Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Featured History So where did all the fur come from on the dash?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roothawg, May 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I am a custom newbie and I have been researching a car that I really like.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Jerry_Koller's_1955_Ford

I have never understood the origins of the angel hair or fuzzy dashes. Guys spend so much time smoothing everything to be crisp and clean and then glue a bunch of dept store fur on the dash.

What's up with that? Not saying it's wrong, just not my bag. I like pleats and rolls.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ha, and I wondered for years about chromed glove box doors:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Chrome glove box doors come from the chrome shop. Furry stuff comes from the fur shop.

rjones35, czuch, Stooge and 4 others like this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I think the chrome glove box doors were so you could see the furry stuff (at least they were furry back in the day).

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

I prefer woodgrain and a teak steering wheel.....:cool:

scotty t likes this.
  6. HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems kinda goofy in hindsight. I'm sure all the build ideas of today will stand the test of time... right?

dana barlow, Roothawg and lurker mick like this.
  8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It started the way all trends start. Somebody does something to be different and others copy it.

Roothawg and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. Yes sir thats why they were chromed.:D

10. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

So, was it a South Central thing like Cheech's '63 low rider Impala???? Cue in some WAR!!!! :D:cool:

Roothawg likes this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I think they pulled all the hair from naugy's hides.

sunbeam, vtx1800, hendelec and 2 others like this.
  12. Sad to think of all the Naugas that were sacrificed just so some Kustom guys could have a cool interior.:rolleyes:

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I always found if I could get a seat cover that looked like this behind my chrome chain steering wheel I would even put fur on my door panels! 414.jpg

14. 36roadster

36roadster

My fur is actually my hair as it falls out, I just stick it on with double sided tape. What I cant figure out is these guys who fix up old cars, make the roof shorter, put in big motors, take the fenders off....

49ratfink and Roothawg like this.
  15. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

JENUWINE NAUGAHIDE ?

hendelec likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Whatever you do don't paint your metal dashes with gold flake . The sun reflects off it and you can't see shit. I had my Falcon like that and had to put a cover on it when I drove it.
    How many guys remember a process called flocking where the whole out side looked like fur ?

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I do!
    In the late 60's early 70's there was a guy who had a long low 4 door Lincoln with rear suicide doors and it had a fuzzy finish. As I understood it then, they shot with the glue whatever it was, and then electrically charged the gun and car to shoot the fuzz and get it to stand on end.
    The same guy also had an old Harley with a 327 sbc mounted in the modified frame with a regular pie cut cheater slick for a rear wheel that he drove up town.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Barris flocked the Batmobile. My 4-and-5 year old sons gave him the 'business' about it at the Monterey Kar Kapades in '74(?) Rod Powell's show...

I remember the little fur rings that surrounded the rear view mirror. Somebody said, "Hey...Why not the whole..."
    I dig hair, but fur's a different species. (LOVED the chrome glove box 'reflection'!!!)

hendelec likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

I got some of that in a Ziploc baggie.... I use it for model cars...

20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Mid 60s in Branch Wisconsin all the hot cars hung out around the Branch Cheese Factory because most of the workers were car guys including the owners 4 sons ( Dennis,Dave, Dan, Doug, Faken ). Man it was a great place to be teenager, so anyway I stopped to look at a black 4 door Lincoln convertible (like J.F.K.s car only red interior ) and it had a Mirror mounted under the Dash on the passenger side.:cool:

Thanks for the memory hook J.A.

21. noboD

noboD

I knew a guy that flocked the whole interior of a '64 Corvette, dash, roll bar, etc. It went out of style before he ever finished the car, not that it really ever was in style.

22. VANDENPLAS

VANDENPLAS

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

47 years ago I had a chrome glove box cover, angel hair on the rear shelf, a tiny steering wheel, and tassles hanging from the mirror. I thought I was all that and a bag of chips and now you guys are laughing at me....
    Hell, I'm laughing at me to !!! :):):)

John B, czuch, zzford and 6 others like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Works for me...my '57 Chevy PU has a chrome glove box door...one of the first things I did back in the day, was make sure it had that mirror like reflection to it when I was heading out;)

25. What door panels?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ramblin dan and Sky Six like this.
  26. scrap_metal

scrap_metal
    from OC, CA

The fury foofoo dash came about to cover up great custom dashes that were hacked to gather.:eek:

27. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

chryslerfan55 and Sky Six like this.
  28. 392

Where did it come from. The fur store.

Phillips likes this.
  29. The first car that I saw that had been "flocked" was a dark Green '62 T-Bird that lived outside. I always wondered what happened when the owner needed to wash it!:eek:

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In my part of the world it was bits cut from bathroom mats glued to the top of Ford Cortina Mk3 dashes, using contact adhesive which would not prevent the edges of the mats from curling up. It was very much associated with a Certain Element: the so-called 1-2-3 Man (one-litre cheap brandy, two-litre Coca-Cola, three-litre Cortina), white, stocky, moustached, racist, and generally not very bright.

The "lawn on the dash" was usually seen with transparent plastic wind-deflector bubbles on the front side windows and a black plastic venetian-blind affair over the rear window. These cars also had a characteristic speedboat stance, because spacing the wheels out so they protrude slightly past the wheel arches made lowering the front almost impossible, especially if you've never heard of bigs and littles – or think it means the biggest tyres you can find on the back and one size smaller on the front. In later years they discovered the monochromatic thing, and pinstripe tape over the headlights. But to be honest I haven't seen a "zeff" Cortina in ages.

My cousin had the idea at the time to make little plastic lawnmowers, to be installed on the dash ...