Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some help on a 37 Ford Truck build please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Mar 6, 2013.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

Here is the story.
    My friend, and as he says I am his adopted grandson has a 37 ford truck. He bought it in the early 50s when he met his now wife and it was the truck they drove when they got married in the 50s. He had a Rocket 88 in it, was a lone wolf but knew alot of clubs then, street dragged it etc. He has never gotten rid of it, and dreamed about driving it again, but with family, kids and work hasnt gotten around to getting it up and going. Now he has bad knees from years of being a plumber, and has prostate cancer (he is doing well and maintaining good health). He is in his 80s now.

As it sits now, no engine. everything else is there but a back window. Body is in decent shape. He does have a 302 and matching auto trans plus rearend sitting at his house. He would like to keep it ford in a ford and does have a 67 mustang rear end in it now.

He is a very nice and kind man, so I am going to get it going for him again. His knees are bad, so bad he should be using a cane but refuses to. So I need to update the brakes. I dont have alot of extra money right now, but I do have some parts and time.

So here is my plan.
    Freshen up the 302 and drop it in.
    Find some disc brakes for the front, or if possible use the ones off my shoebox (I can stomp on drums, he can not).
    Master, something not big and nasty but something that can be hidden and doesnt cost a fortune.
    Throw some new or slightly used wide whites one it>

Once its driving then, clean up the body, rust/cancer and paint. Possibly do a little custom work to it.

I plan on starting this in May, so I will pick it up and bring it to my garage. I want it looking nice as possible, but this is a gift to him, and my funds ARE NOT flowing freely. So this is where I need your guys help.

*His ideas, good driver, disc brakes. a little lowered and some mild custom work. He does want bucket seats. Paint he said my ideas, and custom work as well*

1. I need ideas on the brake system. As I said I have the ECi for a shoebox ford on mine can they be adapted to the 37? If not what would you suggest about putting something together.
    2. The 302 matching auto trans, ideas on possible issues dropping it in?
      Recommendations?
    3. Dont want to slam it, but give it a good cruise height. Suggestions for suspension?
    4. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

He is a good man, and always helps others, is a amazing father and husband. I would like to make it to a show car for him, but like I said finances wont allow me to, plus I want him to drive the tires off it. Give you an idea, we where at lunch and talking cars and tools, he asked what else i needed and I said my next purchase is an English Wheel, he showed up later that week with a brand new one as a gift. He did it not for anything in return but just as a gift.

I will post pics in a couple weeks when I go to visit him. sorry for the long post.

Thanks everyone for any direction or suggestions.
    Matthew

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Looking forward to the pictures of the truck. Glad to hear that the two of you want to keep it all ford. Good luck on the build.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

How about Volvo discs?
    It should be easy conversion for the ford spindles,that was popular conversion few decades ago and should be cheap too..