Register now to get rid of these ads!

So what's your favorite AFX car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Oct 28, 2004.

1. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Since I have been seening a lot of post on what people's favorites are I thought I would post one. What is your favorite 60's AFX car? Mine would have to be Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick's 1963 Pontiac Tempest "The Tamless Tiger".

2. long island vic

long island vic

seatons shaker...... im looking for the voodoo vega

3. The ORIGINAL one:Sachs and Sons Comet.End of story.

4. Greezy

Greezy

This is a toughy....could be Harrops Flying Carpet, Faubels Hemi Honker, Lindamoods Color Me Gone, oh hell lets just say the A990 Dodge and Plymouths 65 altered wheel base cars.

5. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I'm not a Dodge fan but those cars are bad ass!!! Chevy 2 much was awsome also.

6. slacker

slacker

hey Zettle's here ya go.I pulled this pick off of another board that I belong to.

Attached Files:

7. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

I like this one...you do mean AFX slot cars right?

Attached Files:

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How about the Richard Petty '65 barracuda? [​IMG] Too hard to pick from all the great Mopars. Ford had some cool ones too.

Josh

9. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

No, I mean the AFX drag cars. Slacker, who ones the Zombie now? I heard that Rob Bruce sold it.

10. 46stude

46stude

The Iowa Shaker.

BTW, anyone else notice the gasser'd VeeDub running against Petty? [​IMG]

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The Barracuda IS an AF/X car Zettle. Notice the Altered WB. [​IMG] I'm not sure about the VW though. Looks more like a gasser.

Josh

12. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

isnt that a tyco?...not that it matters

13. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

SinisterCustom, I know the Cuda is a A/FX, I meant that this post was about A/FX drag cars NOT slot cars.

14. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I mean the AFX drag cars. Slacker, who ones the Zombie now? I heard that Rob Bruce sold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err that there's what we call a joke 'round these parts stranger... [​IMG]
    PS I think its an old Arora?

15. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I guess I been had!!

16. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Truth is, the altered-wheelbase cars were never legal in A/FX. The Fords and Comets dominated that class in NHRA in 1965 when the MoPars were deemed illegal. That was one of the things that drove the spiral of lightening, increased modification, and exotic fuels that became Funny Car. The altered wheelbase cars were what generated the name.

Fran Hernandez at Lincoln-Mercury decided he was not going to be one-upped again in 1966, so he called the Logghe brothers to build some new cars. They were the flip-top Comets that were essentially unbeatable in 1966.

Oh, and to answer the question, my favorite would have to be Don Nicholson's '65 Comet, although by the end of the year, it wasn't legal for A/FX any more.....

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Sorry Zettle, forgot about the slot above. [​IMG] My bad!

Josh

18. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

What class were the Altered wheelbases put in then?

19. [ QUOTE ]
    The Iowa Shaker.

BTW, anyone else notice the gasser'd VeeDub running against Petty? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think the VW belonged to Gene Mori.It was later painted blue and called the CheVWagen(had the VW logo painted on the doors).I have a pic of that car taken at Aquasco(MD)in 1965 or 66.Also had a pic of the Ramchargers altered wheelbase Dart and Macolm Durham's Strip Blazer IV(A Corvair glass body painted Magenta that had just been lengthened and not painted yet).I was stationed in Maryland and used to go to Aquasco regularly.That was before Budd's Creek was built.I'll have to dig into my archives for them.

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    The Barracuda IS an AF/X car Zettle. Notice the Altered WB. [​IMG] I'm not sure about the VW though. Looks more like a gasser.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Gene Morrie's(sp?) "Chevwagon" I think it ran in the altered class. (engine set back and no fenders) One of our local heros.

My favotie was Ronny Sox 65 Comet. The one year he ran a Mercury. The Mopars just stood up and went. His Comet launched like a frog. It leaped from the line, squatted again and it was gone. Damn that car was impressive. to me at least.

21. Greezy

Greezy

Wasnt 65 the year they grouped the A/FX and S/S cars together, and started running the bracket starts during elimination rounds? I know they did that for quite a while prior for the eliminator finals.

22. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Tommy, I've seen that car in old videos, I know what you mean by hopping off the line. The Georgia Shaker was always a good one for that also.

23. Way to go!

My fav was the "Mr. Unswitchable" Pontiacs. Awesome cars.

Joel [​IMG]

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Jess Tyree, Mr. Unswitchable, always liked his '65 GTO

25. 46stude

46stude

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the VW belonged to Gene Mori.It was later painted blue and called the CheVWagen(had the VW logo painted on the doors).I have a pic of that car taken at Aquasco(MD)in 1965 or 66

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool- thanx for the info. I know Ryan frowns on too many VW discussions, but I figure that one was safe to point out!

26. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The altered wheelbase cars ran in U/S (Ultra/Stock) in AHRA, which was the equivalent of A/FX. It should be noted that the magazines of the day (Hot Rod, in particular), called these A/FX cars despite the fact that they were not legal.

In '65 when the whole deal was going wild, Stock Eliminator was run among the top Stock classes and Factory Experimentals. As I look through the binder that has the Hot Rod magazines from '65, it appears the scheme for running the eliminators may have changed from the beginning to the end of the year. At the Winternationals, there were Top Stock, Factory Stock (this is where the A/FX cars ran), and Junior Stock eliminators. In addition, the B/FX and C/FX cars ran in Street Eliminator. By the Nationals at Indy, there were only Top Stock and Junior Stock. The A/FX cars ran in Top Stock, with a handicap start against the other top Stock classes. The winner at Indy was a AA/S '64 Ford.

When campaigned at NHRA events, the early Funny Cars were classed as Altereds or (in the case of those running fuel) as B/FD (that's right; B/Fuel Dragster).

By 1966, there were a group of classes (/XS)for Experimental Stockers i.e., Funny Cars. They raced in Super Eliminator for a while until Funny Car was established as its own eliminator.

The Super Stock classes as they are now (approximately) arrived in '67, along with a change to Super Stock Eliminator and Stock Eliminator. Funny Car Eliminator arrived that year also.

The class structures were in tremendous flux through these years, and there were a lot of races that were conducted under match-race rules. Damn, it was exciting.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Check out this document from the Chrysler factory about telling their Factory drivers to refrain from wheelstanding.
    Hope this turns out. [​IMG]

Josh

28. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

AnimalAin, good stuff, thanks for the info!!!What was the name of the '64 Ford that won?

29. Oh how I love that old Class....Melrose Missle!

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Another Mor-power! [​IMG]