Register now to get rid of these ads!

some pics of My friends 1956 ElCamino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparron426, Sep 17, 2009.

1. peter johnson

peter johnson

Really nice work,probably one of the better conversions i have seen.I prefer a wagon personally,but congrats a a cool ute!

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

That looks really nice ! He really nailed the proportions and excellent choice in using the Nomad stainless !!

3. robertsregal

robertsregal

Wow I'm impressed, looks Awesome!!!

4. Looks it came from the factory, GREAT JOB, more pics please.

5. [​IMG]

6. rick finch

rick finch

^^^ Mmmmmmm, much better.;)

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

Excellent workmanship. The only thing I noticed, AND THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, is that the bed is too short proportionately to the rest of the body. The rear 1/4 to roofline is the same length as the front fender. Regular El Caminos have much longer 1/4 panels in relation to the front fenders, meaning it's a lot longer from the door edge rearward than the door edge frontward....Again this is JMO.........Mike

8. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Yea, I know that. I was only commenting that I know of another 56 Chevy car made into a pickup. The original post in this thread is entitled "some pics of My friends 1956 ElCamino"....

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

El Camino Pequeño? :D

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

Si !

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Sorry, misunderstood you.

12. FC49

FC49

Ron, could you explain how Ray had to modify the dogleg side trim piece just aft of the door so the slant of the vertical piece would line up with the rear pillar? I BSed with Ray a couple times at cruze-ins, and my jaw dropped when he told me about it. Also, the story of why there are 9 strips on the tailgate instead of 7, as in the original Nomad, is pretty funny. You know him a lot better than I do, so I'll let you tell it. Also, here's a link to Detroit TV interviewing Ray last week at Dream Cruise.

Frank C.

13. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

WOW! Absolutely a home run, i will be in upstate NY for a few weeks starting early Sept. hope to see it in person!

14. raymay

raymay

The 56 and I drove to Michigan again this year for the Woodward Dream Cruise. We spent a week visiting with my son and future daughter-in-law. Did lots of cruising, got a tour of Lingenfelters collection and we visited the GM Heritage Center where they let me park the 56 in their display area out front. It also attracted a couple of Hooters girls at my sons Thursday night car club gathering.
    Been running her 3 seasons now and got a few stone chips that may need some attention soon. I have been very pleased with the car. The best compliments are the ones that say it looks factory built which is kind of the look I was going for. I did recently ad my own little personal touch substituting the GM Mark Of Excellence insignias with my own initialed RM insignias.
    IMG_2989.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_2986.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    chevy57dude likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Love the color combo. And the truck.

16. belair

belair

I thought the dog-leg was just a Nomad piece. It is a great car.

17. Looks like the stock color called Sierra Gold in 56. The silver is a good match.

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's a Pontiac Safari with similar treatment.

[​IMG]

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm a firm believer that the wheels and tires make the car. I also think that torque Thrusts are just about the perfect wheel. I can not imagine any other combination looking as good on this one.

Frank

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. docmike

docmike

I was thinking the same thing about the proportions so I played with one of the pictures in Photoshop just a little. The top photo is Photoshopped, the lower is the actual vehicle.

[​IMG]

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Outstanding. What's not to like??

22. raymay

raymay

Had same thoughts and concerns about this during the build. I had seen old builds using a Nomad body which has a different layed back angle on the tailgate. It would have made the bed definitely too short for me. That's why I chose to use a regular 2dr wagon for my conversion. I also did not want to sacrifice too much space inside the cab where I spend my time.
    The bed floor is actually 6'3" long. With the angles the narrowest part at the top is 5'5" which was larger than the pickup box on my 2005 Chevy Colorado. I included hold downs and a bedliner finish in my design so I could haul stuff. It has often been loaded with parts for car swap meets, lumber, my grandsons bikes and I even helped a friend deliver some couches. My license plate says "USED CAR" and that is what I enjoy doing with it.
    IMG_1639.JPG
    Checked out the picture of the Pontiac Safari. I like that one a lot.

23. docmike

docmike

raymay, please don't think that I have anything against your truck. I love the way you made it look almost factory original. You have great fabrication skills that I can only dream of having. Out of all the conversions of this type that, yours has to be one of the nicest I've ever seen. I wouldn't change a thing. I've often wondered how conversions of this type would look with different proportions and the photo of yours lends itself to a little Photoshop work. (In other words, this photo made it easy to hide the Photoshop changes that I made.)

Doc

24. raymay

raymay

No problem Doc. I am glad you like and take and interest in the build. I have always done a lot with pictures, drawings and built diecast or plastic models of several cars I built. Nice part is if I sell them I still have the model to enjoy. Never did learn how to do photoshop which would probably be another helpful tool.
    Currently making some changes to a model of a Chevelle longroof for a build I have started converting the real car to a 2dr with a little bit of a Nomad style. I guess in my mind it is going to be another "They should have built one of these".
    01.jpg IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2352.JPG IMG_3291.JPG

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd like to see what the '56 would look like with Nomad B pillars.

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool. There is a 1957 running around Springfield, MO done the same way.

27. when I first looked at the photos as it was cut up I didn't think I would like it:eek:....But after seeing the finished car I like it a lot:cool:...way cool car man

28. That '56 is AMAZING.

29. raymay

raymay

It has been several years and cruising in the 56 is still a major enjoyment. My road trips have created some noticeable stone chips so last winter I had the hood repainted.
    Recently at the Syracuse Nationals I got to meet a gentleman from New Jersey who has a 55 Chevy conversion. I had heard about his car since it was similar in color and when some of my friends saw it at an event in PA, they thought I was there.
    The owner of the 55 Vince Jackson and I checked out each others builds and took a few pictures of our cars together. They both drew some nice attention and compliments from the Syracuse crowd.

IMG_7050.JPG IMG_7051.JPG IMG_7054.JPG

30. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Ray, saw both cars at Syracuse yesterday. While the 55 is nice, I really like yours.