Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some work from my shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Oct 12, 2011.

1. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks mike! I do like the skyline comment! HA! And economy is coming back here. But slowly. I work on someone's toy. And toy's are not always the frist thing to get paid on either.

I do miss my 54 mainline man. Was just lookin at pix of it today.

2. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I remember when you had it posted....massive WTF moment til you told me why you sold it. I suppose you should tell people you sold the avatar car to fund your shop.

3. choptvan

choptvan

I sold EVERYTHING I could to make this happen. And so far, it is paying off. I am taking care of my family. 6 kids of it! And still paying my bills. Workin hard on my reputation as well. Sometimes it gets spoiled no matter how hard you work at it though. All I can say is, when you have an issue, relaiy it. Don't run off behind someone, say a bunch of stuff, trash them real bad, and then expect them to be " happy " to fix it all for you. I still have and always will back up my work 100%. No matter the cost. It is hard to find a shop like that from my understanding.

4. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I guess the big question is what are you building for you these days?

5. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA! That's funny! for myself? I was trying like hell to get my 63 ford truck back together. I had to cut a ton of corners just to get a chance to drive it! First time on the road in over 3 years was about 2 weeks ago.

6. And what a fun day that was! Can't wait to go again!

7. choptvan

choptvan

Sure was! Soon enough. Soon enough...

8. choptvan

choptvan

another update on the merc

[​IMG]

full custom floor. hard to do when the owner is about 1.5 feet taller than you are. Real hard to keep perspective Still has lots of work left to be done. But you get the idea.

[​IMG]

9. choptvan

choptvan

doin a 2 door conversion. Saw pix of my old 54 ford. Liked how I did it. Doin this one a bit differently though. Learned my lesson on the other one!

[​IMG]

10. Hello Brother,

Been a while. Just got out last night. Happy to be back with my family. I'll call you when me and the fam are good. Thanks for putting up with my second hand message system.
    Look forward to speaking to you soon.

11. choptvan

choptvan

Great to hear!! Look forward to hearing from you!

12. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Choptvan,

Smoktumtires turned me on to your thread. Looks like some great work. I might swing by when I am in your neck of the woods.

13. choptvan

choptvan

Cool! Stop by whenever! See waht is going on with his car. And the many others we have here.

14. banginona40

banginona40

Some really nice work and your getting it done! It also appears that you have plenty of projects. You must be doing something right!! My first time on this thread, now subscribed.

15. choptvan

choptvan

thank you. Got a lot more done recfently. Jsut have not had the time to post the photos of it.

16. choptvan

choptvan

some more work on the 51

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the suspension all tacked together, on a 51 chevy truck. Soon as I get the mess of a firewall fixed, and the floors redone, I will post pix of the entire truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. choptvan

choptvan

Had a photoshoot with the 36 a while back before it went home. Finally got a few of them back. I had posted a few, but was supposed to get a huge file. Anyway, here you go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. choptvan

choptvan

and an update on the 51 chevy for Ralph

this section was quite a mess. Had some real issues here. huge deep creases, lead, bondo, singlestage paint over filler... you name it. It was there. We had to pull a lot of the dents out before we could even get to replacing the panels cause hte damage had carried itself so far. Here is what she looks like now. There is still much needed attention to detail. Quite a bit of hammer and dolly while wedling as well as breaking out the stud gun to pull on it as we go. Patch panels just aren't as good as they used to be!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on this panel, the shape was so wrong, that I sued what was decent from the original quarter so it had it's shape back

[​IMG]

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

Good to see Ralph's car getting some attention. Hope all is OK out there. Nice work, Shannon!

20. choptvan

choptvan

Got some stuff done to jim's skirts as well. Got his new ones painted. So when are you giving me a crack at that 48 ford of yours?? Should see what this one here at the shop looks like chopped...

21. Thanks for the kind words Jeff, I hit a rough spot in my career. Whatever happens, I still plan on going back home Rockies is the place for me.

22. Mercchev

Mercchev

Thought I had the damn thing sold a couple of times...oh well. Ralph, we'll see you when we get the chance...Salina or Wichita next year, maybe?

23. choptvan

choptvan

bring it by then! we will do it right up!

24. choptvan

choptvan

another merc update. Once the floor under the rear seat is all bead rolled and welded in, the car will come back off of hte frame so I can hand build the inner rockers and get those attached to the floor so it is strong again before I start the trunk area. THey are so rotted that while I move towards the rear of the car, I notice the car moving around a bit just while I get in and out of it to fit pieces. So this ought to keep any problems from occuring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. choptvan

choptvan

Forgot to add that the difference in trans tunnels will change. You just have to keep watching and see how! This will not be left this way.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn the 36 is a real stunner!! I really like where the Merc is going too!

27. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks man! I apprecite that.

28. choptvan

choptvan

So Here is some more progress on the merc.

update on the floor so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and after beadrolling, flanging and plug welding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. choptvan

choptvan

then we put it back on the rotisserie again for easy access to the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some of the reasons why I need access to the bottom and why the floor was never welded to the inner rockers yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

someone loved filler. inside of the outer rocker

[​IMG]

building new inner rockers and misc pieces that were rotted away

outer skin
    [​IMG]

inner skin
    [​IMG]

rear inner skin. there will be a piece built from the inner rocker skin to the floor to close that huge space there

[​IMG]

now we will punch holes in the floor and trim it to fit once I have checked the quarter panel for fitment and the new outer rocker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZZ Top Chop likes this.
  30. Nice work, thanks for the pics.

T-bird wrap around rear seat in the merc?