Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Softening the ride on a straight axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I bought the whole setup from CE, but it sat pretty high. I still have the spring on the shelf.

2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Like Pete said, I prefer to use Ford springs whenever I can. I usually end up with about 8 leafs in the front of the fat fendered Fords.

Detonator and olscrounger like this.
  3. When you put the spring on the shackles and perches and mounted to the bones - could you do all that easily by hand without spreading/flattening the spring?

Was there any info with either spring that stated what the perch centers should be? If so are you close?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. What "ford" spring would you use on an aftermarket narrow axle with spring in front and split bones that were then bent for parallel alignment?

At a minimum you'd need a correct length main leaf custom made and a shorter second leaf then you could use factory ford leaves.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  5. Chris, I'm betting that you are creating a binding situation with the sway bar on the front. Take a few minutes and remove the links on it and take it for a short ride and see if there is a different feel to it. The Posies springs that I have used have always rode nicely, but they are a lot flatter than the CE spring that the sway bar was designed to be used with.

If that makes the ride better, then you will more than likely need to shorten the sway bar links, so that the sway bar is more parallel to the ground, and reinstall them.

Tim likes this.
  6. Also, I can't remember if you are running bump stops, but I had to remove the stock ones on my 40s and on the 37 sedan that I had.

Tim likes this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Seems you answered your own question. when I need a modified spring, I have the main leaf shortened (rerolled) & I shorten the second leaf. If I want a reversed eye, I flip the main leaf over & re-arch it.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2-do the same

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. ....................Never even dawned on me that you could do that. That's why I love this place, learn something new every day...........Thanks.

Roothawg and Max Gearhead like this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

...This is why Pete Eastwood is one of the hot rod gods...not just because he has an awesome name. ;)

11. Gas filled shocks do make a difference.

12. Totally agree... on my '35 I'm running stretched '35 axle, flipped and re-arched stock mainleaf, and an un-split wishbone (283 SBC and '39 trans). BUT... I'm considering adding a CE Front Sway Bar (SB3536F) and/or a Pete & Jakes Panhard Bar (1015).

Just wondering what your experiences are with front Sway and Panhard bars?

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Someone mentioned to me the other day that the sway bar bolts look too long. Do they need to be parallel to the ground instead of running uphill like mine?

EDIT### Sorry Bret, I thought that was on a text you sent me, didn't realize it was right above.:eek:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother called them "Super Sag".

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "arms" should be close to parallel to the ground. You may be introducing some bind with this configuration. easy enough to fix.

scrapiron and bchrismer like this.
  16. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

The CE sway bar works really well on my '37.

17. skylarkman2

skylarkman2

Pete, I am building a 46 tudor. It sits too high. I think my simplest route is to reverse the eye, remove one intermediate, and one short leaf, and possibly lengthen the shackles. You make "re-arching" sound so simple.
    Who does this and what are the costs? I have already used the poly spring liners.
    I know that Posies makes a super slider, but I would like to use what I already have.
    thanks, dave-TX

18. Not quite as easy as falling off a log, buy it's pretty close if you have a press. Then you don't have to make one from a bottle jack

19. So Chris, did ya ever take that sway bar loose and take it for a spin? I can't remember if you are running bump stops, but if so, you may wanna pull those out and see if that helps too. You can always either shorten them or buy shorter ones to replace them.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, I have been consumed with life right now. I am taking a few days off over Memorial day. Maybe, I can get something done then.

21. flatjack

flatjack

The spring eyes can be reversed at any good sheet metal shop with a set of rollers. Mark the arch on the floor and run through the rollers until you get the opposite arch desired.

clem likes this.
  22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yep, I'm betting that Posie spring dropped the front beyond the travel of the swaybar.

Easy fix to shorten the links.

Rich

bchrismer and Roothawg like this.
  23. clem

clem

Several threads on here about re-arching/reversing springs on here.
    But post 51 would be a better suggestion.

lothiandon1940 likes this.