Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, where DOES stuff go in the garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 2, 2021.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That's progress !

2. finn

finn

Some days the magnet on a stick is my most frequently used tool.

ekimneirbo, 210superair and Cosmo49 like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"If it was up your ass you'd know where it is, you dumb ass"!!! You'll hear me saying that to myself after a few minutes of fruitless searching.
    I consider tape measures, caulk guns, 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" and 10, 11, 12mm sockets and wrenches as "consumables", same as sandpaper and grinding discs. I probably have a half dozen of each in my tool chest and just go get another one to keep my momentum going on a task. I buy them any time I see them at a garage sale or swap meet to stay ahead of the attrition.

I have (had) a really nice 34 Ford closed car chrome windshield frame complete with glass.......somewhere. It was leaning against the garage wall behind the standup drill press. Couple years ago, I thought I'd better do myself a favor and get it out of harms way. Wrapped it up with cardboard and duct tape and put it away somewhere real safe where it wouldn't get broken. So freakin safe I can't find it. Haven't seen it since. Looked multiple times in the garage rafters, under workbenches, even under all the beds in the house. It's MIA.
    Lost tools apply to the yard too. I've got a good sized parcel with a big spread out yard. Same as common hand tools, I have multiples of yard tools (shovels, rakes, etc) spread out all over. I try to "park" them in a couple of central places but sometimes they get left where I'm working when I take a break or call it quits for the day. Tore up the riding mower pretty good when I mowed over a heavy rake hiding in the tall stuff, so I "idiot proofed" all the yard tools by marking them with fluorescent orange spray paint (ala Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna). It shows well in greenery or earth toned dirt/brush. Everything gets it, loppers, axe, wood splitting wedge, fence stretcher, etc.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    flynbrian48 and alanp561 like this.
  4. finn

finn

When the kids still lived at home, it was a spring ritual to comb the lawn along side of the driveway to recover the tools they “borrowed “ and neglected to return to the toolbox.

210superair likes this.
  5. cfmvw

cfmvw

My garage is proof that black holes exist, and I don't even have a lot of stuff!

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

i would blame the better half for stealing my tools, but she has me do anything that requires a tool. Besides she has
    her own tool box that her father bought her when she bought her house and she always knows where her tape measure is. I have at least one tape measure in each truck plus 4 in the garage, never have to look for one for more than an hour.

lake_harley and alanp561 like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well that explains it. I caught it from you….

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

How the he double hockey sticks you guys know I lost my 10mm long socket?!

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

Milo took it

In our house we blame Marvin

10. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I spend half my time looking for stuff I just set down somewhere and the other half picking up things I've dropped.

rockable, WalkerMD, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have been helping a buddy with his build, and his shop is a unorganized mess ( parts new and used, household items and junk all over) and I don’t know his tool boxes. That got me thinking I am not much better, so I got busy for 4 days adding more tool storage cleaning and organizing parts and tools and getting rid of carp. So far it been a dream to work in my “new” garage.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. I lost my 10 mm socket, but found another one i lost a while back. About a month later a customer brought his Dodge van in for oil change after he got back from down South he said it was about a 2800 mile trip. I go to lift the hood and their was my 10 mm socket on one of the grille bolts . How it stayed on was beyond me , it got to places I've never been !

WalkerMD, Bandit Billy and Budget36 like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have to buy another part to find the one I lost.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  14. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I was thrashing to finish my O/T Oldsmobile for a show I wanted to attend with some friends. A couple buddies showed up to help me to the finish line. I was using my FAVORITE pair of angle dykes to cut wire ties on a wiring harness. After the fur was flying and things settled down I was putting tools away and could not find those dykes I looked for weeks finally I went to my travel tool box and took the ones from there and put them in the garage tool box. Then I was cleaning up the shop and found a box with all the cut wire and wire tie remnants in it luckily I was looking closely for something else when I seen the red handles of my long lost dykes! Good day indeed. Joe

alanp561 likes this.
  15. A few years ago, I was taking out the dash of a 32 roadster, also had taken out the seat for access. Went to re install a week later and looked for over an hour for my 1/4 drive set of small sockets. Not to be found. Off to the supply shack buy a whole new set,($100 ) a week later I lift the seat up to reinstall and by god there is the 1st set under it. Oh well ya can't have to many sets of 1/4 drive sockets

ekimneirbo, rockable and alanp561 like this.
  16. Moselli

Moselli

My friend Kenny says that every time he drops a wrench on the floor of his shop and reaches down to pick it up, he comes up with a different size wrench. This even happens with adjustable wrenches. Go figure?

Hank37, WalkerMD and Budget36 like this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Actually, I've had the exact opposite experience. The "good" ones I bought pull out just fine, then for some inexplicable reason they don't want to roll back in. Tried squirting some WD 40 in a couple of them but basically they were junk. On the other hand I think I only had 1 Harbor Freight fail. Feels a lot better to toss a free one than a $15/$20 dollar one. I usually grab a HF one from my stash first. I really hate saying that, but thats been my experience.:)

WalkerMD and alanp561 like this.
  18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Do you have a blast cabinet? Look there. I was helping a friend restore an OT F-body and spent a couple of hours looking for a part. No luck. Found one on eBay & ordered it....found the missing part in the bast cabinet within ½ hour....:oops:

Same car was disassembled 7 years prior....cannot find the HOOD. Now the running joke is if we can't find something: "It must be with the hood...."

Last one: Spent a lot of time walking looking around the shop for parts, so I made the comment --> "I have more steps today walking around in this shop looking for parts than I had at the last Pomona Swapmeet..."

19. yup.....same ol' story...i done all of this stuff you guys are talking about and as a result I ain't lost nothin' in a long time. I had to get a replacement socket for one I apparently misplaced about an hour ago, and just got back from the store.....I can't find the one I just bought but I'm pretty sure it's out in the truck.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm on my way to the hardware store to get a turnbuckle to make an adjustment arm out of, because I can't find that damned original one anywhere. Or the pushrod for the master cylinder. I think I'll get a little clevis and make one of those too. Then I'll be sure to find the missing parts.
    My dad painted all is axe handles, shovel handles, and other bits orange too. I once mowed up a big pair of pruning shears that my wife left in the yard, but I've never hit a rake.
    Yet...

oldsjoe and millersgarage like this.
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Dropped my tap and die set off the bench and lost about pieces,no way was I going to look through all the junk so I replaced the missing items. They eventually came out of hiding and now I have extras.

22. Budget36

Budget36

Ya have to admit though, finding a part or tool weeks, months and sometimes years later is like finding money in the laundry you didn’t know you had in your pocket:)

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

What frustrates me is my extraordinary ability to look right at something and not see it.

hotrodA, oldsjoe, ekimneirbo and 10 others like this.
  24. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

The thing with me is at work my toolbox is perfectly organized, tools get put back were they belong ect. At home is a different story entirely. Wish somebody would pay me to work on my own crap.

winduptoy likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

That’s why we stare at the wall when in front of a urinal;)

Jessie J., alanp561, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  26. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Yep, gravity is constantly torturing me in my "golden years"

tguptill likes this.
  27. When I was younger we had a dog we called nuts and bolts.
    If I was working on something and the dog was around
    generally I only had to open the dog's mouth to find
    whatever was missing.
    One time the dog came by and was squeaking, maybe she needs a lube?
    Opened her mouth and she was carrying a baby mouse unharmed.

Budget36, WalkerMD and connielu like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I misplace at least one or two eBay items per month, found one after a long search, put it down, and looked for another item, I NEVER MOVED. Item two was right were it should be, but the misplaced one was lost again! I really thought I might be loosing my mind as well. I knew it was within arms reach but couldn't find it. Turned out I placed it down up side down and it took on a totally different appearance.

Budget36, alanp561, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  29. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I hate wasting 1/2 hour looking for something I had in my hand 3 minutes ago.I don't remember having this problem 30 years ago.And yes I often discover a neat part I forgot I had when I'm looking for something else.Now if I need a part I'm pretty sure I don't have ,I'll look for it in the "most likely to be" area anyway.Worked the other day when I needed a Ford starter solenoid I was ready to go to the parts store and buy.

X-cpe likes this.
  30. We have one of everything, and two of some things… but the inventory control is lacking.

jetnow1 and Budget36 like this.