Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some Old Ford gets some long overdue attention (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hvywrench, Apr 12, 2012.

1. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Due to some requests, I'll start posting some pics as the engine slowly comes together, and pics of some other improvements.

From this:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really think that aluminum with a satin finish is as good as it gets for what I'm aiming for.

My watchmaker friend saved my clock from the mouse piss:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent some time working the sharp edges from the oil filter mount and cleaning up the passages:
    [​IMG]

As things move along I'll post more. Probably won't happen quickly...

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Dang !!!!

If thats a C8 intake,.... I need that soooo bad for a O/T car I have !

3. That clock's a keeper, "Made in the USA", prolly can't find one that says that anymore.:(

4. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Sorry! That whole engine is a '64 and all the major parts are date-coded correctly.

[​IMG]

5. crf500

crf500

There has to be something good going on here! it started with a dual quad fe :)

6. desotot

desotot

think I'll try follow this.Looks like it could be interesting, how bout some more pics?

7. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

8. Scumdog

Scumdog

'63 casting....?

9. Scumdog

Scumdog

Love those words - that's why 80% of my cars were made there, gas-guzzlers or not.

And the remaining one is a NZ-made Anglia.:D

10. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed!!!!

11. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

12. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes. Nice to see you're refreshing it up some..

I love that video.

14. SOHC427

SOHC427

Bill,

Glad to see the post on your car! Mine is on the back burner, on low, as we speak.

Let get these old Gals back on the road!!
    Eric

15. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Hey Eric, yeah, it is going really slow, but I knew that going in.
    The block has been honed to fit the new pistons, the crank has been ground 10/10 and it is perfectly straight. Waiting for some more parts to deliver and those should be arriving in the next day or so.
    I don't mind waiting because the work will be done right.
    Seriously considering installing the 360 truck engine I got for cheap. I've cleaned up the Edelbrock and will install the intake this coming weekend, have had the old 427 flywheel resurfaced and is on the 360. Everything else will bolt up easily.
    I've switched from the rear sump truck pan to a front sump and pickup and I have high hopes of dropping this one in the car with some period correct Cal Custom valve covers so I can at least drive the car until the R-Code is done. Heck, the Gal weighs about the same as a truck, so why not??
    Will have to change the fender flags back to 390 though, and keep the hood closed I suppose.
    I spent some time messing with the different exhaust systems in order to cure the paint on the long tubes and cure the ceramic coating on the Tri-Ys.
    Played with a camera and youtube so I'll have an idea how to properly video the start-up of the new engine.
    Discovered that I'm not a real videographer, just related to one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHDJ0vE_qw

A little long, and kinda boring, but that raggedy engine sounds ok.
    Thanks for checking in.
    Bill

16. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Sooooo, thought I would update a bit.
    Did some messing around with the 360 to make it a bit more presentable with the idea that I would put it in the car in order to drive it to the Vintage Races at Lime Rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pressure washed the block, painted it black, and installed the bellhousing and clutch assy from the 427. Now it looks like a correct 390 that belongs in the car. (Have to put the 390 badges back on the fenders to be 'honest'.)
    Was planning on getting a move on dropping this in and sorting it out...

Then I stopped in at the machinist yesterday to visit, and was pleased to see that there has been some progress, yee-ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based on the progress shown and my conversation with the machinist, I just know that as soon as I stuff the 360 in the car, the 427 will be done.
    Guess I'll wait and hope for the best, subject to change, of course....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the 427 is almost ready to me....I can't wait...hope to see a video of it running on the stand soon.

18. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Gettin' harder and harder to not camp out at the machine shop now that things are happenin'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I wouldn't blame you for camping out there! Engine's looking good!

20. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

It looks a lot nicer in person, I'm not much of a photographer.
    The builder is really cool with me coming by to shoot the breeze and ask questions. Really great guy.

21. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

All right, big engine still in machine shop jail so I decided to bite the bullet and get moving.
    From this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the big stuff is done, just the final hooking of stuff up and it should hopefully make smoke tomorrow and then I'll be able to mingle with the Grey Poupon/Brie crowd at Lime Rock next weekend.
    I should blend right in.......no?

22. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks for the updates.

I am going to go watch the original "some old Ford" video again.

23. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Yessir, the 427 is coming along nicely and will be very solid when it's done. The rebuild is just taking a while and I was hoping to motor to the Vintage Races.
    I'll just keep the hood closed.

24. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

It took all day but the deed is (mostly) done.
    Looks like it belongs there for the most part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road test generated a list of piddly stuff that needs attention, but overall it was a successful day.

25. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, it took about 30 years but my ragged Galaxie went from where I have it stored and where I work on it to where I hang my hat.
    37 miles one way, all country 2-lane roads and small towns.
    I tried to make the trip last night and after about 5 miles I pulled over to check things out because I could smell hot rubber.
    Turns out that the tailpipe had shifted to where it was rubbing on the rear tire.
    While it was idling there I heard a nasty noise under the hood that turned out to be the fan clipping the fiberglass shroud. Shut the engine off and there was a ton of movement in the fan clutch (was on the truck engine when I got it).
    Limped it back to where it lived.
    Got a new clutch today from 'my' very dedicated parts guy, spent some time tweaking the tailpipe, loaded the tools back in it and set sail.
    Naturally, every noise was 'something to be worried about', but I only stopped one time, determined that there were no problems and pushed on.
    Made it without any glitches at all, parked it in the driveway and rolled under to take a look....saw one tiny drip on an oil pan bolt and that was all!
    Engine temp 180 the whole time, oil pressure between 55-60 at speed (has 3.91s in it and those are a bit tall for the highway), idles smooth at stop lights, and handles like a '64 Galaxie (I'll have to work on that), and doesn't seem to smoke out of the pipes.
    I'm leaving the 427 badges on and gonna drive it!
    Been waiting a very long time for this, best guess is that the R engine will be done in the next couple weeks, but for right now I'm planning on enjoying the 360 that looks like a 390/427/428.
    Still a bit nervous from the drive,but will take it to work tomorrow to prove to the non-believers that I really do own it.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

27. Man this makes me want to pull out my 64 custom. Its been in the barn for ten years now.

28. Hey is this the car from that old Ford short movie?

Awesome car and awesome clip if it is.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great stuff Bill.

30. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Yessir, it is, thanks for the comment.