Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SOLVED!! Wanted: 49 or 50 Cadillac steering box repair parts for my '29 AV8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dwollam, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dwollam

dwollam

Hi guys. I am having difficulty finding any info on rebuild parts for what I believe to be a '49 or '50 Cadillac steering box and complete column and wheel in my '29 Model A Tudor AV8. I have tried adjusting it to no avail. It has over a 1/4 turn of slop. I think it is a Saginaw box but don't really know. I want to keep this because this is what the original builder, Gordon, put in it in 1958. Here is a link to this build/rebuild.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-latest-acquisition-29-av8-tudor.1038493/

Any help is appreciated! Cadillac is so far off my line of knowledge I don't know where to look.

Thanks,
    Dave

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Anyone know who to talk to for this?

Dave

3. dwollam

dwollam

4. southerncad

southerncad

5. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

You could try this place they quoted me a price of $400 to rebuild my 48 Pontiac box which I think is close to what you have www.larescorp.com

6. Have you tried Cadillac Parts Ltd? 856-753-6788

They list a kit for $115

[​IMG]

You should call first to confirm. I've had great luck with them getting some hard to find Cad parts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. morac41

morac41

Hi ....Have you dissembled the steering box to see what is causing the problem..probally one of the bearings letting end play...equals free play.....I have a complete steering column out of a 49 Cad...but I in Australia...

m_IMG_4991.jpg

8. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for the replies guys! Steering box and column are still in the car and would be impossible to get a pic of it without removing it. Hard to drive it without one in there :) I realize it makes it tough to identify as well. I have adjusted and also removed a couple lower gasket/shims with no improvement.

Dave

9. dwollam

dwollam

OK! After many many hours searching the internet I have finally figured out what the steering box is! The box itself is a 1955-56 Dodge/Plymouth box, with a 1949-52 Plymouth pitman arm and the 1949-51 Cadillac column and steering wheel! At least now I have a direction to go to find parts or to have this box rebuilt! Gordon had said he thought the setup was Chrysler. Close but no cigar, actual Chrysler is different from Dodge/Plymouth in those years.

Dave