Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Solenoid 8CM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, Oct 16, 2021.

1. LongT

LongT

I have a '39 Ford converted to 12v with an 8CM engine. What starter solenoid do I need? I searched and since they all pretty much look the same, 4 terminals- 2 large for battery 2 small one for start one for coil, it is pretty confusing. Especially with limited data available from manufacturers. I'm looking at NAPA ECH ST80.
    Any 12v will do?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. v8flat44

v8flat44

Can't help, but post this on "The Ford Barn"...someone will know. Lots of flathead guys.

3. theboss20

theboss20

Yes, however there are some single activator small stud solenoids that have internal grounding and only need power to the one small stud as long as the solenoid is properly grounded.

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Be sure you buy the correct one for your vehicle needs.
    There are two types out there. One that grounds to activate and another requiring a hot wire.
    If the vehicle has a start button with one wire than it would be the grounding type.

6. What Pete said^^^^ are you still using positive ground? or did you convert to negative ground?

7. LongT

LongT

Neg ground.

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

Pos or neg ground does not matter. What pete said does matter read that post again. I use plain old original ford units with the button on them to activate it from under the hood. 6 volt units work just fine on 12 volts, but they must be mounted so that gravity helps pull the connection off, opposite of the photo above where the coil has to pull the connection up to disconnect. New 12 volt units with the button are available, I believe Cole Hersey makes them, some part numbers on an old thread at the barn

LongT likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can walk into any legit parts house with the
    Standard SS581T number and they can cross it if they don't already carry Standard Ignition products.

LongT likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. LongT

LongT

That's part of the problem there are a lot that look just like that. Apparently the difference is isolated or grounded case. That is grounded case.

Petejoe likes this.