Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Soaking old gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36roadster, Jul 29, 2021.

1. I bought some NOS gaskets and in there were some early cork-only gaskets for sideplates, valve covers, etc. They are very brittle , but I remember something about soaking these old ones in water, letting them expand, and then installing them while expanded. Anyone done this with success?

2. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

you can but only for a few hours and put on while expanded

302GMC likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^
    Years ago I threw a 30 yr old GMC valve cover gasket in the hot tank & went to lunch.
    When I got back, I could have used it on a 320'' Buick !

4. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Hi
    We got some gaskets from England still in package but not airtight and this worked . Soaked for about 2 in plain warm water . Warm water seemed to be the trick and only leaving in long enough to be firm and flexible . Then we put them in rags to soak up excess moisture and installed them damp . Only took them to about 2/3 recommended torque , let them dry overnite , removed them and dressed them in sealant for final assembly then of course torqued to recommended rating . These gaskets were for an old Rolls Royce notorious for leaking oil and not a leak and next 5 years I know of kept sealed like a charm

loudbang likes this.

5. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

That's 2 hours for soaking