Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Social distance drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Bugguts

Bugguts

Took the wife and 29 out last Sunday afternoon. Beautiful day for a drive and nice to get out of the house.
    Drove it 200 miles to the farm on Tuesday. 80 fantastic degrees and sunny.
    Trying to use some of that cheap gas! 20200405_160505.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. * COVID

3. Very nice, especially the top.

4. The original poster went around the block. Others are going on long drives?

5. Didn’t see that
    Came from a FB site

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Therapy is essential

Hombre, Deuces, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  8. That Model A is absolutely beautiful and sits perfectly. HRP

[​IMG]

9. Folks that clean up after a murder:D

10. Hombre and Deuces like this.
  11. Sam, my oldest son suggested we drive about 100 miles today considering what we would have normally been doing... :cool:

But, we worked on his pu yesterday and then cleaned out the garage today instead. At least we are making progress on stuff.

Missed seeing you this weekend.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Hombre, Deuces, MO_JUNK and 1 other person like this.
  12. I've been taking my '57 out occasionally, but keeping within the borders. I'm really missing my long road trips to Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado but especially missing shows and cruise ins where I can bs with similar minded guys. got gloves, masks and wipes in all the cars. Pics are in the Palo Duro Canyon area about 80 miles south of Amarillo last week. Most states have asked tourists and second home owners to stay away, so I don't think it would be too cool to be driving around the mentioned states in a car with Texas plates. One Texas Panhandle county that went on stay-at-home said "that doesn't actually mean you have to stay at home.....you can go for a walk or GO FOR A DRIVE".....it's all about social distancing.
    IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2252.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  13. Garpo

Garpo

We live in different worlds.
    In this part of the world, lock down means stay home. Only go out for supermarket or medical - they are the only ones open anyway. No bars restaurants or takeaways. Most are off work.
    A few caught sneaking away to holiday homes for Easter were turned back by the police.
    The up side is that NZ's response seems to be working, with only 19 new cases reported today.
    With luck the Headmistress will ease up on the rules soon.
    Lots of garage time but looking forward to taking the flattie for a drive.

Ranchero59, Hombre, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Thats the same as in uk,got really bad car show and cruising withdrawal symptoms especially as the sun is shining and nowhere to go but as you say plenty more garage time!! Cannot get much here at all though,even queue for supermarkets is about an hour to get in,living from fuel stations and post office at the moment,an hour in the queue is an hour less work on the car

Hombre, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Wife and I just went over and his easter eggs for the grandkids( like we've done for 16 years ) got back in the car ,drove around the block , stood across the street and watched em hunt , sure was nice to get away from home ! With copd and heart failure .I'm kept locked in the house otherwise ....

Hombre, Deuces, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  16. So far in NY we can go anywhere we choose. Today marks 4 weeks since I have been in a big store, I shop at smaller markets, get in & out. Sunday worked on the Ford a bit and took a drive for an hour, lots of cars down at the beaches but I didn't stop. Saw some robins and deer by the Ocean Parkway and other beach roads. The car is running good and it needed to get out too.

Hombre, Deuces and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Taking every opportunity I can to drive my pu during this time even if it is just to go to the store, etc. Pretty sure I have driven it about every day for the last few weeks at least a few miles a day. I need to get some junk out of the way so I can get my Ford out too and stretch its legs.

Hombre and Deuces like this.
  18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Jeff, we've been staying home. We make a weekly trip into town for essentials and to our post office box. We were able to live stream our church's Easter service. I missed visiting with all of you on the Hot Rod Hundred as well. The redbud and dogwood trees are especially pretty this year(maybe I'm just paying more attention). It would have been a great run. Stay safe. Sam

Hombre, Deuces, nochop and 1 other person like this.
  19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Texas 57, glad you are getting out a little bit. It was great to visit with you in the parking lot at the Starbird show. Stay safe. Sam

Hombre, Deuces, nochop and 1 other person like this.
  20. Texas57 likes this.
  21. impala4speed and nochop like this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

How so? If I hop in my car and take it for a drive and then go home, in what way is someone else's health at risk? Not understanding the logic of your statement.

Bugguts, Hombre, 53 effie and 5 others like this.
  23. * You might be exposed to the virus.
    * You might be carrying the virus.
    * If something goes wrong, others may have to help you (tow, ambulance, hospital). In addition to the above, this would burden the already overburdened systems.

Even if your state and/or county isn't on lockdown, it just seems like the better choice.

impala4speed, abe lugo and nochop like this.
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t judge me.... 64C83907-8FEE-41EC-AE5F-FE728C6E2342.jpeg

alfin32, Hombre, OLDSMAN and 2 others like this.
  25. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

did a couple 5 mile rides to get rid of cob webs. took two cars to my Mother in laws nursing home for parade with 75 cars. on Easter I think that was worth it. residence watched from rooms and patios. they loved it Bosses say it really boosted the nurses and staff a lot

26. Agreed

1A20BEA2-CAE3-4718-B222-F92E8BBBAA55.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Hombre, MO_JUNK and nochop like this.
  27. chucka

chucka

Boy, talk about West Coast - - - don't you know anything? That's my friend Alex's car in a Rod Serling movie!

nochop likes this.
  28. olds vroom

olds vroom

NO we in New York can’t go anywhere we want !!!! We are under state of emergency...... only necessary travel!!!!! Also if you crash your car your insurance doesn’t have to cover it if you are driving under a state of emergency!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

abe lugo and nochop like this.
  29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Our Governor is pushing the distancing, has closed non-essential businesses, malls, state parks and giving daily updates. All her decisions are based on metrics of hospital numbers. We are a very rural state with a lot of manufacturing industry. Social distancing is generally not a problem around here. Shelter in place isn't realistic here because of the high percentage of manufacturing making PPE and agriculture. She's being realistic so far.

We take a ride every weekend. Don't stop anywhere, don't get out. Might do a drive thru to get some lunch to eat while we drive. We've driven every road in all the local state and county parks. We've checked on the flooding on the Mississippi, driven thru all the little towns within about 75 miles of here looking at back fences and inside open garage doors. Found a few projects that look interesting and making notes so I can go back once this is over. I take a couple rides a week by myself to cover more little towns. No interaction with anyone. It's good to get fresh air, see the scenery and shop for projects.

SPark

Bugguts, Hombre, 53 effie and 7 others like this.
  30. Going for a drive doesn't mean we're subjecting ourselves or others to exposure. We can still practice social distancing, unless, as you stated something goes wrong. As for "overburdened systems", for sure in some areas like NY, Ca, New Orleans, etc., and I'd have to totally agree with you. In my area, which is a medical center for hundreds of miles around, we have a total of 29 people being hospitalized for the virus. The rest are home quaranteened. Combine that 29 with all the elective medical proceedures that have been put on hold, I hardly think the local hospitals here are overburdened at this point. That could and probably will change before long, then I'll reconsider my drives out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. Besides, it's 30 degrees and snowing. I haven't left the house for 3 days for anything.
    I wish we had spellcheck.

Hombre, OLDSMAN, MO_JUNK and 2 others like this.