Register now to get rid of these ads!

solenoid/cable help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smokindave, May 13, 2009.

1. smokindave

smokindave

I am trying to hook up the main battery cable to my solenoid on a 350, and due to the exhaust manifold and exhaust itself, I am having a hard time trying to keep the main cable from hitting the "r" terminal on the solenoid. If I move it away from the "r" terminal, then it is way too close to my exhaust manifold. The battery is trunk mounted and the cable is pretty heavy (2/0, it was free) and running along the frame rail up to the motor. Can somebody give me some suggestions on how to run it up to the solenoid or show me a picture of how you ran yours. Thanks in advance.

2. oj

oj

You can run your cable to a frame mounted terminal and from that run considerably smaller cable, just so long as it is a short run. Like 18" or so you could drop to a #2 and still have the reliability. Would that help?

3. phat rat

phat rat

Is the terminal able to be bent at a 90% angle? Also put an insulating wrap around the cable to protect it from the exhaust heat

4. RichG

RichG

I don't know if it would work, but what about those woven spark plug heat protectors they sell for race cars? Slide it over the cable and secure with stainless clamps maybe:D Just an idea.

5. smokindave

smokindave

That is what I was thinking, I was just not sure that would work. Should I run it to a Ford style solenoid and then to my starter or what?

6. Jettback50

Jettback50

You could do that or put a disconnect inline. They both give you the ability to mount the wires off to the starter off the car and connect them to the system after the starter is installed.