Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some photos of my '62 Catalina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rasputin, Apr 12, 2006.

1. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

As of last week I can finally drive my '62 Pontiac without feeling like it will kill me so thought I'd share some photos with everybody.
    A few of the things tackled over the last 8 weeks: New wiring, all new brakes, converted the bolt pattern to 4 3/4, the rear end was narrowed 3/4" on each side for tire clearance, swapped in Grand Prix grills, and the list goes on.
    I'm really psyched with how its coming along. I'm even more psyched that the weather here in Chicago is really nice lately and I can drive it around.

Attached Files:

2. Looks awesome!What color is the roof? I also really like the choice in wheels.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, I like those cars.......this one is really nice.

4. 63 wildcat

63 wildcat

killer car guy..............!!!!!!!!!!

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yeah, very nice.

7. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Whoa, LUX is gonna be cleaning his 'excitement' off his moniter all day after he sees this!:D
    Tru-Spokes?

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

where in chicago are you? i look forward to seeing you around. maybe at Garage Days?

9. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

the wires and bullets absolutely slay..

nice car, dude.

10. Hummina hummina, that is one nice hooptie. Them Skylark wires?

Let's see that thing at some of local Chicagoland events.

11. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Thanks for the positive comments.

The roof color is actually five different micas mixed into clear shot over that weird gray that the rest of the car is. That gray is a toner that is supposed to be added in tiny percentages to mix some modern OE colors. It sort of looks like cast metal. With all the dents the car looks like some kind of industrial waste. This paint job is just a temporary one until real bodywork happens some day. The clear on the roof is kinda fucked so later this summer we're going to sand it off and re-do it. Heavy flake, maybe some lace, etc... you know what I'm talking about.

The wheels are 14x6 Star Wires with 4" bullets added. Basically a 14" version of the setup used on the second coming of the Japanese masterpiece "Rod-Riguez".

12. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

13. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

I live on the far north side of the city...west rogers park.
    What's Garage Days?

My new years resolution was to try and be out more this year so any tips you guys can supply for local shit to check out would be appreciated.
    That's part of why I've started posting here on the HAMB. Figured it was time to stop being an automotive recluse and try and participate/contribute a little bit.

14. Anderson

Anderson

thats a damn nice car...can't wait to see it in paint, going to be beautiful.

15. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I like it-I like it a lot, not something you see everyday-change is good!

16. Lots of HAMBers around Chicagoland... "Garage Days" is the next big local event, a traditional parts swap meet at Kevin Tully's Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle shop in Addison, late April.

After my coupe is finished I plan on hosting a BBQ at my shack up in Deerfield, hopefully around late May. My club is also planning to have a slot car meet in Des Plaines later in the year.

The big thing is the Hunnert Car Pileup in October, out in Morris.

17. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Is your avatar an Electric Wizard cover?

18. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Hell yeah. Its the cover of Dopethrone.

Electric Wizard was a primary influence in the construction of my '62. Eventually I plan to have a trunk full of subs intended to blow the minds of poor suckers waiting for the bus as I roll past them two inches off the ground really slow.

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's very nice, great wheel/tire/stance! that 3/4'' was worth the effort, i assure you :)

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

21. Looks real good. I've always liked 62 Pontiacs....

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uhhh... That car is cool. Real cool.

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's rad man, temporary or not.

Yeah, check out Garage Days. We go to Super Dawg sometimes. Woodfire too. Thursday nights are bench racing/cruise nights at Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle in Addison and you can also check our board (see sig) for more local event type stuff.

24. That's just plain sweet!!!!!! That stance is right on!

25. Wow Harry,

Ya even got the BOSS to weigh in!! The car looks great, Firme! I haven't seen a set a "Star Wires" on a ride in ages. Looks fantastic.

Hope to meet ya soon.

Joel

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Where'd you find all those tilty schoolbuses?

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

I dig early 60's BOP's. Did you start with a basket case, a "runs n drives" car, or better?

28. NoBackPressure

NoBackPressure

Gotta luv the ol' Pontiacs. Miss mine.....

29. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

Nice looking Poncho!!!
    I bought my first 62 Catalina in 65, Cardnial Red, 389 with a two barrel and automatic, had 17,000 miles on it. I could peel rubber at 45 mph... not using low gear. Put a cut-out right behind the front wheel. Did a lot of street drag racing and could beat the four barrel 389s and the 390 Fords and Mercs. Finally took it to the strip and got a nice trophy. It ran in "I Stock Automatic".
    The next one was in 75 and was a Grand Prix. I traded a bicycle for it, drove it for a couple of years, it was just a junker, and the last one was in 97 also a junker was identical to the first one but it had a stick in it; gave it to my brother-in-law who just turned around and sold it, kind of ticked me off.
    Have you been out peeling any rubber with your Poncho yet?
    Tom

30. ponchoman

ponchoman

Nice lookin' ol' Poncho! Ya' need to bring it down to the HAMB drags in August and party with us. Can never have too many Pontiac freaks there.