Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some questions regarding 57-60 Ford F100 trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Jul 21, 2004.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

OK i am pretty familier with anything 1970 on up and now that i'm a newbie on here and most here are into everything pre 1970 i have some questions about my 60 F100 292 Y block V8 with a 3 on the tree,first off just what trans do i have?Borg Warner?ect.also is the stock rear i have good enough for a beefed up motor?i'm sure its not the much desired 9 inch and if it is its prob pretty archaic.If i decide to stick with my 292,is it worth it to maybe beef up?this thing won't be no barn burner but i want it to have a lil balls and who makes a rebuild kit for the 272-312?also how hard is it to raise up the straight front axle a lil bit?Thank you for any answers for my questions.

2. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well, start by hitting up www.yblocksforever.com, and check out the forums.
    Also check out the yahoogroup on Yblocks at www.yahoogroups.com, alot of answers from people there, it is just another message forum.

While you are at it, check out
    http://www.ford-y-block.com/ They'll have all your rebuild stuff and it is generally a great site for info.

You will also be very surprised with how much stuff your local NAPA dealer will have- mostly any gasket you'll need. Anything ignition related is available anywhere. They are good engines. I have one in my '55.

Now, you SHOULD have a 9" in your truck, and it should be plenty strong. Alot of people still search out the 1957 9" rears to put in 55-56s, so I'm sure your 1960 TRUCK model can handle what you can dish out, certainly what that Y block will dish out.
    How beefed up do you want to go? You'll have to check out that second site I listed, John Mummert's for good info on that. I think the beefiest Yblock is around 500 HP, but that just a guess. Most are in the 200-350 range, that I've seen.

It could be any of a number of trannies, you'll have to get some numbers off of it, but I can't help with that.

As far as raising the front end, it couldn't be easier. Just get some taller springs made up. You might need to get new shocks, too.

Any pics of the truck?

3. dixiedog

dixiedog

Hey man - lets some pics of that truck - I love those years is it a styleside or fenderside?

I saw a unibody at Turkey low, crappy blue paint with narrowed rear (not trad [​IMG])but it was awlsome.

4. burger

burger
    from burbs

Sorry for the useless and mostly unrelated post, but here's a pic of a '59 truck that flips my lid.

Attached Files:

5. burger

burger
    from burbs

and another....

Attached Files:

6. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Post deleted by GreasedGremlin

7. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] See the damn thinsg in North Alabama at my grandparents house and i'm waaay the fark down here in South Florida i'm trying to get a plan going sos i can drive up there and get her'she hasn't moved since 1994'and i'm searching hi and low for pics i swear guys as i'd love for you guys to see a rock stock faded and slightly beat 1960 F100 and btw for the HAMBer who asked its the flatside shortbed.And also MUCHO THANX to the HAMBer who hooked me up with the links!I know now that the Ford Y block V8 is a very underestimated motor and i'm gonna rebuild mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

Got a 1960 myself, trans is t-98 from the factory. my stock rear is a war cage so it will handle some power. Stock 1960's had the new small valve heads, so anything 57-59 will wake her up. Any more questions feel free to shoot, -The catholic my 1960 edit, thought you said 4spd- it would then be a T-89C warner.

9. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

A T98 3 speed so Borg Warner made it? and your 60 is beautiful man [​IMG] thanx for sharing a pic of it

10. Hi- I got a question about these 57-60 trucks.
    What is the overall width of the 9" REAR- HUB TO HUB TOTAL??

11. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

12. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

Here is my '60 in the back ground.

13. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Hey MetalShapes,you have one bitchin 60 man,got anymore pics?and anyone have maybe a 57-60 with the nosebleed stance?

14. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

Thanks,
    I dont have that many good pics of it, so I'll try and shoot some tomorrow.

15. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I've got one from last November's Good Guys show out here.

16. burger

burger
    from burbs

Deyo- How'd you get it so low?

17. thanks for the REAR measurement CAT A HOLIC! [​IMG]

18. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    How'd you get it so low?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a Camaro clip, they have a Factory Z in it and I used it all.
    I lined up the flat part of the subframe with the lower part of the Truck frame, trimmed to fit and slid the subframe between the Rails.
    I put Big Block ( TA? ) springs in it because it was to soft and scraping everywhere.
    In the back I used 1/2 Ton Chevy Truck springs and I put a 8 1/2" kickup in the Frame.
    It has about 5" of clearance under the rocker panel, and almost no rake. ( it is lowered about 14" from stock...)
    I had to modify the Truckbed to make room for the Rear axle and the Driveshaft.

Thanks for posting the Pic Deyo... [​IMG]

19. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

No problem, Alex...

Ed, all I did was snap the pic.

20. VespaJay

VespaJay

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone have maybe a 57-60 with the nosebleed stance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's "nosebleed", but here's my '59 at way-too-friggin-high-for-me stock height.

Attached Files:

21. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    anyone have maybe a 57-60 with the nosebleed stance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's "nosebleed", but here's my '59 at way-too-friggin-high-for-me stock height.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice flatbed man [​IMG] i'm lovin this thread,i never seen more cool 57-60 Ford trucks ever online or in person you guys are giving me lots of inspiration for my 60 thanx.