Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Some old school faith in humanity remains (parts buying)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Oct 18, 2018.

1. NAES

NAES

Just a quick observation from an experience I just had dealing with a super cool, old school parts house.

I needed front wheel bearings for my 1955 Cadillac and was referred to Olcar Bearings for all things roundy round. The owner George knew exactly what I needed and just wanted to check his inventory. He took my number down and called me about 2 hours later letting me know he had them in stock. He only carries USA or equivalent products, doesn't take credit cards over the phone, etc. Instead he said he will mail them out with an invoice and to just send him a check after they arrive! This was a shocker to say the least but then again I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't trust most people when it comes to a dollar.

Anyways, if you need some hard to find bearings and want a kickass experience to boot, give this guy a try.

Olcar Bearings
    135 James Creek Rd.
    Southern Pines, NC 28387
    910-693-3324

NAES

charleyw, wraymen, Rich S. and 8 others like this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks for the heads up..As an added note I order odds and ends from McMaster-Carr about once a year..I pay through MC and the number on record was not in use any more but they sent the order and let me "catch up"..

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The Jensen Steam Engine company did that some years ago. I needed some parts, they mailed a box of all kinds of stuff, "take what you need, write a check, and send the rest back." It was pretty clever on their part.

4. I'm saving this info,thanks NAES.

lothiandon1940, Stogy and loudbang like this.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I had a deal like this a couple years ago. I was at the Springfield Swap meet in Springfield ,Ohio. A vender there had a bunch of misc. stuff and I asked him what he might have for a 55 Buick Special as I wanted a clock for mine. He said he thought he had one but not with him. He asked for my email address so he could check at home. In about three days he sent a message that he had one and for me to give my mailing address. I gave it to him, I thought so he could figure the shipping cost. Three more days and I received the clock! In the box was a note that said if you want it send me $25 bucks, if not send it back. I sent him a money order for $35.00 to cover his shipping and told him to have a cold one on me just because he was such a stand up guy. Every now and then your faith in humanity is restored!:cool:

6. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

I bought a set of 38 chevy headlights from a member here,sent him a mo and he sent me the parts,actually nicer then he described!

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

I had a similar experience with Ficken Wiper. Back in the 90's I had just finished the restoration of my 1932 Hupmobile F222. There was a show coming up I wanted to enter, but needed wiper arms and blades to finish the car. I called Ficken, told them what I needed and about the show. They sent the parts out with an invoice so I could mail them a check, instead of waiting to get my check in the mail and then send. I must not of had a credit card then.

8. People are quick to complain about vendors but rarely take the time to commend them, thank you for the positive review. HRP

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Makes me feel like back in the old days when a handshake and your word was solid as a rock. That's the people I enjoy dealing with. People like that are getting about as rare as common sense.

10. 5window

5window

I have some rather unusual Faria gauges in my '31. Usually, they make boat gauges. Anyway, I needed a bulb for one of the gauges, wrote to them about availability-I didn't even have a part # and they sent me a whole box of bulbs-30 or so-no charge. (maybe they were clearing out a parts bin?) but still, very nice.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Stogy and Texas Webb like this.
  11. 5window

5window

I've lost some money on deals where I shook hands on another offer first. My word's good. Golden Rule works for me.

Rich S., Stogy and TagMan like this.
  12. cool....and cool on them.

Stogy likes this.
  13. NAES

NAES

Here's what arrived today. Hand wrapped individually with a hand written invoice. Cool stuff if you ask me.

They're New Departure bearings which went under or was bought out in the 80's I believe so they've just been sitting there waiting for me! I'm guessing they're the same company that made skiptooth hubs back in the 30's and 40's.

Time to pack 'em and run em! IMG_20181023_170929_940.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I have had dealings with Olcar before and he is just beyond great to deal with. Heck, the last time I needed a seal he sent me one no charge. I have referred many folks to him.

15. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

When I was building my 60 T Bird last year the guy I was dealing with was the same way , I'd tell him what I needed and he would send me the parts with an invoice . I didn't think anyone had that much trust in people today .