Register now to get rid of these ads!

SoCal Caddy Sportscar

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by c322348, Oct 15, 2008.

1. c322348

c322348

Hi! I joined this board primarily to find parts to complete the restoration of my car and maybe sell any extra stuff I have left over.

My car is a 1957 Allied Falcon coupe, basically a 1950s version of a kit car, a sports car special. It features a fiberglass body sitting atop a shortened 1950 Ford chassis and was originally powered by a 1953 331 inch Cadillac engine with a LaSalle 3 speed manual transmission. The car was built by a dentist by the name of Stanley Richards of Evanston, Illinois (a suburb just north of Chicago), with most of the fabrication performed by Ullrich Automotive, also in Evanston.

I still have the custom fabricated intake manifolds with the original 4 side-draft carbs which I will use with the overhauled engine.

Here are a few photos of the car as it was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I'm now in the parts gathering mode so I can start the restoration in earnest.

I'd be curious to know if you see any other similar (fiberglass bodied) cars. I know there was one featured recently in Hot Rod Magazine.

Thanks!

Brandon

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I wish every intro was so cool!

Welcome. Where's the rest of your shopping list?!
    (now I'll step aside for all the real history buffs)

3. c322348

c322348

Hey, thanks for that! I think what is really unusual is the documentation for a mid-1950s built hot rod. I have most of the correspondence from the purchase of the body in Los Angeles to the invoices from Ullrich Automotive.

My dad saw the car at the show the Evanston Review article covered. The owner sold it to a neighbor when he developed health problems and then my dad bought it in early 1961 when the second owner sold it. My dad liked the car so much he had clipped the Review article and saved it, only to buy the car of his dreams a few years later. He raced it on track days at some of the Chicago area sports car tracks and drove it almost daily until 1971 (my mom had the '63 Vette roadster). So I guess you could say I spent my childhood riding in V-8 powered sports cars. I sat on the pad behind the shifter on the console of the Vette until I was 11 years old (in 1973) when my parents bought a Vega, but still remember riding in the Allied which by then had a 1961 Vette engine installed.

Once I get more into the car I'm sure the shopping list will grow! :eek:

Thanks again,

Brandon

4. GaryM

GaryM

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

There's a guy on here that was fortunate enough to be good friends with the Ullrich's. His name is Bluto. PM him. I am sure he'd be interested in this subject.

Cool car. Welcome to the HAMB.

Cris

6. c322348

c322348

Thanks. I've seen those. They adapt to a modern transmission. I am looking to adapt from my 1960 vintage 390 to a Lasalle trans.

7. c322348

c322348

Done! Sent Bluto a PM. Thanks!!!!!

8. c322348

c322348

[​IMG]

Here's the chassis as of last Saturday. Wheels need to be refurbished yet but it rolls, stops and steers. All the chassis and suspension components have been powder coated semi-gloss black.

Engine has been overhauled and next things to do are replacing the firewall, pulling apart and inspecting the LaSalle trans, getting the clutch sorted and putting all that into/onto the chassis.

9. Hello And Welcome To The H.A.M.B. Enjoy Your Ride!!!

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

11. c322348

c322348

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Why yes, I think that should do it!!! Neat stuff. Gary

c322348 likes this.
  13. c322348

c322348

Cleaned and repainted the 1950s vintage Dayton wire wheels. Tires are Firestone branded Coker tires in 6.70x15 except for the one in the middle which is the original Montgomery Wards Riverside Air Cushion spare.

Tire store didn’t really want to mount the tires because they had no experience with tubes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.