Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sold the truck, bought a car ('53 Desoto)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 29, 2010.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Here ya go Mackster. I hope these were what you were lookin for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, my underside needs to be wiped:rolleyes:

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Love the James D rendering. Gonna be killer.

-Dave

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I found a replacement steering wheel. This ones out of a '57 Savoy. I'm also in the progress of re-doing my dash. The dash and steering wheel will be painted an off white with a metalic cobalt blue.

Looks like shit now.
    [​IMG]

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Quick update on the car. I've decided to shave the door handles, cuz I ain't payin' no $95 per handle for re-plating. I'll go with the simple "skeleton key" approach I found in another thread here on the HAMB.
    [​IMG]

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I got the dash done finally. Ain't she perty:)
    (sorry for the dark pics, I've for the glass all taped off for paint)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Lookin' great, keep up the good work. Now I gotta get around to getting my family hauler back on the road...

7. mackster

mackster

Dash looks dashing! really cool! keep going pal! you got this!!

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hey Mack, do you have a source for the small knobs for the shifter and turn signal lever? Just like the steering wheel, that ivory bakelite just falls apart more and more everytime I touch it.

9. BRENT

BRENT

WOW, your doing an awesome job man, love your work and your creativity.

Brent

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I installed 2 1/2" lowering blocks in the rear today. Made them myself from 2 1/2 square steel tubing I had here in stock. Quick trip down to the local spring shop for four new U-bolts (can you believe they only charged me $25???) The whole process took less than an hour to unbolt throw in the blocks and install the new U-bolts. I couldn't believe how easily everything came apart, and the coolest thing is that the lugnuts, shock bolts, and U-bolts all used the same 3/4" socket!

I took before and after pics, I'll post them tomorrow after I upload them onto my comp. Unfortunately my fears came true, my exhaust hits the axle now. INFACT, the car didnt really get the whole 2 1/2" lower because now all the weight of the car is resting on my pipes, that are resting ontop of the axle tube. Looks like I'll be ordering some mandrel bent 90*s

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Stock ride height minus 59 years of settling
    [​IMG]
    after 2 1/2" blocks installed
    [​IMG]
    I can't believe how fast the sun went down.

Again, this isn't sitting where it should. The car is still resting on the tail pipes. I have two new mandrel bent 90*s on the way now.

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I wanna drop the front just to the top of the whitewall. so not a whole lot, perhaps about 1.5 - 2 inches. The rear is going to come down a tad more, just not with blocks.

13. mackster

mackster

Hey, I dont have a source for the knobs. I am using a socal shifter know and a bare metal on the blinkers. I have seem some on Ebay but the prices are out of my range! In my car the engine is really low and i can only drop it three inches in the front and four in the back (i can go more in the back....)

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Did you have to shorten your driveshaft when you lowered your car? I went to change my pinion seal and noticed when the car is up in the air the driveshaft is bottomed out, so I am assuming when the car is on the ground it will want to be shorter yet.

I'll probably do a pocket drop in the front.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I dropped by the Stitch's today. Man I can't wait till these suckers are finished. Diamonds baby! Diamonds!
    [​IMG]
    Pearl naugahyde with midnight blue vynel. This is just the skin for the front seat base, still needs to be installed.

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I think I nailed it with the color choices. Couldn't have had a better match, if I don't say so myself:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

My newly restored steering wheel, all covered in bondo dust.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Time to get rid of the UGLY
    [​IMG]

18. ev88f

ev88f

oh man, that's gonna look killer all put together

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks Everette, I think that visor would've been too much. I'm glad its gonna get put to good use. I just noticed how similar our grill openings are, thats insane.

I've been struggling to get time to work on the car, I'm so damn close to getting this in paint its not even funny. I gotta stay on the upholsterers case so I can have my seats back by the time the cars together.

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Got my front seat today. Man, It's more comfortable than the sofa in my living room:D He says I need to break it in to get the fabrics to settle. Looks like I'll havta put some miles on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  21. Dman

Dman

The car is looking great. Thanks for keeping us updated. Keep them coming.

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks Dman. Not much to report other that slappin' on the mud, sanding it all off, slap on some more mud, take it off....

When I find the fucker that tapdanced on my roof I'm gonna kick his ass! I hate body work, if I ever get rich I'm gonna start farming it out.

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Finally! Some 2k HS primer shot on the car, half way there:rolleyes: Two coats took an entire gallon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

sweet car, love odd cars. it will be nice to see a 4dr saved, rather than turned into a parts car.

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

What do you mean "odd cars"? Ya know what the most common question I get asked is? "What kind of car is it?" I usually fire back with ''its a Desoto." 90% of the time they come back with "oh, who made Desotos?"

I also had somebody ask me how I got a Mercury grill to fit in my desoto...he was serious too!

Well I started block sanding with 220grit today. The 2k primer I bought was well worth the money, I'd definately buy it again. Got it from NAPA, its ACME 2k HS primer. I think my cost was around $90 a gallon.

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

27. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm having issues with my shift linkages. Does anyone here have experience with the M6 transmissions? For some reason I can not get it to go in forward gears, but will shift into reverse just fine...

29. Squablow

Squablow

The car looks nice, the Olds headlight rings work really well with that grille, and the Packard tail lights are a natural with the DeSoto bumper. Nice mild custom. Surprised not to see the skirts though, not finished yet, or?

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just finished putting it together earlier today. The skirts still need some tweaking, but I'll get them on soon. I'm just burnt out from all the sanding, and I want to drive the car. Man, I can't believe its memorial day weekend allready.

I'm still waiting on the rest of my interior. Also, almost all of my stainless trim is junk. The PO used stovebolts to hold it all on the car, he just drilled through the stainless and bolted it on. I've got a TIG welder, but I will need ALOT of practice before I can fix all that trim. Honestly, I think I would be better off finding another 53-54 Desoto