Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So, What old car or truck did you grow up with you wish you had now??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustyoldbodyman, Sep 17, 2010.

1. My dad had a '36 Ford 5W coupe he bought and put a newly rebuilt flatty in it around 1952. He had it before I was born and sold in to buy a pickup in 1970........many hunting trips and fishing adventures in that car. My Mom's daily driver was a '55 Chevy 2 door sedan...265/auto and it ran until traded for a '67 Belair .

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Didn't grow up with, I was just a snot-nosed 20-something kid.
    I'd trade all of my current rides for the Dodge coupe dirt-track stocker and tow-car, a '50 Ford convertable.

3. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

My dad had 55 Cameo, 67 ford f 150 and 67 buick Rivi. I still have the Ford and the Rivi but I would do anything to have the 55 back. My dad sold the 55 in 1978 for $500. I can only imagine what it would be worth now!

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My Dad had a black '39 Ford Coupe with a 6-71 Merc in it. The blower was driven with 4 bicycle chains and the fuel tank was pressurized by a hand pump on the steering column. Since then, I've always wanted a '39 Ford Coupe. Maybe some day.......

5. Clark

Clark

Any of my father's racecars.
    Clark

Attached Files:

6. When my wife and I were just starting out in our very early 20s we had a pristine 67 chevelle that we bought for 500.00 bucks from the little old original owner. It had a v8 327 (as I recall) and my dear wife was rear ended in it crumpling the uni body to totaled condition. My wife was ok save for a bit of whiplash.

We didn't really appreciate it, it was our first car and that was all that mattered.
    It was a very nice ride that never gave us much trouble.

I can't say the same for it's replacement, a 67 dodge coronet that wouldn't start on mornings when southern California experienced Santa Anna winds. :eek:

Try explaining that to your boss.

The dodge also dropped the drive bolt on the 22 freeway on the way home from my parents house on ...... Christmas eve. And we couldn't find 4 piston calipers for the blasted thing either.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  7. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

My 58 Chevy wagon--PO blew up the 348--had a 62 409w/ dual carbs.Trade a 60 Ranchero and $300.00 for it in 1972,and drove the hell out of it till 1977.Sold it to my shit-head brother,who wrecked it a couple of times,then decided to JUNK IT!! when the trans blew.STILL pissed about it!

Attached Files:

8. My '59 Ford Galaxie tudor hardtop.352 3 speed,solid.Paid $1 for it when I was 1969 and my dad and brother got it running on my 13th birthday.It made a great field car but I wish I'd put in a barn to save for now!

9. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I wish I had my uncle John's '54 Merc Wagon, or his '58 Caddy, or the '68 Dodge Charger 440 RT, or my uncle Howard's Packard 120. I would like to have my Dad's '56 Chrysler, also.

10. Clark, I understand completely! I well up when I think of actually getting dads old (OLDS) back:eek:

11. silversink

silversink

the 1935 Plymouth pickup I learned to drive back in the early 60s on the farm.

12. mt94ss

mt94ss

Any of my Grandma's cars (my mom's mom). She used to get a new car every year or two. Most were 2-doors. She had Pontiac's in the early '50s, switched to Chevys in '55, even had a pink '57 - I think it was 2-tone stick, my mom has the photos somewhere. Then she switched back to Pontiac in '62 and she had a '64 that was red with white interior - COOL.

Her last new car was a '70-ish LeMans sport - rootbeer with a vinyl top and buckets. My cousin has it now.

Also my dad worked at the Chrysler dealership in Longview, WA in the mid '70s - got to drive some of those - 6-packs, hemis, even a couple old 300's w/cross ram intakes.

Brings back good memories...

Mike

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I was either smart or lucky---I kept mine.

14. There's a few...!

Dad owned several great cars in the '60s and '70s, especially. I'd like his '63 T-Bird the most, then his '66 Mustang GT 289 4-speed, '53 GMC 1/2-ton, '49 Buick Century 2-dr, '50 Ford 2-dr, and '55 Chevy PU.

Grandpa had a '64 Impala SS he bought brand new. I loved that car.

The ones I had as a kid I'd like to own again? 1966 Bonneville convertible, '66 Mustang coupe, any of the ten or so '64 - '68 full-sized Chevys, '49 Chevy 2-dr, '57 GMC pickup, or the '64 Buick Wildcat.

Of course, the '66 Coronet 500 I bought in 1980, I still own today, so that car is the one I DID own in the day that I kept.

15. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

When I was very, very young my father had a '51 Hudson Hornet and I sure would love to have one of those.

My mother had a 1959 Rambler that, looking back, was surprisingly stylish. I could easily see having one of those with an updated drivetrain, suspension, brakes and such.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 566.jpg My dads old ride ,Running some of the parts on mine and same theme.

17. Saxxon

Saxxon

My dad had a 67 Polara wagon with a 383 in it. Thought nothing of it until I knew better. By then it was hauled away for scrap.

My second car was a 68 mustang with a 302 / auto. Always regret letting that one get away.

18. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'36 three window. Paid $140 in '62. Sold for $325 a year later.
    Made a killing...

19. Marty S

Marty S
    from kentucky

Just 1 of mine.......the 62 Impala bought in 73 for 300 bucks....327,3 on da tree, and not a rust hole anywhere!

all of my Dad's Mercs.....2, 1951 2 doors, a 54 Monterey 2 dr He bought w/no engine and stuffed with a 57 312, and a 59 Monterey 2 dr with a 383. Spent many Sundays riding to the Grandparents in the back window of that monster.

20. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Dad had a 60 Starliner that I thought was butt ugly, but I'd love to have it now. Haven't seen a starliner on the road in ages.

Still have a 60 T-bird resting in his basement for the last 25 yrs or so. Drove that most of the time when i was in college.

I had a 56 Chev 150 2 dr I bought when I got my license in 67 for $175. 6 cyl and 3 spd. Put a stock 327 in it, did all the bodywork, or rather dad did the bodywork and I sanded for what seemed like a couple years. Put chrome reverse whls and baby moons on it with red line tires. My mom always sewed and did upholstery as a hobby, so she redid the seats and door panels. I painted the dash and all the window moldings and got a trim shop to do the headliner and carpet. Drove it in primer until I sold it in 71 to a buddy when I was getting some money together to buy a 69 Vette that I still have. Wish I still had the 56 too.

Here's a major case of dumbass for ya... Bought a 68 442 convert from my sister in law in 76 or 77 for $150. Car had a lot of little dings but was rock solid because it had come out of Georgia with no road salt. Damn thing ran strong. I'd take my stepson who was about 6 at the time and we'd go to a back road near the house and smoke the tires for a couple hundred feet, and he just loved it and wanted to do a burnout every time we left the house in that car.

Anyway, this thing had every option GM offered. Power windows, seats, trunk release, air, cruise, tilt, AM-FM-8 track, you name it and it was on that car and it all worked. So I drove it back and forth to work for a couple years. Got my corvette all back together from some stuff i'd been doing to it, and thought about restoring the 442. But thought just who the hell wants a muscle car that's loaded up like a Caddy. Back then the hot tip was lots of motor and a 4 speed, and to hell with all them creature comforts. So I parted it out. Got maybe 500 total out of the running gear and 5 original styled steel wheels. Thought I'd done good. Who'da thought 25 yrs later the most valuable muscle cars would be the ones loaded with options??? Car-wise that had to be the dumbest move of my entire life.

Learned my lesson on selling stuff with that one, and haven't sold anything since except some daily drivers. Still have a dead stock 46 Chev pickup my dad bought around 56 for 50 bucks. Keep thinking I'll get in gear one of these days and redo it, but have had a hard time getting interested in it as a project. But it ain't going anywhere :D

21. lewislynn

lewislynn

My tagline/signature says it all for me.

22. I sure would love to see this lot full of great memories - keep 'em coming guys....
    My dad used to tell about a perfect rumble seat '36 Ford Coupe he was promised after ther war (WWII) he watched the front end get torn off in an accident his uncle was in right in front of their house... OH and for some reason I can't seem to forget the dark blue '65 Ford full size post two door with a big V8 we got as a loaner one time when the 65 F-100 was at the dealer... Wonder where that one is - damn it fast!

23. I wish I had two: the Light Blue/White '53 Bel Air 2-dr sedan I came home from the hospital in, and the Seafoam Green/White '54 Ford Customline my dad ran into the ground and then had the I-6 transplanted into a '61 Farilane 500 more-door that was OK for a few years. The Bel Air I remember playing in at my grandma's farm when I was 2 or 3, but the '54 Ford I loved the engine-turned dash trim, the Astra-Dial, the trunk ornament and those Ford crests. I think I cried when I figured out that the '54 was history, and that was when I was 6 or so.

24. ClimisCD

ClimisCD

I remember my stepdad's first car, a 1979 Buick Century. He wasn't much of a mechanic so he never really fixed anything. After a few years he had to keep a case of starting fluid in the back just to get to work.It eventually died so, he let it sit. If one of us kids could fix it we could have it, but the housing commitee said it was an eye sore and made him scrap it. Then there was my aunt's Electra that was longer than the trailer she lived in. I thought it was a limo for the longest time. Also, her neighbor that drove a Ranchero with a camper.

25. busch167

busch167

My first car 1967 Mustang GT fastback, 390 w/4speed, would pass anything on the road but a gas station.
    I can afford the gas now but can't afford to replace the car

26. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

what are you krazy ? All of em . To many to mention .

27. Awesome post so far... My first car was a 1957 Bel Aire 4 door hardtop - 75$ never got it running, really rusty bought it when I was 14. made a bunch of money parting it out. My first driver was a 1961 Impala Bubble Top black with red/white interior, 283, glide - rusty, the powerglide went into neutral at about 75 mph - good thing given the suspension... Sold it over fear of frame rust and possibly the frame breaking... my '61 Brookwood wagon attempts to fill that void, and will do just fine. You guys have more?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  28. boldventure

boldventure

The first car I remember was our '48 Chevrolet 2 dr. sedan, dark blue metallic.
    My first car was a really rusty '61 black Studebaker Lark.
    A good example of either would be kinda neat.

29. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Wish I had my dads 41 Ford two door. It had a sun visor,real spotlight,yellow fog lights,two trico vacuum fans(front and rear),compass,and a hand built custom radio(War time no radio's). It had one one repaint by the Dearborn High scool shop class. The best part was a late Merc eng(cost same as rebuilding the stock engine). Dad sold the car in 1955 to a neighbor. We kept track of the car through three owners,untill about 1964.

30. Well I as a rule don't care for roadsters, much less Duece Roadsters but the Ol' Man's roadster from when I was a kid would be cool. Made a couple of pretty cool road trips in that car when I was real little.

Other than that I would guess I would like to have my '55 Ford or the '58 Merc that were the first cars the wife and I ever had. We had a lot of fun in the old merc. And the Vic was our first ever real hot rod.