Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sold my porsche to buy a 35 ford. Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irondoctor, Jan 13, 2008.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

In an effort to afford a 1935-36 ford I sold my 1959 356 Porsche. Now I am having a huge amount of sellers remorse. I figured if I turned to the HAMB for support you could pull me thru. Did I do the right thing? I have to admit my wife strongly influenced me to sell and looking back it all happened so fast.
    What a bummer

2. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

3. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I 2nd that...

4. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Don't shoot me, but you might be able to soften the blow with a 356 replica just to tool around with... I hear they're pretty cheap.

5. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

depends on what condition both were in i guess, but i would rather have a 35' ford over a porsche any day

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

we will need pics of both to make a final decision, I'm afraid...

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Oh no! I would rather have the Porsche.

8. Some House's Don't Need Porches
    But A Patio Or Small Deck Will Do Just Fine...
    If She Complains About Your Small Deck ..
    Tell Her It Makes You Happy..

P.s. Engine In Front =less Pain In Ass

9. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

I sold a pretty nice 944 turbo to get my plymouth. I don't regret a thing...even though I only drove the Plymouth one time before I started cutting it up.

10. Stache

Stache

Kinda crazy in 1978 I sold my 35 five window and bought a 59 365A . Can't go wrong on either car . Now both are gone and I wish I had the 35 back. Out of all the cars I still look for that one to return. Who knows , what ever makes ya happy.

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Well your talking about two of my favorite body styles. They are worlds apart for sure but both very cool and desirable in there own way.

Like has been stated, condition of both would be a consideration.

It's the old apples and oranges thing, do you want to go fast in a straight line or around corners lol.

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You did good. I used to be a porsche guy. Then I saw the light...

(although a '59 356 looks pretty good...)

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The only real solution - one of each ...

14. Kinda like women, love the one you have, miss about the one you had.
    What ever you do, don't tell my wife I said that.
    By the way, I don't condsider a 944 a Porsche.
    I loved my 64 356 Cabriolet, I drove all day like a race car driver and nobody knew.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If it was a good Porsche and you bought a semi-original '35 Ford, you'll only be happy if you're a masochist. If it's a well-done, fresh '35, you'll get over the transition.

At the risk of losing all credibility in this group, I think many imports put the majority of American cars to shame in handling, drivability, and comfort. I think Porsches are among the best; I would love to own one, but nice ones are just too expensive to fit high on my priority list.

I've owned eight pre-'60 Fords, a lot of later American iron, and about a dozen imports. Prewar Fords are acceptable transportation for me because I've been driving them for 50ish years, but even an early VW beetle is in many ways a better car. I love the looks of the early Fords, and I will probably own another one or two before I'm done, but they're pretty primitive cars.

I agree with the others that commenting on your situation requires more detail. What was your 356 like? What is your '35 like (i.e. restored, traditional hot rod, or modern street rod)? Whatever the answer, there's hope for you, but your car may require some further development to become what suits you.

Of course the best solution is to have both.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I've had a couple of older 911's in the past and they are cool cars. I understand where you are at. But, honestly, its done, don't worry about it. Changes are good. Enjoy the '35 as much as you can, do and learn some new things, keep it positive and good things will happen. 356's aren't exactly that hard to come by. You can always get another in the future if you want. Good luck and have fun!

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i think you messed up....i'd much rather have the 356 :)

18. The real difference between owning a Porsche and owning a Hotrod comes down to this. With a Porsche, you constantly have people crawling up your ass with a microscope, criticizing your car for not having the original air in the tires, non-factory bugs on the windshield, etc, etc. With a hotrod, you can pretty much do whatever you want to, and build it any way you desire. That is pretty much why I sold my high-dollar muscle car and bought a jalopy project. I quit having fun with unsolicited advice on what to do with my own car. The final straw was when a fellow club member told me that he purchased an entire second car, just so that whenever he needed a nut or bolt, he could pull an original replacement off of his "donor" vehicle. That's nuts. I'm having much more fun now, and the project vehicle ain't even done yet. Ya done good, welcome to the dark side!

19. Sorry, but I would rather have the 356 Porsche. I would have kept it.

CBB

20. 1935-36 Ford...... NOT the same. Roadster, Coupe, Tudor, Fordor?

Sounds like you haven't bought the Ford yet. It isn't too late to make this a good deal. If you haven't bought yet, the ball is in your court. Knock a home run or loose your ass. It's up to you.

Where did I see that $34K, '36 3wd advertised the other day? It was a NC or VA car. An old, blue car. It may have been here in the classifieds or on EBay. I'd be hunting that car if I had just sold my 356.

JH

21. 944's and 911's ain't 356's,,,yaeh,,they are probably faster but not nearly as pleasing to the eye,,,,

I gotta say I love the 356,,,my big arse won't fit too well but I still like them.

I hope you are able to buy a very nice 38-36. HRP

22. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

I would have kept the Porsche. Sorry...

23. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

As Roy Brizio says, "When you see a Porsche or some other exotic car, you think, there goes a rich dude. When you see a guy driving a hotrod, you say, 'Hey, cool car'".

24. chopped

chopped

I traded a Vette worth about 3X what the 36 Chevy I got was worth. And I've had 10X the fun with the 36. So it all depends on what your looking for.

25. belair

belair

I would say quit lookin over your shoulder and get to work on your HOT ROD!!!

26. KATFISH

KATFISH

27. bonesy

bonesy

The best part of it, after owning the '35 for a while - if you decide your a 356 man. Sell the Ford and find another Porsche.

28. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

There are some guys with small decks that get along just fine :)
    So I'm told. I wouldn't know myself of course;)

29. redoxide

redoxide

The porsche is for hairdressers and folks with poodles...keep the 35 and by a rotweiler

30. R Pope

R Pope

Every Porsche is the same as another one, old Fords can be made into anything you want. Just depends on what you want!