Register now to get rid of these ads!

So what engine should I put in my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jxnslotcar, May 5, 2010.

1. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I just traded my 50 Olds for a 54 New Yorker,mainly because the body is in really good shape and the Olds while it rand good had major body rot. Anyway,the Hemi that was in the New Yorker was pulled by the former owner and used in his Coupe so now I have an empty engine bay including no trans. The engine bay is big enough for whatever but I am constrained by money budget as to what I can put in it. I have a 350 4 bolt that could be put in it for a very reasonable amount of money. It would be a 350 with about 300 hp and maybe use an automatic behind it like a 700R4 or TH 350.
    The SBC is used in everything and is overdone but if I really cared about what engine was in the car then I would have kept the Olds with the 303. I just want it to be dependable,maybe put on the set of Lakes pipes that I have sitting in the corner. If I go this route with the SBC then I could probable do something with the wheels and tires and the suspension.
    Is it that far out of line to put the SBC in the New Yorker? Anyone got any good ideas as to tire and wheel combo as well as suspension. This will be a driver. I am thinking I might leave it the original paint for now which is an off white. Suggestions,comments?

2. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I would use a 360 mopar & 727 TF as for the 350 a little gas poured over it and a match, but be careful no other Chevy guys see ya.
    Van

3. No offense...but you already know what you want to do...you're looking for popular approval of your decision...which you aren't going to get.

Looking at the past 50,000 threads covering this same subject, you are going to get 25% of posters telling you that the SBC is a great choice; 25% who say to use anything but the SBC; and 50% telling you to do whatever the hell you want, it's your car.

After all is said and done, you're still going to use the 350 anyway, because you think it makes the most sense for you. You will, however, have grown a defensive attitude about it after having been shot up on the Internet.

This is the only part of your post which should have been made..."Anyone got any good ideas as to tire and wheel combo as well as suspension. This will be a driver. I am thinking I might leave it the original paint for now which is an off white." Hopefully you will get some answers to it after the drama.

4. R Pope

R Pope

While you're at it, put MII suspension and 20" rubber band tires on billet rims and paint all the chrome body colour. Guaranteed Ooohs and Aaahs from the teeny boppers!
    Don't mind me, I just dislike how the car hobby has become a contest to see how many weird places a SBC can be stuffed. We all have to be different the same way as everybody else.

5. zzford

zzford

I'd go aircooled VW.

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Keep it all Mopar!

7. teddyp

teddyp

use the sbc and piss all the mopar guy,s off

8. George

George

Yeah, lets all be sheep! The engine bay is big enough for most anything, so decide what rear sump engine you want to drop in. Mopar engines from vans & pick ups are rear sump.

9. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

as h.s91 said it seems like you made you choice already.if you just want to make it a driver and dont want to spend alot of money then go with the sbc,but if your not in a hurry and can save up some money why not go with a small hemi and trans out of someone elses project that never got finished.just my 2c.

10. The sbc goes in easily with a lot of room just get it running. then look around until you find a hemi or 360 or 383/440 you like

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Whats to decide besides tire and wheel combo,you said you had a limited budget,you got a car,engine and tranny,at least you"ll have a driver,painted steel wheels,maybe some wide whites and work the budget for a big block Mopar later.

12. I guess if I was bucks down and had a chebby it would get a chebby.

If you want to impress some folks you will probably need to find another MOPAR mill. I know where you could get your hands on a whole pile of B/RB stuff real reasonable maybe even trade for it. Or maybe you can trade the new yorker for something that is more SBC friendly.

But getting back to it if I had an SBC and not a lot of cash that is what would go in mine. I'd probably ditch the 700R idea but I'm just not a big fan of OD trannies.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to stray from the topic, but you swapped a 50 Olds, running, for a 54 Chrysler with no drivetrain? Worst trade ever.

Use the Chevy, it won't make any difference.

Brian

14. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

15. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I would like to put a Mopar in it. And maybe putting the SBC in it for now would make sense. At least that way I could drive it and look for a suitable engine tranny/combo. It had a 331 Hemi in it and that is why Superdan bought the car. I have looked at prices of these engines and they are getting what I think is stupid money for them. A 440 would be the best engine for me in terms of cost,ect.
    The problem with putting a SBC in it and changing down the road is that I would have wasted money on a exhaust,ect. I suppose I could make the exhaust kinda universal. It seems with the comments so far is that the best way to go is to keep it all Chrysler and barring that,go ahead and put the SBC in it and then look for a reasonable Dodge engine/tranny combo. I would be happy with a 318 for that matter or better yet a 360. enough torque to pull this heavy car around.
    Now to the other side of my question,wheel/tire/suspension? It does have hub caps and I should take a pic of it and post it so you guys can see what I am working with. It is a 4 door car and will probably never be worth much but I don't really care about that. I am just looking to make it into a driver and as cool looking as I can make it without getting stupid about it. I can paint using the Duplicolor Paint Shop paints-shoot anyone can with this paint and if you have painted with this type of paint before. Does simple look better with these cars or would a Cragar SS or a wheel like that look better-wide whites or white letter,skinny or fat tires,lowered or stock heights,ect?
    I realize that this type of question has probably been asked 25K times before but please bear with me. I am going to be 52 this June. When I was a kid I worked at a truck stop and worked on my cars after hours. I have owned many,many muscle cars,trucks,ect that I put together myself. I really love doing it. From there I went a different direction as I went into the parts/service mgt side of things and have dealt with late model vehicles since then. I own a bike shop and an automotive repair facility. Michigan for the past couple of years has really sucked being the owner of any business. I have been trying to think outside of the box as to what I could do to diversify so all my business is not in one basket. I ended up selling an older motorcycle and buying a 52 Chevy 3100 p/up from a HAMBER (Danimal). I started putting that back together and kept the 216 and 3 spd on the tree. The only thing I have updated to today's specs are the brakes ,where I have put disc brakes on it with a different rear diff,ect. I still have a ways to go on it but it is definitely looking like a truck again. bear with me as there is a point to all of this in that I rediscovered how much I really enjoy and love to work with the old vehicles. I had forgotten. I got thaat 52 3100 back in Sept/Oct and since then bought a 50 Olds 88 that I got running and driving again-traded that for this New Yorker and also bought a 57 Chevy truck cab and front clip from another HAMBer-Superdan. Next week I am going to pick up a rolling chassis for that truck that is comprised of the stock frame that someone has clipped with a Camaro front end as well as put in a rear diff that is posi and has disc brakes. So obviously,I have jumped in with both feet but at the same time have to watch what i spend and just try ot do things right the 1st time around as I can not afford mistakes. That is why I started this thread as most of you never left the old cars or rediscovered way before I did as I have a lot to learn and to remember. I appreciate any and all suggestions,comments criticisms,ect. I am thick skinned and can take it.
    I love all old iron and don't care whether it is 2 doors or 4 doors,an Edsel or a Caddy,they are all cool in their own way and I appreciate each and every one of them. If I was a multimillionaire,I would be collecting cars,trucks,motorcycles,ect that i could drive and work on. While at the same time hopefully helping others and getting them interested in this part of America's history. We need to remember what it is like to work with your hands and the satisfaction a person can get from seeing a finished project,ect. That is one of biggest problems in America today but that is another thread. ;)
    Sorry to get off track but I am kinda passionate about the dismantiling of the United States. So back to the New Yorker,I want to make this a driver that looks good and runs good so that It can be enjoyed each and every time it is taken down the road. Hopefully others will see this big old 4 door and be motivated to do their own project and not worry about what others will say about it being an Edsel or a 4 door or whatever other unpopular old car or truck out there. If it has made it this far,it deserves to be repaired,serviced and restored to a certain point so that it can be enjoyed by its driver and others who see it running down the road or at a show. And if it can done with a limited budget,so much the better.
    And Porknbeaner,where are these parts you are talking about and what kinda trade action would someone be interested in? I have lots of bike parts! or even complete bikes. I would rather go Mopar right from the get go if possible as that would be cheaper in the long run if I wanted to have a Mopar engine/tranny in it eventually.

16. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well a buddy of mine just sold a 440 for $600 and it was sweet running to someone from Tennesse. I am not into anything but GM and he had me interested. There are very few reasons not to just wait for the right combo if not a Hemi Chrysler made a lot of great engines.

17. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Brian,I can appreciate what you are saying but let me give you a little background on why. The Olds body was pretty well toast as was the interior so the best part of the car was the engine/tranny and possibly the rear diff and the front sheet metal as it would fit on a Chevy of the same vintage. Mike Brimm wanted to get the engine and front sheet metal for his Chevy but I really did not want to sell it for $$$. Anyway,I went over to Superdan's house to pickup a 57 cab and front sheet metal and I saw this new Yorker sitting there. the car overall is in pretty nice shape. I am not a body man,I am a mechanic. I mentioned that I would like to have the roller because of the shape it was in and I mention that Mike wanted the Olds for the parts. Dan was taking some parts to Mike that night as Mike only lived a few miles from there and they are always trading parts back and forth. I said that I would trade for the Chrysler just because I knew Mike would put the parts from the Olds to good use and hopefully make a killer looking Chevy. Mike works at the GM Design Center in the body shop area so he has some skills. At the time Dan was going to take the Chrysler to the Folwlerville swap meet and unload it there. Long story short. It worked out for all of us. Could I have sold the Olds for more money-sure but it is not always about the money or what something is worth. Personally I appreciate all of the old iron and I am not a body man. The Olds needed a ton of sheet metal work and would have cost way more than what it was worth. I got a really nice body,Mike got the engine and front sheet metal to make a killer custom and Dan was able to get the car out of his yard as he used the 331,out of the New Yorker,in his coupe. BTW Dan had sold his coupe the day I went up to his house to get the 57 cab and front clip. Also I got a pretty good buy on the cab which if you consider the whole deal,it pretty much evens out. Everyone got what they were looking for and I had the saisfaction of taking a old car out of a salvage yard and getting it running-i really enjoyed it. I did spend some money getting it running and probably on the money side of this,it was not a great deal for me but I am not a body man and it would have cost me alot of hours to get it back in shape and what is a 50 Olds 88 4 door worth in terms of money anyway. I am probably not explaining it very well but I though it was good deal as I got a car that the body is in good shape with a good interior-it just needs the mechanical done to it unless I lay a diferent color on it-which I can do.

18. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

If I could find a good deal on an Dodge engine-believe me,I would rather go that way. what do you think about the wheels.tires,suspension. I don't really want to cut off the frame,ect but wondering if anyone has ever modified what is there under these cars?

19. See if you can trade your motor for a different mill, or find a running rusted out mopar and use the drivetrain, my friend got one for $600 not to long ago,

20. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

That is a really good idea! Thank you.

21. 73RR

73RR

If you are truly open to engine ideas then why not look trough Craigslist for a suitable piece?

It took me all of 2 minutes to find this:
    http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/1720857712.html

No, I have no clue how close or far this is from you, but the big Mopars still exist. And if those damned shiverlays are as special as some seem to think then you should easily be able to sell yours for enough to buy a proper engine for the car.

If you install a brand x engine in the NY you will have a car that will have little, or no, appeal to the Mopar side and not much more appeal to the 'other' side. If you ever need to sell it, the value, because of the bastard cross breeding, will be alot less than if it had a Mopar engine.

22. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

73rr the CL listing is already gone. I have a way of looking at craigslist and will try that. Anyone have any ideas as to suspension and wheel/tire combo that would look decent and handle well?

23. Deuces

Deuces

Would an RB 440 bolt in?? I don't know much about them old Chryslers......

24. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

How about a late-model hemi? Too expensive? Try the 4.7 cammer - It's a great little engine.

25. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

26. silversink

silversink

Think old motor homes. I've seen a lot of these low miles and cheap. Most are on dodge frames with automatics.:rolleyes:

27. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I am going to call about the 440 with trans in Belding-that kind of combo would work well in this car especially if it still has the exhaust manifolds and is complete.

28. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Deuces,the RB engine would fit in it,might take a coaxing but it would work and work well-do you know of one laying around?

29. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Why would you change the suspension ? The stock suspension is really very good and any part you need is available. The bolt pattern is 4 1/2 Ford & Mopar and any wheel you want will fit it. Go take a look at the Forward look site and ask lots of question there. Disc brakes for the front are no problem & I would use the 95-2000 Explorer disc brake rear, bolt pattern is the same.
    Van

30. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I like the thought of a 440. A new yorker could really benefit from the torque. If one wanted to much later as funds allowed, dress the 440 like a 413 cross ram... Maybe I'm daydreaming, but I think that would get a few looks.