Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some old street rod pics from the 70s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canadian Eh!, Jul 25, 2010.

1. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

The time period had a lot to do with the tires you see on the rods in these pics and IMO the 1970's were not the best time period for hot rods.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. customcory

customcory

Tires usta stick out of the back fenders back then and I would just bitch about it, but now I kinda like it and what it represents. I saw a lot of those cars back then, GReat pics.

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thanx Rik.
    Love the 1st version, but the second w7 what looks like an asimmetrical boat tail rear window is too much for me to bare.
    1st version is kool as hell thoug, would be great to see this cruise w/ the limelighter.

4. That's Skip Redio's '34 more door from Mass. that's been to Oz and back. He did, and still does, drive the wheels off it.

5. skirtless33

skirtless33

Thanks, I took lots in the 70s even Peoria maybe I'll learn to scan someday.

6. I love the look of tires that stick out out past the fender.

The 70's styles rod will be the next trend. Even the gassers are morphing into street freaks.

7. abone1930

abone1930

Damn them are some old picks ,thanks for shareing. Never seen this one before?:D

Attached Files:

• 1502.jpg
      1502.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  8. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Great shots. And just think, other than the T buckets, probably not a glass car in the lot. I have some shots of the Good Guys from Southfork Ranch, Plano TX in 82 I will try to post someday.

9. akustom57

akustom57

This 54 belonged to my dad in the 80's. The white version is the way he had it redone and still remains that way today

Attached Files:

10. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

Being a younger guy the one thing i noticed straight away is that it is not a sea of Fords. There are hot rods of every make and model, Its cool to see. When did it change?

11. Big thanks to you, Anne-Marie, and Matt, eh!

Those are some great pics. Remind me of my mustache days.

12. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

....yep, I'd put that car's odometer up against any other street driven rod. He's been driving the wheels off that thing since the mid 60's

hahaha..here's proof:
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah and he (literally) wrote the book on hot rod wiring...you can find it at Barnes & Noble!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  13. dmw56

dmw56

Man I just had a major flashback!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll give you my take on the non Ford thing. By the mid seventies it was kinda established that the '32 - '34 Ford was it as far as street rods go. They started climbing in price and it kind of rippled through the street rod world. This coincided with three other factors, The resto rod thing, the lack of fiberglass bodies, (other than T buckets and deuce roadster$...), and the beginings of the acceptance of later than '35 cars in general. With the resto rod thing, you left the body stock, and hung a set of Tru-Spokes on, lowered it a bit, painted, and you were in step. Chrysler and Chevy both sponsored car corrals at major events for vehicles of their makes. For a breif period, the weirder a car you could find to do, the better. The next phase kind changed thing s up a bit, because suddenly there were tons of manufactures making glass bodies that made it easier to build a "desirable" car. Also the "high tech" thing was just beginning to bloom, which diluted things a bit more. The for those that didn't dig either of those sub sets, The whole "fat fender" thing bloomed as well. About twenty years ago when the "real hot rods" phase got going again, people just kind of realized that you can pull the fenders off a '37 Plymouth, chop it channel it, pull the hood - but it's still a '37 Plymouth. Suddenly Ford stuff that we all considered throw away through the seventies and eighties was now savable - and worth some thing! For what it's worth, and some of the other guys might disagree, the multi make thing always seemed to be more of a East coast-mid west kinda thing. Hope that wasn't too long winded...

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you so much for sharing those shots. Love the gassers and the unchopped model a tudors... and a bunch of other stuff. NICE!

16. indyjps

indyjps

hmm, I only see one car in primer

17. brad2v

brad2v

Not sure I should admit this on this board, but this is my favorite era of rods. But, my excuse is that I'm 39, so the first rods I saw looked like these. Thanks for posting the pics.

18. Mine too. My neighbor had a '32 5 window and couple times a summer he had the local chapter of the Early Times car club show up at his house-maybe 20 cars. I grew up on slot mags, tunnel rams and Cragars and diamond tuck interiors. I can do without the wire wheel resto rod's though...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

That was Pierre Lorraine's '26 T from Laval Quebec. When I was 16 back in 1979 I went to the Canadian Street Rod Nats in Ottawa. He and his wife were there with the car and I talked him into giving me a ride in it. It was very well done for that era.
    I don't mind admitting I like that era of rods as well. That was the time that I got my first real taste of rodding.

20. Canadian Eh! - Neato Pics! ... thanks for sharing!

I'm a bit surprised to see how well this thread has been received here on the H.A.M.B. ... I have literally thousands of color photos & slides of '70s Street Rods (from local, regional, & National events) ... but never thought it would be worth all the time & effort it would take to digitize (scan) them for posting here ... I guess I was afraid that the so-called "Trad Police" would just get the thread closed or deleted.

21. I think it brings back good times to many of us. The 70's were really an more simpler and innocent time and street rodding boomed in the 70's. I was in my teens in the mid 70's and was really influenced by cars of this style.

22. Larry T

Larry T

60's & 70's are my favorite years for hotrods too. Because they are what I remember during my "glory days".
    Thanks for the pictures.
    Larry T

23. Hey Matt;
    You and the old man have been holding out on me ALL these years..
    Saw the Topolino in RED..

It was red when I bought it in the 90's.!!

Thanks for posting ALL those great pics.
    let's do a "where are they now"
    I know several are still around .

Rick
    ========================================

24. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Thanks for all of the great replies - very cool that so many of you recognize the pics.

As for something a little more traditional - how about my 32 going in for exhaust?! Hasn't been off the property in 9 years!!! Once I get a few more pics off the camera I will do an official post on the car.

Attached Files:

25. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Nice collection and thanks for posting the link. However.....

the photos of 49 and later cars couldn't have been taken at Columbus or any other NSRA show. They strictly limited their entries to pre-48.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol I was there too as a skinny 15 yr old took the bus down on Friday and took some pics with my moms 110 camera , I remember that T very well it seemed really classy ! I also remember that red and whit 55 Nomad with the straight axle , I loved that car ! I remember talking to the owner for quite a while he was kinda surprised when a 15 yr old asked him how it handled with the straight axle ! I think it was from southern Ontario ? I saw it a couple of years later at Autorama , the roof had been painted a lighter shade of red candy...memories !! I think a couple of other cars there might be from some older friends that I didnt know at the time I am gonna check with them . Thanks for posting the pics, and the trip down memory lane!!

27. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Hell Yes ...I saw this car in 77 or 78 ??. It's at the Top of the list in my book:D:D:D

28. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure Dick bought this coupe from Billy Moore in Windsor Ontario. Great car with a lot of history. Billy drove it with an Olds in it and then built it into a drag car with a 427 Tunnel port Ford. I have some pics somewhere - I'll start searching for them.

29. 63dan63

63dan63

This shit we do isn't new ... is it.

[​IMG]

30. Yes

The first link he has posted: The post '48 cars looks like they belong on his second link "misc car show" as they were definitely not at Columbus. By the look of the trees and license plates appears to be somewhere in Canada.

The pre '48 cars in the first link definitely are at the Columbus fairgrounds at the '78 NSRA Nats.