Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Solid core spark plug wires with HEI distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dak Rat, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I have a roll of 7MM solid core (metal) spark plug wire and I would like to use it on my Red Ram project. I am using a 318 HEI distributor. Will this combination work OK or am I asking for trouble? I'm not sure if the solid core wires will cause interference with the distributor. Thanks for your advice.

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I ran the Moroso solid core Blue Max wires for years with a GM Hei and it worked fine. GMC Bubba would be a good person to ask this question. Good Luck.

3. You might get lucky, but it is very common for the "noise" that comes from Solid core wires to shorten the life of the module.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Indeed. ^^^ Some electronic distributers are more sensitive to it than others.

Spiral wound wire is what I run.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I commonly run solid core wires with an MSD, but I trigger it with points and mount the MSD inside the car.
    I have a hall effect distributor in my truck, to be safe I used spiral wound wires on that. I mounted the MSD on the inner fender on that one, no concerns with noise. I cant help it, I still prefer solid core wires. Carbon core wires are total junk, I wont use THOSE on ANYTHING.

weps likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A question, are you planning on running the original plug wire covers?

7. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

No, I am not using the stock plug wire covers. I am using the 426 style rubber boots over the plug tubes.