Register now to get rid of these ads!

SoCal oldtimers, anyone recognize this Henry J?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 440Dave, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Hi guys, my first post but I've been dropping in for a while. Yesterday I aquired this 51 Henry J drag car. It was bought in the early 80s in Lancaster where it had already been in storage for several years. It has a late 60s/early 70s style pearl laquer paint job, with a previous paint job starting to show through from underneath. The guy I bought it from knows little about it, and just had it sitting in his barn since about 1982. The stickers on it appear to be from the mid 70s, so I'm guessing that was when it was last raced. I'm curious about the cars history, previous owners etc and would love to see some old photos if any exist. There is one sticker from Active Transmission in Ontario ca, and a sign shop sponsor.

Attached Files:

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

try calling the tranny shop and see if they know anything??

I found it listed in ontario still:

Advanced Transmissions

1156 W Holt Blvd, Ontario, CA 91762 <small>Map</small>
    909 984-3418

3. Wow dude - Hell of a 1st post! I hope you resist te urge to paint it. Cool.

4. Great find get it together and take it to the drags.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Needs to come back into my garage.....very cool.

6. Check out http://www.henryjcars.com/ A ton of HJ historical pix current rides and projects. Look in the Misc section for old pix. Check out Hairy Cherry in under construction to see my $500 HJ.

7. My wife actually found it on HenryJcars.com and it was not far from home. We took our flamed 60 Ventura to race at the Oldtimers drags at Mission this summer, she saw a couple Henrys and thought they were pretty cool. At her suggestion I've mothballed my 70 Cuda racecar project for this one. Did I marry the right girl or what?
    The guy I bought it from is kind of a nut, but in the best way, very interesting. He has one more Henry J, but his current project is something I could only classify as a "Monster rod". A 20 foot long single seater bodyless open roadster with semi truck wheels, an 8-link rearend, and powered by a 12 cyl all aluminum Kermath marine engine on which he's fabbed a giant twin turbo system, he estimates about 1600 hp. Here's a couple pics, as well as a pic of our 60 Ventura.

Attached Files:

8. Just what the world needs....another Blastoline copy cat monster.

Henry-J's pretty cool. Looks like it may have one of my old 1-piece fiberglass front ends from Ai Fiberglass.

9. Still looking for info, this is one fast moving board! Maybe if I BTT it.... I'm gonna call the tranny shop today and see if there's anyone who's worked there for 30 years who might recall.

10. Sweet score can't wait to see that one finished want to sell it let me know

11. One more try, just on the off chance there might be some info to be had...

12. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Can you get some more pics of the chassis? Looks like an Alston from decal and general look of it.

13. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Four words.........

Leave

the

paint

ALONE!!!

Hell yeah man that's the stuff right there. Love a henry J.

1shot

14. Hey someone on Moparts.com had this pic, does this jog anyone's memory? Anyone know who Wayne Moore is?

Attached Files: