severe-chop-that-you-cant-see-out-of thing is just a current fad, it will pass. Whatever it is, current trends or not, all of these things can be incoroprated with grace and taste. Everything doesnt always have to be done 100% traditional to look good. Many builders here on the HAMB have proven that.

I think one of the biggest issues is that the knowledge of what a true traditional custom is, is being lost. I think thats what 00Mack may have been implying. Unless you really dig for the right information, the information that some magazines and websites are spoon feeding people is wrong. Ask a true custom guy from the 50's about semigloss painted cars, he'll probably laugh. Primered bodywork, untill you can afford paint, thats traditional. Painting over a shiny paint job, so your car can be flat, thats not.

I personaly think that that car is ugly, maybe it could be the start of something, but dont blame it on the East Coast, there are builders with no taste everywhere.

30. teddyp

teddyp

why when someone stick a tire on a back bumper its a east cost car bad taste was and is nation wide there were cars of poor design all over