Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features So what's on the shop radio?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Oct 21, 2018.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Is it because I live (at the beach) in SC??? Beach music/Shag and talk radio is what I like.

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The BN and UP dispatchers.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pandora...straight up blues...nuttin else

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Buckethead on Pandora

5. slim tempo

slim tempo

Give me 50's Country/Western. All the dead guys and girls.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I like a lot of that stuff too, mainly because I haven't heard the same songs 50 gazillion times over and over and over.

dan griffin and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I rarely turn it on. Prefer to listen to the sounds of my own anger and frustration.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Old thread from the past but I fired up bo diddley last night, started fixing the passenger door and jumped into figuring out bear claw latch installation.

So if any of you gents are bored later come on over and we'll fire up the shop radio and start on the drivers door.

:p

9. Me too. I would prefer all instrumental . No drums, thank you.

Ben

dan griffin likes this.
  10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Never had a radio going while in shop, however, today I drove my 39 ford pickup thru the country listening to the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Chicken Train, running all day.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have a radio on but at low volume. Just want something in the background. Mostly "classic rock" type stations from the 60's through '90's. I'm 67 and that's what I relate to. Just recently though I found there's a local station that does an hour or more of "unplugged" stuff from the same era on Saturday mornings. Songs are familiar, but just acoustic is an interesting change.

Lynn

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I used to leave a radio on at low volume, but they are just constant wall to wall advertisements now, with occasional bursts of "More Than A Feeling" and "Hot Blooded", so I don't listen to the radio anymore.

13. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

I really like all music but being summer I was really was looking for a good ball game.

Truck64 likes this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Adds have gotten ridiculous. That's why I listen to cd's.

There are times when I'm in the zone and thats when I got the radio blasting. Most times it like exploratory surgery, not sure of the nights plan so then the volumes on low.

Gotta find my Dr. Hook cd now.

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

CBKR - FM out of Canada …. Randy Bachman's "Vinyl Tap" is on now, and in 20 minutes, Holgar Petersen's Canadian Blues show for 2 hrs.

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday evening, all good garage times, the local public radio station (wnij.org) plays blues shows. They’re local, so over the air broadcast, but they stream their shows too.

The rest of the time, it’s probably jazz from (kcsm.org) or prog rock from Delicious Agony. Sometimes WXRT via their streamed service.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not exactly sure what this "radio" thing you refer to is but I was listening to day to Thin Lizzy on the cassette deck whilst repairing the 34 roadster this morning. "I am just a cowboy, lone some on the trial...."

ebfabman likes this.
  18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I like ac/DC and a buddy of mine showed me this, if you like country and banjo you gotta check these guys out. Man can play a banjo !!

scrubby2009 and j hansen like this.
  19. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I am at the point now i cant turn on the radio,its either 70's music or the new country crap, around here they play the same stuff every day,i know what the next song is.it is so hard to find something to listen too.Cant stand "talk radio",like some of the old country,but hardly ever hear it anymore. Harvey

20. If your tunes need a "tune up" and you've got an internet connection in shop check out WWOZ for some new/old tunes you probably won't hear anywhere else. ;)

https://www.wwoz.org/listen/archive/
    :cool:

21. Deuces

Deuces

I can't stand "Journey" and they play the living shit out of those guys every day...... GAG!....:mad:

22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah I can't handle this new country music either. Most of it anymore sounds like a half hearted attempt at 80's pop music...

Deuces likes this.
  23. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Gettin old and slow. Prefer Pandora smooth Jazz and Amazon Ultimate Jazz, in the house and in the shop.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

So, I turn on my old boom box that has a twin cassette recorder/CD player and AM/FM radio sitting in the garage. It used to be the one we brought out when our granddaughter wanted to listen to her music on cassettes or Cds. We had listened to tons of FM rock music over time, but these days, it was easier to drop in a CD for complete album play. Well, that CD era bit the dust. We still have some music on CD discs, but are transferring them to digital music for our players. (Ipod touch and Iphones.) I don’t listen to music on my Android phone.

For the first song that came on the radio was the “Frankenstein” instrumental by Edgar Winter. This song used to get me going at 5 am on the short drive to the early morning waves.

Frankenstein Edgar Winter

The next two songs came from about the same era. In the late 80s-early 90s, our coastal Santa Barbara cruise music.

FIXX SECRET SEPARATION

TEARS FOR FEARS ELEMENTAL

Jnaki

Since we recently got rid of that CD, cassette, AM/FM boom box, that is it for listening to music on the radio era. All of our music is now happily residing on our 2nd gen and 4th gen Ipod Touch music players for quality no commercial music. In the garage project time or during empty living room, drawing notebook time. Nice music makes things go smoothly as it should.

upload_2020-9-16_5-41-1.png

The remnants of that old radio/cd player are still in the garage as the two outside 6 inch speakers were detachable and gave good sound. So, it is a toss up as to which one give the best sound, the two old ones or the two smaller, but powered speakers. POWER seems to help the quality of the sound as well as being a newer technology.

25. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

youtube saved music.

BigDogSS likes this.
  26. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sugar Magnolia

302GMC likes this.
  27. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Victory at Sea episodes on the TV, maybe an old war movie or most often silence. For me it’s down time from a working day. I shut the radio off years ago. I might listen to music when I’m mowing (The Police, Boston, and Lincoln Brewster or Chris Tomlin (yes that’s quite a range:)) but not in the shop. I’m sure silence has already been mentioned...Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

My kids laugh at me because my range of music is everywhere.

Hank Sr. Up to Johnny cash to Dwight yokam. Then 50's to early 90's rock. 30's up blues. So there is no telling what I may be listening too !!

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It is funny how time flies and things change. When we all were teenagers, we listened to the most popular radio shows on the dial and in our hot rods/cruisers. It was just the thing to do. If you did not have one of those always skipping 45 rpm record players sitting on the transmission hump of your car or had a reel to reel tape player sitting just below the dash, the AM Radio was the champion.

Almost every person had an AM RADIO. Whether it was a moving physical dial like a clock for the house and garage counters, it was the only way to listen to music. There was even a portable radio that fit in your jacket, that was it for portable rock/roll and rhythm/blues on the go anywhere.

As pre-teens and teenagers, our lives were involved with AM radios just about everywhere. At the beach, we would cradle our tiny portable AM radios cover them with our towels and gently place our ear on top of the tiny radio speaker for the best sounds at the beach. When we started driving some had radios and others used a portable radio hanging from rear view mirror.

Jnaki

Shop radio? Don’t hold your breath, the title should be replaced by “Music Playing In The Garage.” As we all have a different source for our music. But a small radio? I don’t think so… 2 inch speaker? What kind of quality is that going to provide? That ancient sound versus a set of matched powered speakers to broadcast HD quality stereo sounds from a digitally mastered recording? The size of a modern mp3 device is smaller than the smallest portable radio from 1957-58 era. Time moves on in music.

Phil Collins

Stogy, lostone and wfo guy like this.