Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So, What old car or truck did you grow up with you wish you had now??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustyoldbodyman, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

My dad had a '55 Crown Vic when I was a kid in the early '80s.Old paint and rust with a set of Keystones on it.I thought it was cool to ride laying face down on the floorboard with my one eye peeping through a rust hole at the highway going by underneath.

2. Dan57

Dan57

my dad had a '67 'Vette, 327 4 speed.

3. Anvil 14

Anvil 14

Hmmmm....lets see:My dad's '36 Hupmobile;'52 Chevy half ton;'54 Chev coupe; '61Caddy convertible; '70 Pontiac station wagon.We still have the '52 and '54.I'd like to still have my '70 Dodge Monaco 4dr hardtop;'79 Chev Impala 2dr Sport Coupe.Oh..my uncle's '67 Chevy stepside shortbox,and his '59 Pontiac 4dr hardtop.On the heavy side, i'd still like to have my Dad's '56 White 5000,and his '58 White 9000 highway tractors.He wants his '47 Mack back.

4. jroberts

jroberts

My dad taught me how to drive on a '40 Plymouth four door. It had a ding or two but as I remember it was a solid old car. The problem with it was that it had a rod knock. Dad drove it anyway. My job each afternoon when he came home was to check the oil and fill it up. It used so much oil that dad refused to buy "new" oil. Instead he bought "reconstituted" oil from Sears. It came in glass bottles. I remember one day putting 4 quarts in that old car. Finally dad looked for another engine in a junk yard but they all seemed to have the same problem that ours did. He would put a late model V-8 in it no matter how hard I begged. The dreams of a 14 year old were crushed when he traded it for a '57 Dodge station wagon.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My dad had a red '58 Chevy pickup when I was just out of hi school. First vehicle he ever owned that I wish I could have bought. I swapped a 327 in it for him, and when he sold it I didn't have the $800 that he sold it for, but I sure wished I could have bought it!

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Nice '34 Ford half ton, bought by a high school buddy from a used car lot in early 60s out by Taconic Parkway. I bought it from his dad as my buddy wanted to sell it to get married while in Air Force. Solid truck, no rust, I put a 283" Chevy in it against Ford driveline and in a weak moment traded it off in '63 for a sports car (yeah I know, heretical but I was young).

7. retromotors

retromotors

I'd like to have my first-ever car, a '37 Ford coupe with a DeSoto hemi shoehorned into it. This was around 1959.
    Being I'm now a relatively dumbass old fart instead of a totally dumbass 15 yr. old, I probably could make it last a lot longer than the couple months I owned it by:
    1) Realizing that no matter how tight the engine compartment is, you gotta have a cooling fan!
    2) Not letting a "friend" named Butch drive the car and practice his full throttle first to second power shift, much to the dismay and demise of the Ford toploader.

And oh yeah .... to save confusion & embarrassment:
    When you look at your carburetor and the cast-in logo says
    CARBURETTER
    don't go into the parts house looking for stuff for your Buret carb ...!!!:D

I did mention dumbass, didn't I?

8. Dad's 64 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door hardtop.
    Silver metallic, black vinyl roof, black leather, with angled gauges and wood grain dash,389, 4 barrel, slim jim trans. I did drive it occasionally but it was his Last Ride. I got a chance to trade it for a 62 Vette I wanted. Being a car guy he said "Go ahead and trade, just lend me your 52 Chevy until I find another car!" Sadly he died soon after at 47. Last picture I have is him sitting in my 52, grinning about the great deal I got on the Vette! That was in 72. Still miss him every day. Only car I would want back.

9. silversink

silversink

I have 2--- 1935 Plymouth---1935 Lafayette town car.

10. 21tat

21tat

Forty-nine Ford. Love that car. Got one.

11. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

No doubt, Dad's '52 Pontiac or his '55 Pontiac 2dr/hard top, or his '64 Grand Prix. Those were the days!

12. lurking luddite

lurking luddite

My old man had alot of old cars, the one I played in as a kid was a 1912 IHC, 2 cylinder horizontaly opposed on solid rubber. Ran it on model T coils with a nail driven in a 12 battery half way to run on 6 volts. I could finally crank it up about 13 yrs old. Still have it in the garage. He bought it in 1947. The one that bothered me he sold was a 1909 Caddilac beautiful car.

13. My 41 Merc. cp. with a 50 Merc. for power.

14. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

'34 Ford with 312 Y block, being poor really sucked, sold a bunch of neat cars over time because eating and sleeping in a dry place seemed important...."when i was 17, it was a very good year"! LOL

15. duke182

duke182

papaw's 67 f-100
    dad's 55chevy
    both long gone.

16. I would say: my old '41 Chevy pick-up! (It's still in the family, my brother owns it.) I also had a rust/dent free '48 Chevy panel truck back in the early '70s I wouldn't mind still owning. Then there was my first car: a '51 Austin Devon sedan. The list goes on.... But I am happy with what I have now ('29 Chevy sedan) but am considering trading it for a '50s sedan! I just like all kinds of different cars, and you can't look back!

17. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

lol .none that i had growing up they were all peices of crap.

18. pcterm2

pcterm2

1964 Plymouth fury 426 max wedge

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

My Dad had a 50 Chevrolet Pickup
    He traded it in in 1962 on a 57 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery
    My Uncle had a 59 Chevrolet 2 door hardtop.
    My Great Aunt had a 54 Chevrolet Bel Air

20. swbatt

swbatt

I bought this car is 1971 for $60.00 and while it was in a garage fire, I never let it get away. Should be putting engine number three in it this Saturday, if the rain holds off.

21. 61TBird

61TBird

This...(that's me in the stroller,circa '64:D)

[​IMG]

22. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

When I was a kid my folks had a '59 Mercury commuter 2 door station wagon, man I thought that car was the coolest thing in the world, still wish they hadn't junked it when I was a teenager...if I could find one today......

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

I used to play in a 1932 ford coupe body that was all shot full of holes in our local gravel pit. Went back there when i was 19, it was gone....

24. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I wasnt gonna get into this post, but I kept passing it by and it kept bugging me. My old man offered me our 47 Dodge, deluxe coupe, he was goin to trade it, in '56 to buy a new car. I had a pretty nice 41 Ford busines cpe. and I was so happy to have a Ford V8, I mean back then the Fords were king to us kids, they were the cool car to have. But the Dodge had a rebuilt engine and lotta work done on brakes, cooling, etc, so for practical reasons I gave the Ford to Dad to trade in. he was happy I did that. But I really didnt give it the respect it deserved, altho, it faithfully performed its duties, no matter how much I beat it. Now everytime I see one fixed up or stock they just look so cool lowered etc. and now in hindsight wish i had fixed mine up, and give it the HEMI it deserved backntheday.

Ohh, and what did Dad get?? a brand new '56 Chevrolet 2dr post w stick an OD! ggggg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  25. Deuces

Deuces

First car I had was a '68 Camaro convertible 327 with a 'glide... The top was manual...:rolleyes: Still wish I had it... I sold it to a buddy of mine in '78 and still has it today...

26. My Dad built a 64 bug, that had rolled over.. chopped and replaced the roof from a 62 bug. All gas welded, filed & metal finished. He asked me what color I wanted it, he painted it red. I came home, seen it painted and lost my mind. Especially when he told me he sold it.. I'd like to find it one day!

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I'm 27, when I was a kid in the 80's dad drove a 56 Ford wagon, black and white with a red and white interior with the weird woven paper headliner Fords had in perfect shape, it had a 312 4BBL dual exhaust and a Ford-a-matic and a factory spot light, spent many great hours road tripping in that car, it had such a great sound with the Y-block, just before she left my mom forced him to sell it... she took the money... I searched as best i could for that car from about 1987 till a couple of years ago when my dad spotted it in an industrial yard 300 feet from where my older brother works (he was conceived in that car LOL) been trying to buy it from the current owner ever since, but he likes being able to lord it over us that he has it and we don't... maybe one day we will be reunited.

the car had factory seat belts, padded dash, padded visors, radio, clock, the works, right now all the goodies except the spot are gone, it got used as a parts car at some point...

28. screwball

screwball

I was not one of the lucky ones my dad rode the bus and didnt like cars at all. Must have been my hot wheels. Or the hot rods I saw on the street.

29. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

My grandpa had a 64 GMC - 10. It was orange with a hideous stripe of gray and black down the body line. Had a hot 327 under the hood. I loved that old truck, probably why I fell for my 61 Sub. He also had an early 70's "Duce and a Quarter", black and two door.

Dad had a 68 Ford truck with a 289 and a four speed, red and white long bed. It was the 80's, so it had a wide set of Western white spokes, a roll bar, brush guard, and KC's with smiley face covers.

Mom had about three first generation Monte Carlo's that I can remember, all of them raked and complete with aluminum slot wheels, one of them being a big block. Dad had a black mid 70's Lemans too, and a V8 Monza Spyder.