Register now to get rid of these ads!

some of the work from my shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

some of the work i have been doing on this car lately has been not photo worthy, lots of welding and grinding on the floor pans, and sub rails. but i started working on the steering box a little today. it is a reversed corvair box, i am going to run it as cowl steering. so i have to make an extension to get the pitman arm to the out side of the body,and make the pitman arm.

here is the draft of the plan

[​IMG]

all the pieces machined, after a few hours turning handles lol

[​IMG]

close up of the pitman arm i made

[​IMG]

the mess i made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

everything bolted up on the work table, there will be carrier bearing installed when the assembly is installed in the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnod

johnod

Nice, all of it.
    Is the extension splined?

3. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

yea it is splined and the extension is hollow so when the pitman arm is removed you can use the stock nut and lock washer to hold it to the box

4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

i have had a few questions on how the steering out put shaft extension is held on so i snapped a few pics of it today, you can see the one end is splined to fit the splines on the box, and the other end is hollow so you can use a socket and extension to install the nut and lock washer to the end of the output shaft and hold it all together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for takimng the time to post the work, and also answer all the questions fired your way.
    Michael

6. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

started making the new hood sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is two separate panels so it doesnt have a big hole under the headers

[​IMG]

think i might remake the filler panel under the header, the louvers look funny

and drilled all the mounting holes for the dash panel, and got the gauge pod mounted

[​IMG]

7. johnod

johnod

Really like the dash panel and gauge.

8. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very Cool.... I dig it!!

9. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the kirby roadster body is in primer!!!!! started putting it back together for the final time, at least while i am working on it. here are some pics from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

today i feel i made one of the hardest body panels i have had to fabricate. it is the rear corner of a 51 chevy school bus. this thing took all day to get half way close, but turned out pretty good. both the reverse compound curve and the rolled bottom edge fade out to flat on the side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. looks great man, I'd like to see the rest of that project.

12. bent metal

bent metal

Very nice work! When you roll a bead in sheet metal, how are you rounding off the ends?

13. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

to coin (or round the end of the bead) i use a gasket punch, that is the same size/ dia. as the bead. i take the gasket punch and notch it so it is not a circle any more, but have half circle. if i remember i will take a pic the punches. you can get a full set for $3 at harbor freight

14. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the last piece for the old chevy school bus. made a couple wooden bucks and hammer formed it, noting to special

[​IMG]

15. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

getting the other roadster ready to go to the paint shop, the owner decided he wanted to go with a frame mounted brake pedal/ master cylinder. so i had to weld up the holes in the fire wall, and cut the hole in the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the brake assembly

[​IMG]

been holding off on this job for a while. the gaps around the deck lid were horrible so i had to pie cut the deck lid to fix the issue. really kind of sucks i had to do it in the first place since it brookeville body and decklid. it is what it is though

cut, moved and tacked

[​IMG]

welded up and ground smooth

[​IMG]

16. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

well this month has been hectic with all the traveling i have been doing for shows and events. so i have been in town for the past week so i figured i would try to make some big leaps on this one before i leave again lol. so here they are

made these little brackets that bolt to the fire wall that the hood latched hook to

[​IMG]

made a support plate that will help spread out the weight of the oil filter can on the fire wall, and it helps dress it up a little

[​IMG]

with the filter can on

[​IMG]

then moved on to more work on the pedals/ steering. it is all going to be one unit under the dash. here is the pedal assembly with the steering box mocked up to it, you cant see the pedals in the first pic, i took them off to make it easier to get in and out of the car

[​IMG]

pitman arm on the car for the first time

[​IMG]

bent up a tube that welds to the cowl/ door post, i will be attaching brackets to help support the steering/ pedal assembly

[​IMG]

more of the supports coming together. the collar to the right with the upright will be split in half horizontally with tabs welded to it so it can be bolted together. this way the steering box bracket can be removed if need be. the collar to the left of the clamp collar is a pivot that will be part of the gas pedal (cardboard template of the pedal can be seen)

[​IMG]

here is a close up shot of how the bracket attaches to the box, using the 3 bolt locations that hold the side cap/ adjuster on. using spacers and plate to attach the tube to. you can also see part of the pedals in this pic, still need to attach the brake pedal arm to the pivot

[​IMG]

17. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

18. Its nice to see how much pride you take in your work. Never mind the shop though, more of the living room dragster!!

19. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

20. xwing01

xwing01

Absolutely terrific

21. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

sorry that the pics were not working for a while, i think i got that problem resolved.

so back to the car

been working on the steering a lot more, trying to get it all fabricated and working. so here it is after a ton of hours

had to make a custom brass bushing to support the steering shaft, a huge thanks to Josh Shaw for his help on a saturday afternoon machining job

[​IMG]

the clamp to attach the bushing to the tube work

[​IMG]

starting to look like something

[​IMG]

made some brackets to support the steering shaft from the wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then had to make a steering column clamp to support the column and steering wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the finished product, just need to finish up the pedals

[​IMG]

22. I always enjoy seeing your guy's work.

23. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks man, i just try to do the best that i can do

24. ColinCS

ColinCS

Very nice variety of projects in the shop! Really like the 3 carbs sticking through the hood pic. Good looking welds also. I am in the same boat as you being young and somewhat intimidated by some of the work going on here on the HAMB, but it's all about learning and progressing! Keep up the good work!

25. looking great, its sad that soo much work goes into the little things that most people will never see or realize. But hotrodding is art and you got some great works over there.

26. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

so this week i have been working on 38 ford truck, kinda an O/T type build, but i thought many of you would like the fabrication and especially the engine

started cutting the 2x4x3/16 wall tube

[​IMG]

made some wood patterns to plasma cut out the flat plate sections for the rear of the chassis

[​IMG]

got a lot of the chassis tacked up on the driver side, used a template for the front of the frame that the owner provided

[​IMG]

then moved on to setting the cab on the chassis so far to make sure it has the look that the owner wants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rear of the chassis is going to be pinched in for the wide meats out back

[​IMG]

then set the block up in the car to see how it was going to lay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then tossed on the hood and grill shell to do some more looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cut some 1x1 tube to use as spacers on the front frame rails, using the mill to make sure they are all the same

[​IMG]

welding in all the spacers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the front rails all tacked up and squared up, took the cab back off to do some tube work under the cab and finish up the perimeter frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is a front shot to show how the front rails are bowed

[​IMG]

first thing this morning i double checked the frame for square before i moved to more tube work and setting the engine and trans

[​IMG]

motor and trans set up, centered and leveled out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

/albums/r689/cornfield_customs/photo8_zps2d533971.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

and some tube work on the center section, and rear of the chassis, more to come

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started making the motor mounts today

cut out the plates that bolt to the engine

[​IMG]

then cut and bent the frame side mount

[​IMG]

used some cardboard to fill in the gap

[​IMG]

plate cut and drilled, still need to plate the top and bottom to make it an i beam

driver side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

passenger side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  28. looks killer, looks like you are having alot of fun with it. great work.

29. 65 impala

65 impala

30. mx6262

mx6262

Craftsmen of the Corn.....:cool: