Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Some one please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indygasser, May 7, 2011.

1. indygasser

indygasser

what is the cut off year for a gasser type car?a65,b68,or c70?:confused:kids these days:rolleyes:

2. indygasser

indygasser

the neighbor kidd drug home a 68 camaro,said he was gonna make it into a gasser , though it was a little new?

3. RichG

RichG

What does he mean by "gasser", it's become almost a generic term as of late.:rolleyes:

4. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

As far as NHRA is concerned, I don't think there is a cut-off year, as long as the chassis meets engine set back specs (10%, I think.), etc. "Ohio George" Montgomery had a notable '67-'68 Mustang gasser back in the day.

As far as the HAMB is concerned, '65ish is probably the cut-off.

Mike

5. Deuces

Deuces

It be worth more if he just restored it.... I know... There's that "R" word again.. :rolleyes:

6. Larry T

Larry T

Last NHRA gassers were in 1974. Whoops, make that 1975.
    Larry T

7. dannyego

dannyego

Pardon my ignorance but how do you determine percentage of engine setback?

8. Larry T

Larry T

Spindle centerline to front spark plug.

BTW to keep the car era correct on the 68 Camaro, the car would probably be around stock height or lowered.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. a few years ago i saw a late 60's/early 70's stingray gasser and thought it looked pretty tough. the mid 70's dodge darts look good with their noses in the air as well.

10. Larry T

Larry T

Couple more gassers from around 1967.

Attached Files:

11. indygasser

indygasser

thanks for the info! great pics!:D

12. Larry T

Larry T

I pulled the pictures off different threads here, but if you look they belong to Mike Ditty/Byrons Gasser Madness. If you'll go to Byron's Gasser Madness website, there will be a LOT more.
    Larry T

http://gassermadness.com/

13. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Not really gasser but in the late 60 early 70s everybody raised there cars aint nothing sweeter than a 69 Z28 raised up with skinnys and n-50 s on 10 inchers 31/2 inch ansens.Here is a elcamino I am doing now with the big springs and lift kitRunning a 454 and a 4 speed in it in the pic:D

Attached Files:

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

15. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Id say '65, after that cars dont look right with thier nose in the air.

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

On say a 110" wheel base 10% would be 11" from front spindle center line to front of block.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Speaking of which--look at your AVATAR Indygasser.

18. 1970 Cuda by Fred Hurst complete with straight axle...so a '68 is certainly plausible...

[​IMG]

19. Gassers are the new Rat Rods.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with Larry and add to that, if you intend to build a Gasser style car build it era correct for one era or time frame. Not all gas class cars were jacked up with straight axles. Do the research and build the car for a certain time frame. Then you can pull out some old drag car magazines and say "yup, I built the car to look like a _ / G car would have looked in 19__.
    Just like those of who build traditional customs try to have a certain time frame in it's stance, equipment and overall attitude guys building gasser style cars need to be doing the same.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

To sparkplug for #1 cyl..:D

22. aircap

aircap

They still have gassers in the NHRA - they call them Super Gas these days.....

23. yeah i aggree but GASSERS and STREETFREAKS are friggin cool rats not soo much

i think most anycar built from 64-74 looks good up in the air (i dont mean nosebleed high) i mean with enough ground clearence to slide under it with out jacking it up like the elcamino carlos posted

of course im not an airbag kinda guy either

i think the op's neighbor means a straightaxled gasser 68 camaro i think it would look terrible

i remember seeing a pic of a 68 coronet streetfreak on moparts that didnt look too hatefull

24. indygasser

indygasser

thanks for all the info! cool pics anymore?

25. Algon

Algon

Well PSI sold straight axle kits for them when they were new to look like the FireChicken in your avatar.......:D irony.

26. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ahh yes that's right. Little bit o memory fuzz.lol

27. Greezeball

Greezeball

If you want pure gasser I'd stay mid sixties or older. Now a street freak is a completely different ball o' wax I think you could safely slide into late 70s early 80s with the right car. Foreign jobs qualify too, remember Anglias are imports.[​IMG]
    this Volvo is sick.
    I think a Chevette or Pinto all street freaked out like this would be crazy cool or how about a Datsun 510 or 240 or a mid 70 Jag Xj coupe, late 70s 'Vette is an obvious choice for a crazy metal flaked street freak. 70s Dodge Colt would work too. Plymouth Arrow is another candidate, so is a Mustang II. IMO a gasser needs to follow the rule book for the era and class eg. D/G 1961 or A/GS 1965. Where as a street freak is no rules other than the straight axle jacked up stance.

28. Larry T

Larry T

Taking a late 60's/70's car and building it to a 50's/early 60'd style never made much sense to me. In this case, it would have been kinda hard to build a 68 Camaro in 1963.
    Larry T

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

Yes a 1st gen Camaro done as a 1963 rules correct gasser does not work but as a street freak it would work as that style was pervasive throughout the 70s into the early 80s. The street freak is more about show than go, lots of chrome including suspension, big flashy engine with some kind of wild induction like a big blower or tunnel ram, extreme big and little tire and wheel combo and wild paint.

30. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Nothing wrong w/ the restoration of a cool muscle car...