Register now to get rid of these ads!

soda blaster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zgears, Dec 22, 2011.

1. zgears

zgears

What's the difference between a soda blaster and a pressure sand blaster. soda blaster seems to have a different configuration. I did just get finished doing some soda blasting with a siphon blaster, it worked ok. just wondering whats so special about the pressure unit.

2. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

From my understanding a Soda Blaster used a combination of baking soda type material, water, and air to remove paint/ etc. . A pressure sand blaster uses high pressure air and sand media to remove paint/ etc. . Soda blasters don't effect glass, stainless, chrome, or body filler. Sand blasters remove everything including any exposed skin (don't ask)

3. blt2go

blt2go

my soda blast pot has air input to pressurize the tank and also blows air up the "siphon" tube. kinda double action that way to help lift the soda since it does clump more than sand. i believe this also helps to fine tune the soda to air ratios.

cool breeze is right. soda blasting can be done with the introduction of water at the nozzle head. this cuts down on dust.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. smoked72

smoked72
    from Motor City

There are different grades of soda from fine to more harsh as well. We have one at work and it is awesome. The pressue pot makes it more effective at high pressures is the answer to your question I believe.

5. JEM

JEM

Anyone got a recommendation on a good cheap soda blaster capable of doing reasonably large panels?

6. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

7. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I bought the eastwood soda blaster and have NOT been happy with it. Converted to
    a sand blaster and it's ok for that.
    I don't think the HF one would be any better.

8. restojon

restojon

We have a soda blaster at my restoration shop. I am pretty fanatic about this topic as many "bad" rumors float around because of mis-information, ignorance or whatever you want to call it. Soda is awsome. doesnt' harm chrome, glass, stainless, brass, or rubber. The machine is different than a sand blaster in that it uses 6 times less media but works as fast or faster. NEVER SAND BLAST SHEETMETAL!!! No exceptions to this rule. It leaves small hills and valleys that can not be removed, store moisture and will cause paint failures. Plus it thins the metal too much and ruins the panel. Let me know if you want any more specifics and I will chime back in.

9. George G

George G

Thanks for the info. I had some soda blasting done on my a roadster. Did'nt do that good on rust.