Register now to get rid of these ads!

some guy crushing his dads cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petebert, Jul 24, 2008.

1. 8 pages of about 90% negative on this guy and still the scrap man is the only one actually buying anything.

2. It's not like they crushed anything that had any traditional hot rod potential...

Sam

3. Yeah, I was real tore up over that Roscoe P. Coltraine look alike Dodge Sedan.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is directed at all HAMBer's reading this not the above poster. Have any of you pissing and moaning about a guy cleaning out his own personal property bothered to go to the HAMB classifieds? I bet the big mouth guys that have posted over 7 pages of BS on this cleanup haven't spent a dime on HAMB parts that for sale. The cars that were scraped sure looked like shit to me. Farm land is in better shape with them on their way to the shredder.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Talk (and typing) is cheap, my new hero is the guy loading the scrap on the trailer. I thought the crushing the doors closed was a very cool safety feature. I love scrapping stuff, got about 100 pounds of cast iron today.:rolleyes:

6. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

OK YOU GUYS - HERES THE DEAL ..
    THAT VIDEO SUCKED & I KEEP SEEING OTHER POSTS
    THAT THREAT THE SAME !

IF THERE ARE ANY OF YOU OUT THERE THAT
    CAN NOT SELL SOMETHING AND IT COMES DOWN TO THE CRUSHER ...

STILL RUNNIN MAGAZINE WILL FOR FREE PUBLISH THESE CARS IN EFFORT TO SAVE THEM SO THAT FELLOW GEARHEADS HAVE A CHANCE TO SAVE THEM VERSES HAVING A STROKE WATCHING THIS HAPPEN. ITS NOT GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH!
    I do ask for Honesty - its not a classified offer.
    Anyone have any suggestions, I'm all ears, PM me.
    Lea

EMAIL ME - IN THE "SUBJECT LINE" WRITE IN
    "SAVE ME FROM THE CRUSHER"
    WITH A DESCRIPTION / CONTACT INFO / LOCATION
    AND A LAST DATE TO SAVE IT FROM ITS DEATH.

NO EXCUSES !! THIS IS FREE !!

EMAIL TO:
    [email protected]

7. I scrap a lot of vintage tin myself but....I make damn sure there isn,t a fucking thing left on any of them that could possibly be needed by anyone. My full basement and portagarage are proof of that fact. My Belair now resides on the lawn.....

8. That stuff is a pretty normal operation at any scrapyard, though. They cave the tops in in the middle so they fold into the car, then when they run them through the masher they hold the doors closed with the forks until they're mashed enough to stay that way.

I'm finally going to do in a '58 Imperial this week or next. I'll be saving the dash, glass, grille, and I may try and hack some other pieces out of it. It still has a good frame, if nothing else someone could make a standout demo car with it - I can't even get someone to give me $300 for it.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looking at the property and all those outbuildings I garan-fucking-tee you I could pull $20,000 worth of ebay shit out of there. probably more.

10. Then you can deal with the pain-in-the-ass of running the auctions, dealing with jackass no-payers...then you get to pull the parts, store the cars, and for what return? People want parts for damn near nothing, plus shipping costs these days for just the little stuff is outrageous, never mind doors, hoods, engines, etc.

Step on up! I really hate seeing people crush this stuff (whether or not Roscoe P. Coltrane's Fury is of interest to you or not, it is to SOMEONE!), but I can certainly understand why they do it! Shit, out of that particular lot of cars, the '59 Impala, the Fury cop car, the '48 Plymouth 2-door sedan, and the '60 2-dr Lark caught my eye right off! But, am I willing to drive 750 miles to South Dakota, at $4.75/gallon for Diesel, and pick up a car for maybe $300? No, I'm not, not unless it was something I HAD to have! And there are plenty of farms not just in that area, but all over, that are in the same predicament.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Another good point. Those of us who are actually buying up these parts cars and parting them out or saving buildable project cars, we have a hard enough time getting people to buy it, even when it's properly advertised, and shipping is arranged.

Don't expect everyone to save everything for you, in case you ever need it. Act on it, keep the stuff you want and sell what you don't need. Crying about it isn't helping.

And PS. I'm currently looking for some parts cars within a reasonable distance of the Green Bay, Wisconsin area. I don't mind a 4 door with no motor or title, and they can be rotten, I'm just looking for parts cars. I have cash in hand and a truck with a trailer. PM me if you want to save something from the crusher. Especially interested in fin-era Mopars.

12. hi-jolly66

hi-jolly66

what a dumbass!!!!

13. Mudville

Mudville

Don't be so hard on the guy. The same thing is happening all over the country. With the price of scrap so high it causes the economics to kick. Yes, the vid made me sick, but you have to realize the situations the country is in.

14. Rathbone

Rathbone

This reminds me of when I was a kid. My Grandpa started a Ford dealership in '36. For 50 years he'd fix wrecks and push the parts cars out back. This rusty stuff was my playground. We'd get something running and drive it around. There were model T's, 55 Chevy's, a '59 Cadillac convertible, etc. He got cancer in '86 and crushed it all out and sold the land to the city for a post office and a factory. I was only 16 and wasn't able to save anything but some old license plates and a stop sign. I had no money or anyplace to put anything. I couldn't even save his vintage Coke machine. I watched it all get crushed . . . every car. I was like watching old friends die. No one in my family understood. Maybe this is why I like my cars now with a little "patina".

15. The country isn't in THAT bad of shape. Don't see any soup lines anywhere. It's the high price of scrap that is making the decision for people to scrap cars a whole lot easier, plain and simple.

All that top-quality iron and steel, going to China, so it can come back to us through Wally World, Harbor Freight, and others, as incredibly cheap and inferior "metal" crap, made from shitty Chinese alloys. Quit buying their cheap-assed shitty products, that means less demand for their cheap-assed shitty products, and that means China needs less of OUR resources to provide American consumers with cheap-assed shitty products. The solution IS really pretty simple...

Oh, and if you DO need one of those scrap/restorable cars and it comes up for sale, BUY the damn thing!

16. racemad55

racemad55

Lazy bastard probably doesn't have a real job,trying to live off his inheritance, wonder if the 61' buick had aluminum drums!

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I've got a In-laws who have the same mentality as our You-Tube hero.
    My Father-in-Law saves absolutely nothing. If he can make a buck selling it, it doesn't matter what it COULD be sold for, it's what kind of profit he can make off it TODAY. He owns a body shop that's been in business since the 50's. There was a ton of old NOS sheet metal/trim/glass that had been around since the 60's stored upstairs. I told him SEVERAL times I was interested in buying it/would help him sell it. One day I was at the shop and noticed all the NOS 60's windshields busted up in his dumpster. Panicked, I asked about all the other old stuff that had been with them. He told me he had the Bro-in-Law haul it in with a bunch of the other scrap he had around!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has passed that thinking on to my brother-in-law who is a scrapper. I've told him time and again to save the older stuff, or at least let me see it/scavenge it before you scrap it. I just saw him today, he was on his way from hauling a mid 50's Studebaker truck in for scrap. He was bitching about the guy giving him a hard time at the gas station because he was scrapping it. I've told him, 95% of the stuff you haul IS scrap. It's the other 5% that I'm worried about. He's been cleaning out A LOT of places just like this. Problem is, When he pays some old dude $50 for an old combine and scraps it for $1500 it hard to look at any metal as anything but profit. He says the same thing... Show me the Money! If someone will give him scrap price + a little extra he'll let it be saved. Unfortunately that doesn't happen. I think I have gotten him to at least save the pre-70 stuff if it's a 2 door, as well as old signs/gas stuff.
    So there is some hope....

18. I have a pair of those on my porch, not perfect but you could throw them on and go. They may get scrapped soon, I get tired of lugging that heavy shit to car shows only to have people turn their nose up and not even make an offer, or act like I should pay them to take it. Or offer me like $20 on something marked $125, like the carb I picked up last week.

Then again, from the Adirondacks, we got about 40 cars from under your nose a couple years ago. There were maybe 5 guys who bought cars out of there. And I had to deal with more bullshit from the assholes who were selling the place, it was unbelievable, they didn't want anyone else to make money off the stuff I guess. The last cars I got I had to sneak out when it was dark even though I bought them from the scrap guy they had in there.

19. I was dropping off a load of scrap today. Besides the 40's era track driven tractor that got dropped off, I found a trailer with 2 bent spoke KH wires, and another 17 inch one, along with a open window front drum setup.

The shitty thing is they ran it all into a pile with the loader and bent and fucked it all up. Except the tractor. Its still in one piece.

20. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

that guy is one shot his mother should have swallowed.....

21. 47 jailbar

47 jailbar
    from Mn

Best part of that guy ran down his mom's leg.

22. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

YEP... he's cashing it in, one ton at time, what a dumb ass!!

23. Thumper

Thumper

Well....I understand the fact that he wasn't a gearhead and maybe his back was against the wall to clean the place up....but he didn't have to be so fuckin smug about it. True, he could have pulled a shitload of parts off those cars and made a hellofa lot more money but than again the only tool he probably has is the one his takes a piss with.. Yeah..the tractor guys would have had a field day out there If they woulda known about his big sale. Unfortunately as said before..we can't save them all. Money and grreed rule the modern day world we live in and with all the cash he made off crushing the cars....just think of all the Starbucks double frothy creme de mint latte he can sip while fuckin his wifes cat in the ass while listening to Mason Williams pluck out "Classical Gas" on his Bose home theater sound system.
    But.....thats just my opinion and nobody really gives a shit.

24. You know, if your rig gets 20 MPG - which is very possible from a Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins - that's only $500. That's not that much money, really, its not like you have to go 3000 miles one way.

25. invisibleadam

invisibleadam

Everything old is new again... which is shit, really.

26. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

People like this guy shouldn't reproduce. There's already enough stupid in the world. I think I was able to watch about 50 seconds before turning it off. Recently, I just saved 3 1950 Mercs and a 48 Ford F1 from the crusher...now I'm outta room...

27. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

:eek: Your not the only one :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

28. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

What a tool....

29. phat rat

phat rat

Rustynewyorker, a lot of people don't think that way. I've had a T touring and a Ford COE on here and mostly I heard "to much to ship" or "to far to drive". Well the guy who bought the T is driving 2500 mi roundtrip. The guy buying the COE is driving 900 mi roundtrip

30. I sure as hell agree with you there!