Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Some help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solid, Jun 9, 2011.

1. solid

solid

What are any of you guys useing to glue the rubber on fiberglass running boards. Seems like it would have to be pretty tuff stuff to last. Thank you much.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

Trim adhesive spray? I think it comes in a spray...

3. 3M trim adhesive in the tube

4. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

A good quality brush on contact cement.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

I think I'd use the spray for a quick, easy, even application. You don't wanna be taking much time trying to spread it manually out of a tube. Dries fast.

Just a reminder to help. Think of your process and prepare before starting. Once the rubber is in place, I doubt you're gonna be able to be movin' it around to adjust. So...remember to position before-hand, and secure with tape, etc. After you're completely satisfied with the position, and the rubber is secured, raise up one edge...probably the edge closest to you. I would get a helping pair of hands for this. Spray adhesive at least a couple of inches in. Follow directions...I think spray on both surfaces and let it "tack-up". Then let the edge of the rubber down and press to running-board. Let it set for a few minutes. Now pull all tape, or whatever you used to secure the rubber, and lift the remaining portion, and spray. As you attach remaining rubber, I think start at the middle, and work outward.

Anybody have any more tips or disagree?

[​IMG]

6. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Whatever method you try, do ONLY one side at a time. If your first attempt doesn't work, you only farked up one side.
    Contact cement works well. Follow the instructions, apply cement to both surfaces, rubber and the surface your are gluing to.
    Wait until the cemented surfaces are tacky then place the two surfaces together.
    If you don't like contact cement, look at 3M 5200, an adhesive that is a fast curing PERMANENT glue.
    All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On my 40 Ford coupe ... I had Hunley Acuff remold a set of covers on my original boards. They looked NOS when he finished. He does boards other than Fords also.

Go here

http://hunleyacuffrunningboards.com/

8. I just painted my roadster last week and replaced the running board rubber on Sunday. I tried the high strength 3M spray adhesive and it did not hold very well on the rubber. Cleaned it all off and used contact cement, the brush on out of a can stuff. DAP is the brand I used. I tried a test piece first and it works great. Just make sure you coat both surfaces and give it about 10 minuites to set up before putting them together. Line up the rubber on the board DRY and spring clamp it on, then fold it back and do half the board at a time to make sure it's lined up right, once the two surfaces touch with the glue on them there is no turning back, that stuff sticks!! Use a rolling pin to roll it out as you go. Mine turned out great. I used the urethane glue in a tube the first time I did it a couple of years ago and it turned out all bubbley and lumpy looking. If you use contact cement and follow the instructions you will be happy with the end result. Good luck.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    from Michigan

Always nice to hear from somebody that's actually done it...maybe a couple of times.

Kudos to oldschool66.

Good luck, solid.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget to wipe down the glue side of the rubber covers with alcohol or acetone etc. All the ones that I have done had a powdery mold release still on them. You want to get rid of that so that the contact cement adheres to the rubber. I've done the molded 32s and 36s and they can be a bitch but mine turned out just fine. My mats came with the contact glue and instructions that included the wipe down part.

Like doing a formica counter top once the two sides make "contact" it's done. So do a dry test run or two to get the feel for how the rubber is going to fit. Unlike the counter top you can't come back later and trim it to fit. So take your time and use some wooden sticks or dowels to keep them separated until you get to that area as you work along the boards.

Take your time and plan it all out. It's not rocket science but careful planning can go a long way to getting a successful outcome.

That trim spray is for interiors and not for running board mats.

I did my Deuce RBs about 20 years ago. They have been stored in the super hot attic of my garage and still look great today.