Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sold the truck, bought a car ('53 Desoto)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 29, 2010.

1. big bad john

big bad john

........Big back seat.......you could fit 3 or 4 baby seats in it....

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've always wanted to do it like they did in the old days. Heck, thats why were all here, right? A little extra work doest scare me. I really want that "miles deep" paint job, and a nice Royal Blue would be bitchin'

My father once told me "If your doing it and not gettng paid for it, its fun. Its not work unless you get paid"

3. Moondog13

Moondog13

I love me some 4 doors and that is one sexy bitch! Enjoy that Desoto, they're beautiful vehicles! Congrats! :D

4. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hell, you could practice making more babies back there too! :D

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just got off the phone with a Packard hoarder that lives 5 minutes from me. He told me that he has atleast two sets of '56 Clipper taillights!

MONDAY THEY WILL BE MINE!!! HAHAHA!!!

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Need to get up your way and take a look at your DeS. Take you for a ride in the 46 with warmed up 230 motor. Today woulda been a nice day for a ride, but no joy.

Sunday looks like it might be dry and chilly. Send me a PM with your particulars if you have time.

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

PM sent.

I've been trying to get something going for us NY guys.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511006

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Not much progress to report on. Here are the new plugwires from The Hot Rod Company, they really make the rest of the engine bay look sad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been doing real good on finding the "hard to find" parts lately. These weren't cheap, but they were local.
    Going from this...
    [​IMG]
    ...to this
    [​IMG]

Me and Rcranger went to a yard this morning, I came home with my new headlight bezels.
    From this...
    [​IMG]
    ...to this
    [​IMG]

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I also started to re-route my new fuel lines using the stock location using the factory clips. So far i put in 12feet of 1/4 line, and im only at the center of the drivers door! I still have to go all the way to the front x-member, across, then back to the fuel pump on the engine. Im thinking atleast another 8 - 10 feet of line.

I tell ya, i really havent even started yet, but i'm learning that customs can be ALOT more work than rods.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  11. fitzee

fitzee

I like where your going with this. The thing about 4 doors is they look the best with mild changes and slammed in the weeds. I`ll be watching this build.

12. Pitch the grille and give it to me...

rytang likes this.
  13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been thinking about this alot since i found my Packard taillights. If i do it right the rear bumper will flow with the tail lights perfectly, should be a damn near factory look.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I had to go back and rip out all that 1/4" fuel line. That was stupid, it came stock with 3/8". Eventually ide like to find a dual carb setup, and aint no way 1/4" line is going to feed two carbs....

16. James Curl

James Curl

Hot Rodders Bulletin board, build hot rod how to articles. Suspension up date for 37-57 Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac has an article on up dating the early suspensions to ball joint with late model spindles, disc brakes. The early B.P.O. car front suspension is very much like the 46-54 MoPar front suspension. You might look at the article where they modified the front suspension to accept the later spindles and lowered the car in the process. Also there was a Tech article here on the H.A.M.B. where they Z'ed the lower A arms to raise the trunnion pivot to lower the front without using raised up rights/dropped spindles. You might do a search for it and see if you can find it. Both ways look to be cheaper than using your old spindles with raised uprights and then buying a disc brake kit to get good brakes. Suggest you visit P-15/D-24 Forum and do a search on brake adjustment for your stock brakes.

17. Dman

Dman

Keep us updated on your progress.

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Dont worry what others say abotu 4 doors. You'll be surprised how many people will love it; 4 doors or not :)

I think its one badass ride. I actually like the 4 doors on it. I personally think it compliments this car.

I think you'll find that you'll really like the 4 door. lots of room for you, the wife, the kid and a few extra friends. Its a win-win situation and you can take it on long drives and have plenty of room to put the supplies without being cramped in.

Our Plym 4 door grenaded a piston 5 hours after we brought her home. Still no sign of how that occured. fixed her up, put a new coil and battery in her, changed the oil, cleaned the gas tank and she runs like a gem. Ours was running like complete crap for a long while and we firs thought it was bad gas, something in the gas tank, etc. but turned out to be electrical and the coil was cooked. She's spitter and spatter, wouldnt go, stop dead and die when you tried to pull away from a stop light, etc.

I think its a great looking car and i think it'll look great when its done. I wouldnt suicide the doors. we shaved the door handles on ours and it looks great just like that. i think if you were to shave the door handles and suicide the doors it wouldnt really compliment them both.

good luck with it and have a lot of fun!

19. ...check out the latest issue of HOT ROD mag.!

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'll definitely check that out.
    -this is what i was thinking about doing in the front, check post #18 in this thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398148&highlight=1953+desoto

21. ghille45

ghille45

I'm digging the hood! sick!!!

22. ratcaddy65

ratcaddy65

in my opinion they rock i put a built 350 and bags and drive the hell out of it it doesnt have the red wheels anymore those were just temp use

Attached Files:

23. Hot Rod Trash

Hot Rod Trash

I remember seein that car in craiglist awhile ago. Its great that ya bought it. Hope ya enjoy it.

24. ratcaddy65

ratcaddy65

yea i traded for it that pic is right after i put the motor in it looks diffrent now im still taking the cheese off like lost the side trim no more red wheels or flame throwers and put a good bag setup front and back on it right now is all sanded down i cant decide on a color im gonna paint as soon as i french the front lights and fix the skirts that somebody screwed on

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I woke up yesterday and realized that summer is coming fast, and i dont have a drivable HAMB friendly vehicle! Better get my act togeather.

Here she is today, first time out of storage since fall.
    [​IMG]

It made it from one shop to the other under its own power. I couldn't believe how easily she fired up. Luckily the PO left the snowtires in the trunk.:D

[​IMG]

The car still has no brakes. I've been turning off the engine and letting the tranny do the stopping. I left it in low when i got out, but she didnt stay. So i jumped in, and in a panic I pulled the parking brake. Remarkebly the parking brake works! Which is more than i can say for any other car I own...

26. 76cam

76cam

Man good luck with this I think its gonna turn out nicely!!!!!!!

27. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

rytang likes this.
  28. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Hell I'd sell the grille and get a quarter of your money back and do a custom grille for cheap! Love the ideas and everything. Keep us updated.

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Why does everyone want me to sell my grill???

30. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Why? Cause DeSotos just look funny with a Merc grille...

rytang likes this.